The Student Room Group

University of Birmingham international student accomodation question

Hi,

I'm a final-year high school student from Poland and I'm thinking about going to Birmingham to study Mechanical Engineering this year. I've got an offer and I have pretty much figured out most of the crucial aspects, but I keep wondering about accomodation.

As I understand, you can rent a dorm or an apartment for the duration of the term. What happens when the term is over? I think I'll be going back to Poland for some of the breaks, so I was thinking - do I need to pack all my stuff and move out, then look for another apartment when I come back? That'd be a bit inconvenient. Or maybe the rent is somehow "paused" between terms?

Could anyone currently studying there help me? What do you do between terms? Do you stay in Birmingham or do you go back to your families? If so, what happens to your place?
Original post by jakub.sekula
Hi,

I'm a final-year high school student from Poland and I'm thinking about going to Birmingham to study Mechanical Engineering this year. I've got an offer and I have pretty much figured out most of the crucial aspects, but I keep wondering about accomodation.

As I understand, you can rent a dorm or an apartment for the duration of the term. What happens when the term is over? I think I'll be going back to Poland for some of the breaks, so I was thinking - do I need to pack all my stuff and move out, then look for another apartment when I come back? That'd be a bit inconvenient. Or maybe the rent is somehow "paused" between terms?

Could anyone currently studying there help me? What do you do between terms? Do you stay in Birmingham or do you go back to your families? If so, what happens to your place?

Original post by jakub.sekula
Hi,

You'll get more answers and more specific answers if you post this in the Univeristy of Birmingham forum. As a general answer it depends on the length of the contract. Less than 38 weeks and you typically have to move all your stuff for at least one holiday and sometimes two. You get the same room back when you come back at the end of the holiday. Your rent will be lower to reflect this. If a contract is 38 weeks or longer then that means you get the room during holidays too, so you don't have to move stuff and can stay if you want to. Rent is higher to reflect this- you can't pay less just because you've chosen to go away for the holiday. Certainly at the uni I went to the vast majority of people went home in the holidays. All undergraduate contracts in halls end in June or July and its usually expected that you will find private accomodation- typically a room in a houseshare, from 2nd year onwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending