The Student Room Group

starting revision

I've got two months for an exam. I'm usually a crammer, I cram for my exams the week of, or the day before. Now that I've got all this time, Im unsure what to do with myself. It feels wrong starting revision this early, it feels like I'll forget it all, but it also feels like a waste of my one chance to change my ways. I am not a consistent person, so I feel like it would be useless starting so early, but if I start later and get stressed, I'm likely to do nothing

any tips for someone starting to revise or general tips? I know what my ideal most effective revision technique is (annotate lecture, make notion notes or handwritten notes summarising L.O's, then making a mind map by hand and voice noting the topic so I can have a quick reminder if I forget. I will sometimes create anki cards if I've got time, and will also try do some MCQ's. It sounds long, but I guess I've got the time to do it)
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've got two months for an exam. I'm usually a crammer, I cram for my exams the week of, or the day before. Now that I've got all this time, Im unsure what to do with myself. It feels wrong starting revision this early, it feels like I'll forget it all, but it also feels like a waste of my one chance to change my ways. I am not a consistent person, so I feel like it would be useless starting so early, but if I start later and get stressed, I'm likely to do nothing

any tips for someone starting to revise or general tips? I know what my ideal most effective revision technique is (annotate lecture, make notion notes or handwritten notes summarising L.O's, then making a mind map by hand and voice noting the topic so I can have a quick reminder if I forget. I will sometimes create anki cards if I've got time, and will also try do some MCQ's. It sounds long, but I guess I've got the time to do it)

I know exactly how you feel, I'll always be waiting too till the last few days to try - It's overwhelming having tons of time, so I really do get it. This is a really general thing I do by the way, if you try it and it doesn't work for you, at least you know it doesn't, one method you can cross off the list!!

My advice would be;

- to take a look at what topics or units will come up in ONE EXAM/SUBJECT FIRST - trying to do multiple will really stress you out, I recommend trying to build your confidence first, so when you get to the other subjects/topics you struggle with, you can always go "Oh, yeah well, I actually slayed that other topic, so I know I'm gonna do good on that!!"

- With the 'building your confidence', definitely start with the topics or units you find the easiest - go through it, take regular breaks, then do some past papers specifically on that topic that lists all the info you've revised. Repeat that with topics or units that you first, really understand, then the ones that are increasngly more difficult for you - best part about that in doing it in your own time, you can spend time on ones you find harder, and when you get that "NOW WAY I GET IT!!" moment, youve broken that barrier down for yourself, AND you feel way more accomplished and proud of yourself, which I've found also helps with retaining it, because you had that "Eureka!" moment at one point, on that particular topic :biggrin:DD

- Best part, if you find yourself getting stressed, you have the time to take a break - if you're anything like me, when I get frustrated I end up crying or angry-crying lol, if you feel that AT ALL, go get a cup of tea, sit away from where youre working and distract yourself a bit. Try and finish what you started though, because leaving it unfinished is like having an almost-completed progress bar in the Sims and it stays like that FOR 2 IN GAME HOURS. That's the worst.

- What I've found as well, sitting, or going somewhere away from your room really helps. You don't have the temptation of your bed to be on your phone, I end up either staying at college and forcing myself to stay there until 4:30pm, or I go to my local library (a friend's house can work too, have a lil study sesh yknow) eventually you just hyperfocus, its great lol

I hope that helps, keep in mind this comes from someone who also REALLY struggles with far away from exam/test revision, I am lazy and sometimes, it does get the best of you! But hey, you reached out because you want to change for the better! And I'm proud of you for that, so you're slaying!!!

Much love and luck, Mik <3
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

Hi,
it seems that you are a uni student, and I do not know if my study tips will help you but I am happy to share them:
If you are talking about a sort of end-of-year exam, then starting two months before is fine. You can slowly start off from earlier learnt and topics that are more difficult for you, then move on to more recent ones. If you have to cram for whatever reason, look at the most difficult topics right before the exam (I really do not recommend staying up late for cramming) and the first thing you do when the exam starts is writing key points of your topic (and anything else relevant that you remember) on the exam paper because you are going to forget (This trick actually worked for me).

Hope that helped:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending