Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reasons to read more? How often do you read? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I read quite often, although not necessarily in large quantities such as books, and more so online. I have many books I'd like to read but never get around to it.

ReputationRep:
    I read at least a couple of books a month. I enjoy reading and that's why I do it. I think it also improved your vocabulary/writing skills if that's something which matters to you.

ReputationRep:
    Usually it varies but I read at least one a book a month (I'm in a book club) and try to read about a book a week. I read non-fiction much slower than fiction though
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I try to read fairly often, I'm going for 52 books in a year at the moment and I'm on my 4th book right now. Of course reading is not just about books.

Fiction is far easier and faster to read than non-fiction but I do enjoy reading non-fiction books. That said it depends if it's written as a book to be read or as a book to be used as a resource. For example you wouldn't read a textbook in the same way you'd read a self-development book and you won't read either the same as you'd read Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.

One interesting piece of advice I've heard is to only ever read fiction. If you are reading non-fiction odds are there's video material on something like YouTube you can consume in higher quantities. I don't entirely agree with this but it does hold merit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    I read at least a couple of books a month. I enjoy reading and that's why I do it. I think it also improved your vocabulary/writing skills if that's something which matters to you.
    When is it that you find time to read may I ask? Im unsure how often I should put the time in daily.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Little bit every night
    Then there's the textbooks and stuff before/during lessons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by William2813)
    When is it that you find time to read may I ask? Im unsure how often I should put the time in daily.
    I read whenever I fancy it, sometimes I go a few days without reading, sometimes I sit and read for half the day. I read more in summer as I'll go sit outside with a book. Honestly when I read varies, before bed is always a good time as it helps you relax but I quite often grab my kindle for half an hour after I finish work and I usually take it with me and read during breaks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrishudson)
    Usually it varies but I read at least one a book a month (I'm in a book club) and try to read about a book a week. I read non-fiction much slower than fiction though
    A lot of my books are non-fiction and I read them slow in comparison too. Although Im planning to read fiction more often over the coming months. Are you specific to when you choose to read? Time of day etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I try to read fairly often, I'm going for 52 books in a year at the moment and I'm on my 4th book right now. Of course reading is not just about books.

Fiction is far easier and faster to read than non-fiction but I do enjoy reading non-fiction books. That said it depends if it's written as a book to be read or as a book to be used as a resource. For example you wouldn't read a textbook in the same way you'd read a self-development book and you won't read either the same as you'd read Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.

One interesting piece of advice I've heard is to only ever read fiction. If you are reading non-fiction odds are there's video material on something like YouTube you can consume in higher quantities. I don't entirely agree with this but it does hold merit.
    That's a great effort! I hope you can achieve that.

I plan to read a lot more fiction, I can understand the point made about non-fiction, videos are always great and I do find it is easier. But reading opens up a different perspective on non-fiction topics so I feel it is still worth it.

Do you read non-fiction or mostly fiction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Little bit every night
    Then there's the textbooks and stuff before/during lessons
    Sounds like me currently
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sounds like me currently
    Yep! Nothing wrong with that!
    I will increase the amount I read as this year elapses!
    It's important to read for your vocabulary, learning (non-fiction) and also if you're learning a foreign language - reading in it is very beneficial! (I was reading a French novel but now just a page a day )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    I read whenever I fancy it, sometimes I go a few days without reading, sometimes I sit and read for half the day. I read more in summer as I'll go sit outside with a book. Honestly when I read varies, before bed is always a good time as it helps you relax but I quite often grab my kindle for half an hour after I finish work and I usually take it with me and read during breaks.
    Whenever you have free time would you say? I do the same during summer, it's more appealing reading in a particular environment you enjoy.

I should really get a kindle

ReputationRep:
    Yep! Nothing wrong with that!
    I will increase the amount I read as this year elapses!
    It's important to read for your vocabulary, learning (non-fiction) and also if you're learning a foreign language - reading in it is very beneficial! (I was reading a French novel but now just a page a day )
    I guess so!
    Well that is my plan too, when I have free time I want to read and get into the habit.

That is good advice, I am planning to learn a language too (French or Russian - I already know some basics of Russian and some of the alphabet). Maybe foreign books will be a thing I attempt when I go to university in September as I might take a language module with my course
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I guess so!
    Well that is my plan too, when I have free time I want to read and get into the habit.

That is good advice, I am planning to learn a language too (French or Russian - I already know some basics of Russian and some of the alphabet). Maybe foreign books will be a think I attempt when I go to university in September as I might take a language module with my course
    :yy: Definitely! What sort of books do you like to read?
    Go for it! Start with something simple like: Teen Readers :yep:
    I was very tempted to as well!
    If you come across a word you don't know whilst reading, write it down and then maybe put it on www.quizlet.com or www.memrise.com and learn it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's a great effort! I hope you can achieve that.

I plan to read a lot more fiction, I can understand the point made about non-fiction, videos are always great and I do find it is easier. But reading opens up a different perspective on non-fiction topics so I feel it is still worth it.

Do you read non-fiction or mostly fiction?
    TBH I'm not holding out too much hope. If I was purely reading fiction I'd get through that easily, a book a week is not too difficult. However for non-fiction I tend to read material, then reflect and act on it. The pace is far slower since I'm reading to better myself, rather than reading for enjoyment.

I think it's important to have a mix. Videos are a good way to consume content fast but don't always offer the same level of detail or complexity as a book. Videos on the other hand tend to be more interactive since they require your eyes and your ears. Balancing the 2 is important.

Probably an equal mix of both, although if I get into a certain mindset I'll binge either fiction or non-fiction. I don't tend to alternate. I remember a few years ago I binged through a light novel series. This was around 30 books in total, of around 200 pages per book. Took a couple of months but I didn't touch anything else in that time. I think I stopped reading outright for a few weeks though. Recently I got through maybe 5 or 6 non-fiction books before touching fiction again.

ReputationRep:
    :yy: Definitely! What sort of books do you like to read?
    Go for it! Start with something simple like: Teen Readers :yep:
    I was very tempted to as well!
    If you come across a word you don't know whilst reading, write it down and then maybe put it on www.quizlet.com or www.memrise.com and learn it
    Hmm well it depends, I have non fiction stuff about the deep ocean and science stuff which I like, but in terms of fiction I am more open to lots of things, I have books such as the hobbit, which I haven't read much of, Harry Potter too, but right now I am happy to read anything interesting. I have a book called titan by Stephen Baxter, I'm gonna start reading that

What about you? I used to use memrise so I am quite used to that :3
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hmm well it depends, I have non fiction stuff about the deep ocean and science stuff which I like, but in terms of fiction I am more open to lots of things, I have books such as the hobbit, which I haven't read much of, Harry Potter too, but right now I am happy to read anything interesting. I have a book called titan by Stephen Baxter, I'm gonna start reading that

What about you? I used to use memrise so I am quite used to that :3
    Ah ok
    I read all sorts! From classics, to non-fiction on Chemistry/Physics/random topics of interest such as French Literature or the Highway Code :rofl: to thrillers/crimes/fantasy . I am a particular fan of books you can't put down etc.
    At the moment I am reading The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle and a bit of L'etranger - Camus.

Nice :yy:
    I like Quizlet for making my own but memrise for using that of others :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    TBH I'm not holding out too much hope. If I was purely reading fiction I'd get through that easily, a book a week is not too difficult. However for non-fiction I tend to read material, then reflect and act on it. The pace is far slower since I'm reading to better myself, rather than reading for enjoyment.

I think it's important to have a mix. Videos are a good way to consume content fast but don't always offer the same level of detail or complexity as a book. Videos on the other hand tend to be more interactive since they require your eyes and your ears. Balancing the 2 is important.

Probably an equal mix of both, although if I get into a certain mindset I'll binge either fiction or non-fiction. I don't tend to alternate. I remember a few years ago I binged through a light novel series. This was around 30 books in total, of around 200 pages per book. Took a couple of months but I didn't touch anything else in that time. I think I stopped reading outright for a few weeks though. Recently I got through maybe 5 or 6 non-fiction books before touching fiction again.
    I wouldn't feel pressured, just enjoy it but don't rush it that's an great reason to read, I do the same for non fiction, to better myself, what sort of stuff do you like?

Is it matter of your interest at the time or the fact you don't like to alternate between the two? Have you noticed benefits from your frequent reading of both non fiction and fiction?

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok
    I read all sorts! From classics, to non-fiction on Chemistry/Physics/random topics of interest such as French Literature or the Highway Code :rofl: to thrillers/crimes/fantasy . I am a particular fan of books you can't put down etc.
    At the moment I am reading The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle and a bit of L'etranger - Camus.

Nice :yy:
    I like Quizlet for making my own but memrise for using that of others :giggle:
    I like to read up on different stuff too, in terms of classics I read some of the origin of Species 2nd edition and I plan to pick that back up, what classics do you like?

I love science so anything regarding planets and the earth/space travel I will read up on, I usually do this online as well as books. I do lots of reading on these subjects and always have, things like mountains and anthropology is all part of my interests

That sounds great but I can't say I know much about the book :P

I will check Quizlet out!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I like to read up on different stuff too, in terms of classics I read some of the origin of Species 2nd edition and I plan to pick that back up, what classics do you like?

I love science so anything regarding planets and the earth/space travel I will read up on, I usually do this online as well as books. I do lots of reading on these subjects and always have, things like mountains and anthropology is all part of my interests

That sounds great but I can't say I know much about the book :P

I will check Quizlet out!
    Erm I meant fictional classics, like Dickens or Caroll or something. I like the Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett the most

:yy: Same :five: I like reading about the cross between Physics/Chemistry and weird Chemistry :mmm: and Chemistry and erm Space is cool
    :moon:

Go for it! I can PM u my Quizlet username if you're interested in my French Quizlets

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.