Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for a dumb question I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for on google!

My plan is to get a new phone and then in a few months get a new sim (with the same number). Will using the new phone with my current sim & plan, and then changing it, do anything problematic at all? iPhone if it matters, have checked it is the same SIM card size.

I know it sounds awkward but I don't want to get tied into a 24-month phone-included contract because I'm planning to move out of the country at some point this year. My current phone has a few problems hence why I want to get the new one now.

But if I can wait a few months for the sim that would be ideal because it'll run out naturally.

Thanks for any advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farawayheartbeat)
    Sorry for a dumb question I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for on google!

My plan is to get a new phone and then in a few months get a new sim (with the same number). Will using the new phone with my current sim & plan, and then changing it, do anything problematic at all? iPhone if it matters, have checked it is the same SIM card size.

I know it sounds awkward but I don't want to get tied into a 24-month phone-included contract because I'm planning to move out of the country at some point this year. My current phone has a few problems hence why I want to get the new one now.

But if I can wait a few months for the sim that would be ideal because it'll run out naturally.

Thanks for any advice!
    If you get a phone on contract, it has a "block" on it that prevents you from just putting another providers sim (or even another sim entirely) into the phone.

You can unblock the phone for a fee (use trusted outlets for that.) so you can use any sim card with it. To get your previous number, ring your provider and ask for a PAK (or is it PUK?) number, write this down and phone your new provider and ask to change your number.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonoLuma)
    If you get a phone on contract, it has a "block" on it that prevents you from just putting another providers sim (or even another sim entirely) into the phone.

You can unblock the phone for a fee (use trusted outlets for that.) so you can use any sim card with it. To get your previous number, ring your provider and ask for a PAK (or is it PUK?) number, write this down and phone your new provider and ask to change your number.
    I will be getting the phone directly from Apple so should be unlocked if I understand correctly? And, until I move away it'll be with the same carrier (ee). Sorry, I should have remembered to have noted that in the original post :-)

ReputationRep:
    I will be getting the phone directly from Apple so should be unlocked if I understand correctly?
    I dont use apple stores so if its not sold with a providers sim card, then no :-)

As to changing it, yeah there should be no problem. All youll need is that PUK/PAK code

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonoLuma)
    I dont use apple stores so if its not sold with a providers sim card, then no :-)

As to changing it, yeah there should be no problem. All youll need is that PUK/PAK code
    I will double check that note but that's great about the sim changing, thanks very much for you advice!

ReputationRep:
    When you first insert a sim into an iPhone, they lock to that sim's carrier/network automatically - therefore, if you plan to use a different Network's sim in it, you'll need to get an unlock code by contacting the network (they are normally free). To keep the same number when transferring between network's request a PAC (pronounced pack) when closing the previous account/contract.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I will be getting the phone directly from Apple so should be unlocked if I understand correctly? And, until I move away it'll be with the same carrier (ee). Sorry, I should have remembered to have noted that in the original post :-)
    Yeah, phones bought directly from Apple are unlocked so you shouldn't have any problems - I've changed networks in the UK and bought new sims for my iPhone when on holiday abroad which have all worked fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sim0)
    When you first insert a sim into an iPhone, they lock to that sim's carrier/network automatically - therefore, if you plan to use a different Network's sim in it, you'll need to get an unlock code by contacting the network (they are normally free). To keep the same number when transferring between network's request a PAC (pronounced pack) when closing the previous account/contract.

Hope that helps.
    That's irritating that they automatically lock! But great to know and shouldn't be a problem for a while for me.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    Yeah, phones bought directly from Apple are unlocked so you shouldn't have any problems - I've changed networks in the UK and bought new sims for my iPhone when on holiday abroad which have all worked fine.
    PERFECT. Thank you!

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.