The Student Room Group

Workload of Chemistry/Natural sciences degree

Hi guys,
I just wonder what is the workload of studying chemistry and natural science in university will be :smile:
I am in a pause of my study because I didn’t enjoy studying computer science. One of the reason is I have to constantly grinding and not being able to leave the room ( maybe is because I give myself too much pressure)
I wonder what is a typical day looks like for chemistry/natural science student :smile:
Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by KasablanKa2022
Hi guys,
I just wonder what is the workload of studying chemistry and natural science in university will be :smile:
I am in a pause of my study because I didn’t enjoy studying computer science. One of the reason is I have to constantly grinding and not being able to leave the room ( maybe is because I give myself too much pressure)
I wonder what is a typical day looks like for chemistry/natural science student :smile:
Thank you

It depends where you're studying, and which subjects/modules you're taking.
I spend quite a bit of time not doing uni work, but I always have uni work to do or could be doing.
Original post by bl0bf1sh
It depends where you're studying, and which subjects/modules you're taking.
I spend quite a bit of time not doing uni work, but I always have uni work to do or could be doing.

Hi what subject do you study :smile:
Reply 3
Hi what subject do you study :smile:

Natural sciences, in which I study chemistry (organic and inorganic) and pharmacology and some ecology & evolution :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 4
Hi guys,
Thank you

depends on the kind of person you are but i really would not say chemistry is easier than computer science. chemistry is hard so if you are switching because computer science is too hard im not too sure chemistry will be an easier alternative. that being said you may find that you have more skills to succeed in chemistry and find it easier though.
Hi guys,
Thank you

Hi,

I'm a third year chemistry student at Lancaster University. I would say that hours can vary from week to week but that the workload is high. There are lots of smaller deadlines and then exams at the end of the year so always something to be working on. However, this is better for me as it means that each piece of coursework is weighted less, which helps to take some of the pressure off.
Also, there are quite a few contact hours for practicals, workshops and lectures. I would say that I'm in uni at least 15-20 hours a week and then there's the courseworks and wider readings to do outside of that. Personally, I like being timetabled in uni a lot because it means that there is less self-directed learning time than there is in a law or history degree for example. A typical day can vary from a couple of lectures to a 9 hour lab.

Hope this helps!
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by omgwha
depends on the kind of person you are but i really would not say chemistry is easier than computer science. chemistry is hard so if you are switching because computer science is too hard im not too sure chemistry will be an easier alternative. that being said you may find that you have more skills to succeed in chemistry and find it easier though.

Yes I do think it depends on people. I am not a coding person so I spend extra extra time on it :smile:
Reply 7
Yes I do think it depends on people. I am not a coding person so I spend extra extra time on it :smile:

id say it would probably be easier then, you will be just fine in chemistry and shouldn't find it too hard if you keep up with the workload and go through the basics well
Hi guys,
Thank you

Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a fourth year in natural sciences studying synthetic chemistry and biochemistry pathways. I know that Beth has already given a great overview of the chemistry workload but I just thought I'd add a bit about natural sciences.
With natural sciences at Lancaster you are taught alongside the single honours students and take the exact same modules for the pathways that you take. Therefore the workload of each module is very much the same as if you were taking the module as a single honours student.
The main difference with natural sciences is that you have the flexibility to choose from a much wider range of modules across multiple departments. Therefore the scheduling of coursework can be a bit more unbalanced with the potential to have two coursework assignments from different departments due at the same time. Although this can be difficult to manage at first, the department is very helpful and will always be there if you're feeling stressed or need any help. Also it likely means you'll have a much more chill few weeks than everyone else afterwards!

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any

Oliver (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending