The Student Room Group

Will changing sim in a few months effect the phone?

Sorry for a dumb question I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for on google!

My plan is to get a new phone and then in a few months get a new sim (with the same number). Will using the new phone with my current sim & plan, and then changing it, do anything problematic at all? iPhone if it matters, have checked it is the same SIM card size.

I know it sounds awkward but I don't want to get tied into a 24-month phone-included contract because I'm planning to move out of the country at some point this year. My current phone has a few problems hence why I want to get the new one now.

But if I can wait a few months for the sim that would be ideal because it'll run out naturally.

Thanks for any advice!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by farawayheartbeat
Sorry for a dumb question I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for on google!

My plan is to get a new phone and then in a few months get a new sim (with the same number). Will using the new phone with my current sim & plan, and then changing it, do anything problematic at all? iPhone if it matters, have checked it is the same SIM card size.

I know it sounds awkward but I don't want to get tied into a 24-month phone-included contract because I'm planning to move out of the country at some point this year. My current phone has a few problems hence why I want to get the new one now.

But if I can wait a few months for the sim that would be ideal because it'll run out naturally.

Thanks for any advice!

If you get a phone on contract, it has a "block" on it that prevents you from just putting another providers sim (or even another sim entirely) into the phone.

You can unblock the phone for a fee (use trusted outlets for that.) so you can use any sim card with it. To get your previous number, ring your provider and ask for a PAK (or is it PUK?) number, write this down and phone your new provider and ask to change your number.
Original post by SonoLuma
If you get a phone on contract, it has a "block" on it that prevents you from just putting another providers sim (or even another sim entirely) into the phone.

You can unblock the phone for a fee (use trusted outlets for that.) so you can use any sim card with it. To get your previous number, ring your provider and ask for a PAK (or is it PUK?) number, write this down and phone your new provider and ask to change your number.

I will be getting the phone directly from Apple so should be unlocked if I understand correctly? And, until I move away it'll be with the same carrier (ee). Sorry, I should have remembered to have noted that in the original post :-)
(edited 7 years ago)
I will be getting the phone directly from Apple so should be unlocked if I understand correctly?

I dont use apple stores so if its not sold with a providers sim card, then no :-)

As to changing it, yeah there should be no problem. All youll need is that PUK/PAK code
Original post by SonoLuma
I dont use apple stores so if its not sold with a providers sim card, then no :-)

As to changing it, yeah there should be no problem. All youll need is that PUK/PAK code

I will double check that note but that's great about the sim changing, thanks very much for you advice!
Reply 5
When you first insert a sim into an iPhone, they lock to that sim's carrier/network automatically - therefore, if you plan to use a different Network's sim in it, you'll need to get an unlock code by contacting the network (they are normally free). To keep the same number when transferring between network's request a PAC (pronounced pack) when closing the previous account/contract.

Hope that helps.
I will be getting the phone directly from Apple so should be unlocked if I understand correctly? And, until I move away it'll be with the same carrier (ee). Sorry, I should have remembered to have noted that in the original post :-)

Yeah, phones bought directly from Apple are unlocked so you shouldn't have any problems - I've changed networks in the UK and bought new sims for my iPhone when on holiday abroad which have all worked fine. :smile:
Original post by sim0
When you first insert a sim into an iPhone, they lock to that sim's carrier/network automatically - therefore, if you plan to use a different Network's sim in it, you'll need to get an unlock code by contacting the network (they are normally free). To keep the same number when transferring between network's request a PAC (pronounced pack) when closing the previous account/contract.

Hope that helps.

That's irritating that they automatically lock! But great to know and shouldn't be a problem for a while for me.
Thank you!
Original post by jameswhughes
Yeah, phones bought directly from Apple are unlocked so you shouldn't have any problems - I've changed networks in the UK and bought new sims for my iPhone when on holiday abroad which have all worked fine. :smile:

PERFECT. Thank you!

Latest

Trending

Trending