The Student Room Group

Transferring university

I'm not sure if I want to transfer university or not. My boyfriend is moving to a new university at the end of this year and I am meant to be staying here, this was always my plan until I transferred to a new course within my university. However, I have found that the teaching for this course isn't very good and isn't set up well and so my boyfriend suggested me transferring university. He went ahead and did research into universities I might like however they are all in the same area as where he is planning to go to university. This was never something I considered before he mentioned it however it does seem like a good decision. I am also currently applying for a summer school in my boyfriend's home country through my university but if I transfer I will lose my chance to do so. I can apply for these summer schools through the universities which host them however the cost will be significantly greater. I also have a really good job here where I currently attend university which enables me not to pay any rent so I have been able to save up a bit of money. I don't know if I want to transfer or not, I don't want to be transferring just for my boyfriend but I also don't want the main reason for me staying in my university to be so that I can go to the summer school. My boyfriend has told me that I don't have to come to his home country in the summer if it is too difficult however I do want to as I want to see what his country is like and I would like to meet his parents in person as we have been together for over a year now.
Reply 1
How do you know that these other universities are going to be any better? Is there any risk at all that you are just being a bit flighty? Do you have unrealistic expectations or is the teaching etc really as bad as all that? I don't ask this to accuse or belittle you, but these are things you really need to think about, and they are what I have my students think about for a couple of weeks before they withdraw or think about transfers.

It's not always as easy as just transferring institution, either - you have to do a lot of running about to make sure that it's possible, and sometimes the target institution itself won't know if it is possible until the new academic year intake. There's a BIG thread somewhere on here about transfers, that will be worth a look.

There is a lot of stuff to weigh up here and ultimately none of us can do it for you.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm not sure if I want to transfer university or not. My boyfriend is moving to a new university at the end of this year and I am meant to be staying here, this was always my plan until I transferred to a new course within my university. However, I have found that the teaching for this course isn't very good and isn't set up well and so my boyfriend suggested me transferring university. He went ahead and did research into universities I might like however they are all in the same area as where he is planning to go to university. This was never something I considered before he mentioned it however it does seem like a good decision. I am also currently applying for a summer school in my boyfriend's home country through my university but if I transfer I will lose my chance to do so. I can apply for these summer schools through the universities which host them however the cost will be significantly greater. I also have a really good job here where I currently attend university which enables me not to pay any rent so I have been able to save up a bit of money. I don't know if I want to transfer or not, I don't want to be transferring just for my boyfriend but I also don't want the main reason for me staying in my university to be so that I can go to the summer school. My boyfriend has told me that I don't have to come to his home country in the summer if it is too difficult however I do want to as I want to see what his country is like and I would like to meet his parents in person as we have been together for over a year now.

Hi!
My first suggestion would be to do your own research into universities that fit your needs and have a teaching quality that matches what you are looking for. I know it is tempting to transfer, especially if you will be closer to your boyfriend, however consider the pros of the university you are currently at compared to ones you have found when researching. Ultimately, consider what you want from a university and the direction you want to go with your life, and decide accordingly. At the end of the day it has to be your decision for what you would benefit from.
Hope this helps! Faye :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by FayeYSJ
Hi!
My first suggestion would be to do your own research into universities that fit your needs and have a teaching quality that matches what you are looking for. I know it is tempting to transfer, especially if you will be closer to your boyfriend, however consider the pros of the university you are currently at compared to ones you have found when researching. Ultimately, consider what you want from a university and the direction you want to go with your life, and decide accordingly. At the end of the day it has to be your decision for what you would benefit from.
Hope this helps! Faye :smile:

Hi Faye,

Thank you for the reply! I had been losing hope a little bit because I didn't know what I wanted and I felt like I had been getting in my head too much. Honestly yes I do love my current uni and the friends I have made here however, this place doesn't feel like the right place for me anymore. Honestly I am not that happy here. I have done further research and I found that the one university that was suggested to me by my boyfriend is amazing, they have spend £8.6 million for the facilities needed for my course alone. Honestly it feels too good to be true. I have decided to just send off the application once I get a reference from my personal tutor. If I don't get in then it will just not be meant to be and that's fine and I will be on the right path but it can't hurt to try. Thank you again for your reply it was actually really helpful.
Sounds like you’re being manipulated to me
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #2
Sounds like you’re being manipulated to me

Well maybe I am, maybe I'm not neither of us are my boyfriend so we will never know :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi Faye,

Thank you for the reply! I had been losing hope a little bit because I didn't know what I wanted and I felt like I had been getting in my head too much. Honestly yes I do love my current uni and the friends I have made here however, this place doesn't feel like the right place for me anymore. Honestly I am not that happy here. I have done further research and I found that the one university that was suggested to me by my boyfriend is amazing, they have spend £8.6 million for the facilities needed for my course alone. Honestly it feels too good to be true. I have decided to just send off the application once I get a reference from my personal tutor. If I don't get in then it will just not be meant to be and that's fine and I will be on the right path but it can't hurt to try. Thank you again for your reply it was actually really helpful.

So happy to have helped!
No one knows what's best for you other than yourself so well done for sending off the application! Im sure you will end up in the right place. If you haven't already I would recommend visiting the university in person so you can really get a feel for it. I hope everything works out well for you! Faye :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending