The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield City Accommodation

Hi, I was just wondering what people think are the best city accommodations at sheffield? I'm not too into clubbing/partying and Ranmoor/Endcliffe just seems too far out for my lazy ass, but I also heard that one of the blocks I liked the look of (St. Vincent's Place) is mostly used for international students so I'm not sure if I'd fit in and make friends well there. Anyone have experience with any of the city accomodation and is able to tell me what it's like?
Original post by nightfuryHVC
Hi, I was just wondering what people think are the best city accommodations at sheffield? I'm not too into clubbing/partying and Ranmoor/Endcliffe just seems too far out for my lazy ass, but I also heard that one of the blocks I liked the look of (St. Vincent's Place) is mostly used for international students so I'm not sure if I'd fit in and make friends well there. Anyone have experience with any of the city accomodation and is able to tell me what it's like?

Hi I’m pretty sure St Vincents is only open to students attending the International college of sheffield university as thats what I was told on the offer holders event.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
I never saw anything saying that? There were options to apply to accomodation there when everything opened up? ...now I'm a little worried as I already payed a deposit for a room there.
37A15A49-F395-4A56-8550-645D54006F99.jpg
I never saw anything saying that? There were options to apply to accomodation there when everything opened up? ...now I'm a little worried as I already payed a deposit for a room there.
(Original post by pettysag)37A15A49-F395-4A56-8550-645D54006F99.jpg

oh great... i don't know why they let me apply for a place there then... I've emailed them to see what's going on about that, but I also saw on the website FAQ's that all of their accommodation - city included - contains a mixture of international and home students. Hopefully I figure things out...
They have allowed me to apply too, its not just for international students. It's just where most of them go.
Original post by BiscuitsNTea
They have allowed me to apply too, its not just for international students. It's just where most of them go.

yeah I emailed them a few days ago and they said that they've started opening the space up for all students, so it's definitely not a mistake, just ig people didn't know at the open day or something. Crisis averted 😅
Reply 7
why does everyone hate international students?
Original post by gcelia
why does everyone hate international students?

Oh I don't! I'm sorry if it came across that way. I meant more on the lines of I didn't want to be the odd one out and end up possibly struggling to make friends (I already struggle with that enough as it is). I've been here since september now and whilst I somehow didn't end up living with any international students, I've met quite a few on my course and through societies etc and they're all lovely 😊
Reply 9
Oh I don't! I'm sorry if it came across that way. I meant more on the lines of I didn't want to be the odd one out and end up possibly struggling to make friends (I already struggle with that enough as it is). I've been here since september now and whilst I somehow didn't end up living with any international students, I've met quite a few on my course and through societies etc and they're all lovely 😊
oh nono dw, it was a joke😊. But now that you are at university, what do you think its better st vincent or allen court? (for a international students that wants variety)
Original post by gcelia
oh nono dw, it was a joke😊. But now that you are at university, what do you think its better st vincent or allen court? (for a international students that wants variety)

I haven't heard too much about Allen Court tbh but it is very close to the university buildings (especially the diamond!). From my experience at St. Vincent's though, it's cheaper but still has super good facilities and modern rooms/kitchens, and maintenance is always pretty fast too! The staff running the place put on a lot of events too so there's often stuff to do in the common room. As far as I'm aware it's a pretty good mix of international and home students too! In terms of access to the city - it's very close to the city centre so trams/buses are never too far away (just a bit uphill), but Allen Court is pretty close too, so activities-wise there isn't much difference between the two.

Sorry idk how helpful that was but it's all i could think of off the top of my head :smile:
Hi,
I am now in my third year at the University of Sheffield. I have really enjoyed studying here.
Does anyone have any questions about the university or the city?
Lizzie (3rd year - BSc Mathematics and Philosophy - University of Sheffield)
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi,
I am now in my third year at the University of Sheffield. I have really enjoyed studying here.
Does anyone have any questions about the university or the city?
Lizzie (3rd year - BSc Mathematics and Philosophy - University of Sheffield)

Did you or anyone you know stay at St Vincent's? I'm currently debating between that and Endcliffe and not sure which is best as St Vincent's looks nicer, but there are more people in Endcliffe so it may be easier to meet more first years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending