The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

uni of sheffield from a londoner

Hi, i am currently doing a gap year as I dropped out of uni and have reapplied to Sheffield for law, I was wondering has anyone from london moved? and how much of a difference is it? also, would it be hard to make friends as someone who doesnt drink or go clubbing
Hi,
It is great to hear that you have applied to Sheffield.
I am not from London, however I do not drink or go clubbing and I've found it really easy to still make friends. There are so many societies and groups at the University, you will be able to meet people through those. Societies have become much more inclusive, so there are also a lot of non-drinking socials and socials that occur during the day so they are not focussed on drinking. I would say try out as many as you can and then choose where you find people you get along with the most. There are lots of people that are at the University who do not drink for various reasons, so you wouldn't feel left out. You will meet lots of people through your course too and in your flat if you are living with other people.

Good luck with everything! I hope this helps :smile:

Evie
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, i am currently doing a gap year as I dropped out of uni and have reapplied to Sheffield for law, I was wondering has anyone from london moved? and how much of a difference is it? also, would it be hard to make friends as someone who doesnt drink or go clubbing

Hi, from my own experience of moving from london to sheffield, the city is a lot smaller which can be way less overwhelming to navigate the city as its so much smaller so you begin to learn your way around pretty quickly! the transport links in terms of buses isn't nearly as frequent as buses in london but sheffield is so compact you can literally walk pretty much everywhere and you'll be fine. also things like food is alot cheaper in sheffield which is an added bonus when doing your food shopping. another difference i noticed was that the city centre is far less busy and hectic with no rush hour or lots of people on the streets the way it can be in london. It is considerably hillier though so be prepared for more hills... although theres less walking to get to places so it makes up for it i suppose :smile:
Hi, from my own experience of moving from london to sheffield, the city is a lot smaller which can be way less overwhelming to navigate the city as its so much smaller so you begin to learn your way around pretty quickly! the transport links in terms of buses isn't nearly as frequent as buses in london but sheffield is so compact you can literally walk pretty much everywhere and you'll be fine. also things like food is alot cheaper in sheffield which is an added bonus when doing your food shopping. another difference i noticed was that the city centre is far less busy and hectic with no rush hour or lots of people on the streets the way it can be in london. It is considerably hillier though so be prepared for more hills... although theres less walking to get to places so it makes up for it i suppose :smile:

ahh omgg thank u sm, ive rlly been waiting for a londoner perspective. i wanna ask a few questions and whatever ur comfortable with reply with, if not then it is also fine. i wanted to ask firstly, what uni and accom are you at? because i am going uos doing law, but my accom is with the forge as i liked their classic studios its like at highfield next to the city centre, or basically at it, in terms of safety and how safe the city is would u say it is safe or safer than london? i am a muslim, hijabi girl, so i do want to make sure i am going to be in a safe area where i feel welcomed and i dont feel out of place. honestly, would be amazing if u had any idea or could help in any way. thank uuuu
ahh omgg thank u sm, ive rlly been waiting for a londoner perspective. i wanna ask a few questions and whatever ur comfortable with reply with, if not then it is also fine. i wanted to ask firstly, what uni and accom are you at? because i am going uos doing law, but my accom is with the forge as i liked their classic studios its like at highfield next to the city centre, or basically at it, in terms of safety and how safe the city is would u say it is safe or safer than london? i am a muslim, hijabi girl, so i do want to make sure i am going to be in a safe area where i feel welcomed and i dont feel out of place. honestly, would be amazing if u had any idea or could help in any way. thank uuuu

i was at sheffield hallam doing sport science but i dropped out because i just felt like it wasnt right for me, but I then applied for geography at uni of sheffield and have received an unconditional offer so will deffo be back in sheffield this september! I cant wait to start fresh at UoS as i already made friends with uni of sheff students whilst i was at sheffield hallam and continue to visit them every so often, also like going back to sheff once in a while as its such a lovely city with friendly northerners, green spaces and nice city centre. i stayed in westhill hall (hallam uni only students) which was right next to devonshire green and division street (i dunno if you know about the diff areas in sheffield, but division street has lots of vintage, second hand clothing stores, bars and restaurants). in terms of safety, i always felt really safe even at night walking alone from the clubs (as my uni of sheff lived in different accom sometimes i had to do this) but not once did i walk home alone in the dark feeling unsafe. such a large portion of the city is students that you are with people of similar age who arent creeps or anything and are just there for a good time as well. there were times where there would be homeless men/ guys on drugs who would go around begging for money but they were never agressive, shouted or got up in your face or anything like that as long as you ignore them theyre absolutely fine. deffo safer than london, i could walk alone even. at night or down alleyways and was not stressed or worried about my safety! in terms of diversity though im not gonna lie it was no where near as diverse as london. id say its like 80% white people pretty much (the rest where international students from places like korea, japan, china). there where deffo other people but in terms of muslim ppl, i dont really remember seeing very many if im being genuinely honest, but i imagine if you join a society catered to muslim students youll meet more people who are also muslim.

other info:
even tho i was at sheff hallam i always felt welcomed by the uni of sheffield students and they were so lovely and UoS always had social events going on during the day like guest speakers, drawing classes, shows. the city also has quite a few high streets as well with your basic everyday shops centred in the same area. The Moor Market is a market selling fresh meat,veg,fruit, cultural wear, random stuff etc for REALLY cheap!!!) then theres lots of other restaurants/shops you need (iceland, sainsburys, sports direct, jd, nandos, poundland etc) all centered outside the market with no cars along that area so lots of space to walk. then if you walk like 5 minutes you come to peace gardens which has little stalls with people selling their own small business products, the water fountain and sheffield city hall which looks amazing its so pretty! then behind peace gardens 15 minutes from there is the train station which occasionally got busy during football matches but i think that was like one time it actually got busy, but not even busy, as a londoner whos seen the rush hour, it would deffo not be considered busy here lol. and another 5 minute walk from peace gardens and there is another two highstreets connected to each other with lots of shops and restaurants including lush, paperchase, h&m, greggs, kfc, mcdonalds, boots etc. (no cars or anything so lots of space to walk freely like at moor market) then theres lots of quirky, smaller roads with smaller, lesser known shops and restaurants dotted around the city centre.

the forge is really close to aldi so if you want to do a cheap shop then its really handy, around that area theres quite a few asian restaurants, shops etc as well, i think in terms of students at the forge it is mainly sheffield hallam students not uni of sheffield, as sheffield hallam advertise the forge as one of their own accommodation buildings so you might not really get many UoS students, but just letting you know incase you werent aware :smile:
i was at sheffield hallam doing sport science but i dropped out because i just felt like it wasnt right for me, but I then applied for geography at uni of sheffield and have received an unconditional offer so will deffo be back in sheffield this september! I cant wait to start fresh at UoS as i already made friends with uni of sheff students whilst i was at sheffield hallam and continue to visit them every so often, also like going back to sheff once in a while as its such a lovely city with friendly northerners, green spaces and nice city centre. i stayed in westhill hall (hallam uni only students) which was right next to devonshire green and division street (i dunno if you know about the diff areas in sheffield, but division street has lots of vintage, second hand clothing stores, bars and restaurants). in terms of safety, i always felt really safe even at night walking alone from the clubs (as my uni of sheff lived in different accom sometimes i had to do this) but not once did i walk home alone in the dark feeling unsafe. such a large portion of the city is students that you are with people of similar age who arent creeps or anything and are just there for a good time as well. there were times where there would be homeless men/ guys on drugs who would go around begging for money but they were never agressive, shouted or got up in your face or anything like that as long as you ignore them theyre absolutely fine. deffo safer than london, i could walk alone even. at night or down alleyways and was not stressed or worried about my safety! in terms of diversity though im not gonna lie it was no where near as diverse as london. id say its like 80% white people pretty much (the rest where international students from places like korea, japan, china). there where deffo other people but in terms of muslim ppl, i dont really remember seeing very many if im being genuinely honest, but i imagine if you join a society catered to muslim students youll meet more people who are also muslim.

other info:
even tho i was at sheff hallam i always felt welcomed by the uni of sheffield students and they were so lovely and UoS always had social events going on during the day like guest speakers, drawing classes, shows. the city also has quite a few high streets as well with your basic everyday shops centred in the same area. The Moor Market is a market selling fresh meat,veg,fruit, cultural wear, random stuff etc for REALLY cheap!!!) then theres lots of other restaurants/shops you need (iceland, sainsburys, sports direct, jd, nandos, poundland etc) all centered outside the market with no cars along that area so lots of space to walk. then if you walk like 5 minutes you come to peace gardens which has little stalls with people selling their own small business products, the water fountain and sheffield city hall which looks amazing its so pretty! then behind peace gardens 15 minutes from there is the train station which occasionally got busy during football matches but i think that was like one time it actually got busy, but not even busy, as a londoner whos seen the rush hour, it would deffo not be considered busy here lol. and another 5 minute walk from peace gardens and there is another two highstreets connected to each other with lots of shops and restaurants including lush, paperchase, h&m, greggs, kfc, mcdonalds, boots etc. (no cars or anything so lots of space to walk freely like at moor market) then theres lots of quirky, smaller roads with smaller, lesser known shops and restaurants dotted around the city centre.

the forge is really close to aldi so if you want to do a cheap shop then its really handy, around that area theres quite a few asian restaurants, shops etc as well, i think in terms of students at the forge it is mainly sheffield hallam students not uni of sheffield, as sheffield hallam advertise the forge as one of their own accommodation buildings so you might not really get many UoS students, but just letting you know incase you werent aware :smile:

ahh thank uu honestly, this was so so helpful. yeah i know that the forge is mainly sheff hallam students and to be honest as long as i meet decent people and my type of people in the city i dont mind which uni it is. but yeah thank u sm, im not familiar with the areas but i have noted down everything u have told me about the diff areas, and places, etc. THANKKK YOUUU wish u the best
hi! I just wanted to comment bc I’m also from london and on a gap year and going to Sheffield for law !!
omggg r u a girl or a boy? **that’s such a crazy coincidence
Original post by raniaaaaa
omggg r u a girl or a boy? �*�*that’s such a crazy coincidence

I’m a girl lol and I know!! we should be friends haha
Original post by minecraftcow
I’m a girl lol and I know!! we should be friends haha

for sureee!! do u have insta or snap? i don’t mind any!
Hi, I’m a girl also from London who’s looking to study law at Sheff, have taken gap year too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending