The Student Room Group

Philosophy application with no related subjects

Hi all. I have been considering Philosophy as a degree choice but I'm worried about my A-Level subjects.

This year I got A*A*A (achieved) but my stupid 16-year old self chose Economics, Business and Media. I plan on doing Phil then a GDL as I want to qualify as a solicitor.

I would like to know how much these subjects will weaken my application given my subjects? I'm aware that there are no subject requirements, and luckily this combo does have a slight use in that they're all essay based, but they are pretty 'soft' and not as respected by admissions teams.

Thanks for the help!
Reply 1
Have you looked at the entry requirements for any Philosophy degrees - are there any specific A level subjects mentioned?
Original post by McGinger
Have you looked at the entry requirements for any Philosophy degrees - are there any specific A level subjects mentioned?

Yes I have looked at all but that isn't the issue really - many applicants for the most competitive universities will have taken English Lit, Politics, History, languages etc...
It won’t make any difference whatsoever.
Reply 4
Which universities? I don’t think there are many ‘competitive’ philosophy degrees so your concern doesn’t really apply.
None of the subjects you listed are any more related to philosophy than the ones you are taking.

The potential issue may lie in the combination of business studies and economics, which historically a few universities have disliked due to overlapping content. At present the only one I'm aware of which specifically states this is LSE though.
Original post by artful_lounger
None of the subjects you listed are any more related to philosophy than the ones you are taking.

The potential issue may lie in the combination of business studies and economics, which historically a few universities have disliked due to overlapping content. At present the only one I'm aware of which specifically states this is LSE though.

Yeah I can't believe my school didn't warn me about this, but oh well.
Reply 7
I think that having essay-based subjects will still work in your favour if you are hoping to choose another essay-based course. Nonetheless if you're having doubts, focus in your personal statement (if you are still yet to submit it) how you're drawn to philosophy outside the scope of what your A levels brought you. I think that the content covered in the alleged 'preferred' arts-based subjects mentioned in above comments only really have the advantage on theoretical writing practices and covering more objective topics and themes than in business and econ.

Given how you say that you have already achieved your A level grades, I'm assuming that you're doing some kind of gap year? Consider how you're spending that and how that can be seen as building onto your interest towards your degree. You've gone from being sixteen and choosing one lot of subjects to have pivoted and wanting to do philosophy - how did this change develop? Have you always wanted to end up doing law, but just wanted to reach it in a different way, or build up your skillset by doing a degree that strays from the skills you get at A level to make you more well-rounded? If you can explain and justify the pivot, then I'm sure that you can equally justify why you should be accepted onto a philosophy course in the same way as everyone else.
Reply 8
Any ideas about which universities you fancy?
Original post by flâneuse
I think that having essay-based subjects will still work in your favour if you are hoping to choose another essay-based course. Nonetheless if you're having doubts, focus in your personal statement (if you are still yet to submit it) how you're drawn to philosophy outside the scope of what your A levels brought you. I think that the content covered in the alleged 'preferred' arts-based subjects mentioned in above comments only really have the advantage on theoretical writing practices and covering more objective topics and themes than in business and econ.

Given how you say that you have already achieved your A level grades, I'm assuming that you're doing some kind of gap year? Consider how you're spending that and how that can be seen as building onto your interest towards your degree. You've gone from being sixteen and choosing one lot of subjects to have pivoted and wanting to do philosophy - how did this change develop? Have you always wanted to end up doing law, but just wanted to reach it in a different way, or build up your skillset by doing a degree that strays from the skills you get at A level to make you more well-rounded? If you can explain and justify the pivot, then I'm sure that you can equally justify why you should be accepted onto a philosophy course in the same way as everyone else.

This was really helpful, thank you so much
Original post by ajj2000
Any ideas about which universities you fancy?

Not sure really. My issue is how universities will see my subjects, because nominally my grades can take me anywhere, but that isn't the case truly. I'm thinking of Bristol, Durham, Warwick as aspirational choices maybe. I will probably apply to a couple first, so the choices after will be informed by possible decisions I've already received.
Reply 11
Original post by gregregregreg
Not sure really. My issue is how universities will see my subjects, because nominally my grades can take me anywhere, but that isn't the case truly. I'm thinking of Bristol, Durham, Warwick as aspirational choices maybe. I will probably apply to a couple first, so the choices after will be informed by possible decisions I've already received.

Thats a good call. Be conscious that Bristol and Durham have been known to be slow to make offers so try to avoid getting overly stressed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending