The Student Room Group

Transfering universities ...will i get in?

Hi. Im currently studying Philosophy and Politics at Cardiff Uni. I'm in first year.
Since week one I've not enjoyed it here at all. Everyone is super nice however I feel too far away from home. Having tried over my first term to throw myself into things- joining societies etc. I spoke to someone from the uni who recommended I should look into transferring as they could see that I was truly trying and truly unhappy .....

I started the UCAS process to transfer to Liverpool Uni on the SAME course but to Year 2 (not starting this all over again!)

The 'entry requirements for Liverpool = ABB
My alevel grades are BBC. I've written the best personal statement I could possibly write and I've spent tons of time on it. Including all personal reasons for needing to transfer as well as why I chose Liverpool.

I'm worried I won't get in and I will wind up staying here for 3 years which I really don't want to do but of course will if I have to (uni is what you make it I know)

My question is
What are the chances of me being accepted by Liverpool with these grades ? Has anyone on here done a transfer before? How did it go? Did it fail? What sorts of things do the uni consider?
Original post by Studentchesca
Hi. Im currently studying Philosophy and Politics at Cardiff Uni. I'm in first year.
Since week one I've not enjoyed it here at all. Everyone is super nice however I feel too far away from home. Having tried over my first term to throw myself into things- joining societies etc. I spoke to someone from the uni who recommended I should look into transferring as they could see that I was truly trying and truly unhappy .....

I started the UCAS process to transfer to Liverpool Uni on the SAME course but to Year 2 (not starting this all over again!)

The 'entry requirements for Liverpool = ABB
My alevel grades are BBC. I've written the best personal statement I could possibly write and I've spent tons of time on it. Including all personal reasons for needing to transfer as well as why I chose Liverpool.

I'm worried I won't get in and I will wind up staying here for 3 years which I really don't want to do but of course will if I have to (uni is what you make it I know)

My question is
What are the chances of me being accepted by Liverpool with these grades ? Has anyone on here done a transfer before? How did it go? Did it fail? What sorts of things do the uni consider?

I think it's very unlikely. I mean they want ABB. You have BBC! I mean how is that going to work?
Original post by Aaron2515
I think it's very unlikely. I mean they want ABB. You have BBC! I mean how is that going to work?

Fair enough haha. More to getting into a university than the grade requirements cmon ! Have spoke to them before applying and I don't think they'd let me apply if the grades were such a deciding factor. Asked other unis and they told me not to bother in a similar manner to you.

Thanks for response
Reply 3

My question is

Hi, see when it comes to transferring before looking at grades you need to check whether they did the same modules as the course in liverpool same coursework exam ratio same everything basically.
considering you pass them all then youve got a very good chance in getting in for 2nd year @ liverpool providing theres space.
Hope that helps oh if the modules are different youll have to start from year 1 most likely
Original post by XueYing
Hi, see when it comes to transferring before looking at grades you need to check whether they did the same modules as the course in liverpool same coursework exam ratio same everything basically.
considering you pass them all then youve got a very good chance in getting in for 2nd year @ liverpool providing theres space.
Hope that helps oh if the modules are different youll have to start from year 1 most likely

How would they know my modules ? does the fact they're the same course code entail compulsory content ?

Thanks for help
Reply 5
How would they know my modules ? does the fact they're the same course code entail compulsory content ?

Thanks for help

No, different unis have different content remember the exams you sit are written by your teacher and externally moderated.It wont hurt to call up the uni and simply ask instead of waiting till sept without applying to uni only to be told youll have to restart the year.
Fair enough haha. More to getting into a university than the grade requirements cmon ! Have spoke to them before applying and I don't think they'd let me apply if the grades were such a deciding factor. Asked other unis and they told me not to bother in a similar manner to you.

Thanks for response

Sorry for being so blunt. I wish it was more than grades I completely agree. But universities are in the end academical institutions, hence why they want the grades.
Original post by XueYing
No, different unis have different content remember the exams you sit are written by your teacher and externally moderated.It wont hurt to call up the uni and simply ask instead of waiting till sept without applying to uni only to be told youll have to restart the year.

Okay. Thought it seemed obvious I've rang the uni! They only consider formal applications. No conversations. No interviews. I've looked at their prospectus online for the course but it's not extensive in detail. There are many overlaps however.

But yes they only look at grades, a personal statement and a reference. The deadline for transfers was 14th of this month also which means I've already applied and sent these off after much hard work on them.

Was looking for some extra advice from students who've done a transfer or know somebody who's done one to give me some advice on the likelihood of me being accepted as transferring into the second year at a different uni is kind of rare however isn't something completely foreign.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending