The Student Room Group

Science help chemistry

If an ion is a charged atom. Why is the definition between a ionic bond called the electrostatic force between a positively or negatively charged ion. That would mean it is a positively charged charged atom??????
Original post by Yusuf.3
If an ion is a charged atom. Why is the definition between a ionic bond called the electrostatic force between a positively or negatively charged ion. That would mean it is a positively charged charged atom??????

That's a very good question. I think electrostatic forces of attraction are created after two atoms chemically bond together/transfer electrons. Since atoms have no charge, this is my only assumption. Also, it makes sense since you would need 'charged' particles to carry electrostatic forces.

I am not sure if this is completely correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Yusuf.3

The definition of an ionic bond is the electrostatic attraction between a negatively charged ion and a positively charged ion. The whole molecule is neutral as there is an even number of positive and negatively charged ions and they are held in an ionic lattice.

I don't quite get your question, as an atom can't be charged, as that is an ion. Unless you're referring to a molecule. There are no ionic bonds within an atom.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SZoXyPyQtw

It will help your understanding of ionic bonding, what an ion is, and what the electrostatic attraction is.
The negative and positive ions it's talking about is when one electron leaves one atom and goes to the other, leaving both with full shells. This is ionic bonding, so the ionic bonds are between the his new negatively charged ion and the new positively charged

Quick Reply

Latest