The Student Room Group

Sheffield Hallam vs Nottingham Trent

Trying to decide which uni to go to, got unconditionals in all. I've seen hallam is a bit bigger but guessing it's got more mature students (I'm not), ntus got better facilities. Sheffield is very close so not sure if that's a good or bad thing. if you've got any ideas, experience or advice please comment, I'm too indecisive.
Original post by Anonymous
Trying to decide which uni to go to, got unconditionals in all. I've seen hallam is a bit bigger but guessing it's got more mature students (I'm not), ntus got better facilities. Sheffield is very close so not sure if that's a good or bad thing. if you've got any ideas, experience or advice please comment, I'm too indecisive.

Hello,
Congratulations on your offer to study with us Here at Hallam. Which course is it you are looking to study?
I hope that you had a chance to visit both universities.

The main advice I would give you at the moment is use the university website as much as you can, look at the course page and all the other areas of the website, including accommodation, current student stories or our chat to a student feature, where you may be able to find a current student on the course you want to study.

Use the website to compare the courses st SHU and NTU, how are they taught? what are the assessments like, do they differ? find the one which best suits your learning style, whether this be large or small teaching groups, and preference of exams or assessments.

Sheffield is a lovely city, although it's the 5th largest city in the UK, it feels very close-knit with a lot of character so it's not too overwhelming as a huge city! It's very easy to get around, student bus tickets are £1 and most Hallam accomodation is a 15-20 minute walk from the city centre. There are 60,000 students in the city due to two universities so it is geared towards student life with lots of shops, bars, clubs for every music taste, independent cafes and lots of activities. We are also very close to the Peak District if you want to explore the outdoors.

@hallamstudents may be able to offer more of their opinions of Sheffield and give some more information as to why they chose to study in the city and at Hallam and come to Sheffield Hallam!

All the best
Rachel

I'm from near Nottingham and had a similar situation when I was applying to university, but ended up at Hallam and I'm very happy here. However, I suppose it depends what you want and what your course is. I wouldn't say that the facilities at Hallam are poor by any stretch, but they aren't as good or broad as NTU in the areas I've seen. I think NTU might be a slightly higher ranking uni too. I'd definitely say look at the league tables by faculty and see how they do.

Sheffield is really friendly, a great night out and cheaper than Notts generally. I'm based at Collegiate Campus at Hallam and it really is beautiful, I love it. There's a bit of everything in Sheffield and anything you could want, so it's a comfortable place to be. From my own experience as a local to Nottingham, the people in Sheffield tend to be a lot nicer. However, I'd say that Nottingham is generally a nicer area to live and there's more to do in the daytime. I think it's definitely easier to get around Nottingham on public transport too.

I don't know what it's like at NTU but the support services at Hallam haven't been the best when I've tried to access them but I think that's probably down to demand. I had to go home and contact charities for wellbeing support and uni never even realised I left, but then I had friends on other courses who would miss one seminar and get an email checking they were okay.

I would say that there's a larger proportion of students who commute to uni at Hallam when I talk to my mates at other unis but you make friends in halls, societies or on nights out mostly anyway from my own experience.

In terms of being close to home, I think that the idea of being further away is exciting and enticing to a lot of first years, but I do think it's a good idea to be close enough that you can get home quickly, easily and cheaply if you need anything. At the same time, I lived on my own for a year before moving to uni anyway so I wish I had been brave enough to go further afield as I rarely needed to come home other than to see friends.

Honestly though I've gotta say it's the nights out that do it for me ngl, Sheffield student nights are so good. Sometimes I wish I had gone to NTU but I don't know whether that's because I'm so used to Nottingham and miss home.

hope this helped!
(edited 4 years ago)

Hello,

What course are you planning to do?

I’m a law student and one of the main reasons I came to Sheffield Hallam was because of the practicality of the course, as I got to go on placement every week to a law firm in my third year. I would recommend looking at both courses at each uni and seeing what modules and extra opportunities they offer.

I have also found there’s a lot of support provided at the Uni. Lecturers and tutors are always willing to meet if I ever have any questions or need any support. There is also a wide range of extra support available for example I have found the careers team to be really helpful they have advisors from various departments who you can make appointments with to discuss future graduate jobs, part time jobs and any other careers related enquiries. I have had appointments with the careers team, and they have helped me with applications, checking my CV and gaining a mentor in the legal field.

Sheffield is also a great city to live in as everything is close by and there is a wide range of things to do for students as mentioned by the replies above. I have found not the city and uni to be very friendly, and there is a range of students at the university however it is very easy to meet other students with similar interests as you through halls, societies and events.

I hope this helped, feel free to ask any me any specific questions you have about Sheffield Hallam.

Zaira :smile:
Reply 4
Bit the bullet and firmed hallam this morning, came down to the accomodation; I'd left it too late applying at ntu and would have got halls 40-45 minute walk away or a 15 minute bus ride which isn't ideal, whereas because I was originally only planning on Hallam I had applied for accomodation in January so will hopefully be at the Pinnacles which looks much nicer than ntus the maltings etc. I'm going to be doing building surveying SW, hallam being higher in the league table for this also swayed my opinion as well as the built environment scholarship/bursary which looks helpful. Thank for your advice.
Bit the bullet and firmed hallam this morning, came down to the accomodation; I'd left it too late applying at ntu and would have got halls 40-45 minute walk away or a 15 minute bus ride which isn't ideal, whereas because I was originally only planning on Hallam I had applied for accomodation in January so will hopefully be at the Pinnacles which looks much nicer than ntus the maltings etc. I'm going to be doing building surveying SW, hallam being higher in the league table for this also swayed my opinion as well as the built environment scholarship/bursary which looks helpful. Thank for your advice.

Hey! How old are you? I’m looking at firming Hallam also. Are you a mature student? 👍🏼
I would Choose Shefield Hallam all day, every day. Forget about The Times Higher University Ranking. I don't even know how they evaluate schools. But I believe that Hallam is a better school with a better reputation.
Original post by Southysiderz
I would Choose Shefield Hallam all day, every day. Forget about The Times Higher University Ranking. I don't even know how they evaluate schools. But I believe that Hallam is a better school with a better reputation.

Perhaps things have changed in the last three years...???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending