The Student Room Group

sheffield hallam computer science

thinking about what to firm for computer science (BSc) but I've heard really mixed reviews about sheffield hallamcan anyone give me some advice because some people have said the course isn't that great but when I went there I liked it so I'm really conflicted. thanks :smile:
Original post by amp105
thinking about what to firm for computer science (BSc) but I've heard really mixed reviews about sheffield hallamcan anyone give me some advice because some people have said the course isn't that great but when I went there I liked it so I'm really conflicted. thanks :smile:

Hi,

We usually say that as long as you think you'll enjoy the course, and that you would be happy in the city for the duration, then you should be fine :smile: Everyone is looking for something different from a course and a university so it's a really personal decision.

What are your concerns about studying at Hallam? And what did you like about it when you visited?

Hannah
Original post by amp105

hi there! im a first year comp sci student at hallam, and tbh i'm really enjoying it!

the course itself is good, but pretty inflexible. you only choose a couple of modules, and even then that's only in your final year of the course. if you're looking for something that you can tailor-fit to your needs, this isn't it.

the course, quite honestly, is pretty tough! no-one i know has been able to waltz in and "just do well" in every module.

people criticise hallam for not focusing on maths theory, but we do a lot of practical stuff instead. your first programming language you learn with the uni is c++, and we've just started c# and a bit of scripting languages in javascript. rather than having an explicit maths module, everything is kind of implied, and although you think fundamentals of computer architecture sounds pretty easy, there's soo much maths in there. sobs.

the thing that really swayed it for me personally was the city. i didn't get the grades to get into uni of sheff, and due to special educational needs i wasnt particularly interested in going to a redbrick uni anyway. sheffield is huuuge, and very student oriented, and whatever you're into, there's something on. one of my flatmates plays yu-gi-oh professionally here; another one goes to a different pub quiz every night of the week; another goes on hikes around the peaks and clubbing every weekend. whatever you're interested in, you'll find it :smile:

i hope that helped you a bit!! if you have any other questions, feel free to drop them in this thread or in a pm and i'll be happy to answer!!
Reply 3
Original post by username1284913
hi there! im a first year comp sci student at hallam, and tbh i'm really enjoying it!

the course itself is good, but pretty inflexible. you only choose a couple of modules, and even then that's only in your final year of the course. if you're looking for something that you can tailor-fit to your needs, this isn't it.

the course, quite honestly, is pretty tough! no-one i know has been able to waltz in and "just do well" in every module.

people criticise hallam for not focusing on maths theory, but we do a lot of practical stuff instead. your first programming language you learn with the uni is c++, and we've just started c# and a bit of scripting languages in javascript. rather than having an explicit maths module, everything is kind of implied, and although you think fundamentals of computer architecture sounds pretty easy, there's soo much maths in there. sobs.

the thing that really swayed it for me personally was the city. i didn't get the grades to get into uni of sheff, and due to special educational needs i wasnt particularly interested in going to a redbrick uni anyway. sheffield is huuuge, and very student oriented, and whatever you're into, there's something on. one of my flatmates plays yu-gi-oh professionally here; another one goes to a different pub quiz every night of the week; another goes on hikes around the peaks and clubbing every weekend. whatever you're interested in, you'll find it :smile:

i hope that helped you a bit!! if you have any other questions, feel free to drop them in this thread or in a pm and i'll be happy to answer!!

hey im also applying for next september, how often do you guys have holidays and is it a manageable course, ive never studied CS before

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending