The Student Room Group

is it possible?

Is it possible to be overweight and anorexic ??
Early stages of anorexia maybe? But there have to weight loss as anorexia is restricting yourself from food for long periods of time.
Maybe you are thinking of bulimia or binge eating? I dunno how an anorexic person could be overweight if they have been anorexic for a long time.
Yeah it is if you've lost a certain amount of weight in a short about of time... I think it's something like if you've lost 15% of your body weught? Although I'm not sure if it would be classified as anorexia - might be classified as EDNOS instead although the criteria had changed recently I think!
The diagnosis for anorexia isn't just about how much you weigh, it's also based largely on how you feel about your eating habits and relationship with food, plus other physical factors such as whether you're still having periods
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Is it possible to be overweight and anorexic ??

Yes.
Anorexia is basically believing you are too fat or trying to keep yourself or make yourself skinny. So somebody could be trying to make themself skinny but not succeeding or be in early stages and it not have a fully noticeable effect yet.

There are also other eating disorders which i'm sure could be similar to anorexia but no present in quite the same way.

Just want to say that if you believe you may have an issue you should see somebody, even if you can't find any condition that matches how you feel or act. If you think there is something wrong it usually means there is. You can talk to a doctor or mental health service.
Yes. Anorexia is diagnosed by eating habits and behaviours, not physical appearance. If you feel like you might have an issue you should talk to someone, message me if you've not got anybody.
Good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest