The Student Room Group

Uni applications

Hello should I apply for just computer science or chemistry with computing I rlly enjoy chemistry but am not sure if chemistry with computing will put me at a disadvantage and will be seen as a less important degree
Original post by redjelly21
Hello should I apply for just computer science or chemistry with computing I rlly enjoy chemistry but am not sure if chemistry with computing will put me at a disadvantage and will be seen as a less important degree

Have you any idea what you might want to do with your degree upon graduation?

If you went for the joint honours course, Chemistry with Computing, then I fear you might be less attractive as a Chemist then those with a pure Chemistry degree, and less attractive as a Computer Scientist than those with a pure Computer Science degree.

If, however, you'd be specifically looking to work with the narrow field where Computer Science and Chemistry meet, then the joint honours course might be perfect. :smile:
Original post by redjelly21

Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a fourth year natural sciences student at Lancaster. I remember being similar torn between degree options in 6th form (chemistry and biochemistry for me) and found natural sciences to be a great flexible degree option to carry on both!

Natural sciences allows you to study multiple pathways across two or three different departments. At Lancaster there are so many different pathways to choose from across all branches of chemistry, physics, maths, biology, geography and psychology, just to name a few. Each university will do pathways slightly differently and a have a varied range of possible combinations so definitely check that out on the relevant websites. The full list of pathways and entry requirements for Lancaster can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/

There is also the option to alter you pathway choices as you progress through your degree. For me this was extremely valuable as I was able to drop my physical chemistry pathway after first year to allow for a greater focus on biochemistry.

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊 Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any

Oliver (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending