The Student Room Group

Predicted grades vs personal statement

Is it true that universities (Russel ones specifically) pick people with higher grades, maybe even over personal statements? I heard that they only read it for a minute or two anyways. So does that mean if I have a decent ps, my grades being exactly the requirements look bad to them? (I’m also eligible for the contextual offer).
Original post by Skittles_beans
Is it true that universities (Russel ones specifically) pick people with higher grades, maybe even over personal statements? I heard that they only read it for a minute or two anyways. So does that mean if I have a decent ps, my grades being exactly the requirements look bad to them? (I’m also eligible for the contextual offer).

There are 24 universities in the Russell Group. They don't all do things identically.

Universities are interested in your academic potential. The best ways they have of judging that are your previous exam results (e.g. GCSEs) and your predicted future exam results (e.g. A levels). In some cases, universities will augment this with additional tests or interviews.

I've heard several universities say (at open days or on their web sites) that they'll only refer to personal statements when choosing between candidates who have similar academic profiles. This could happen at the offer stage, or at the confirmation stage (where there are a few places left, but they have several "near miss" candidates). This is often for practical reasons: a university could easily receive tens of thousands of personal statements each year. Those would take a very long time to read and "score", such they they could be compared.

That makes it clear that your grades are (generally speaking) more important that your personal statement.

If your grades meet the typical requirement, then you have a reasonable chance of an offer - but it depends on how competitive that particular course at that particular uni is. If your grades exceed the typical requirement, then the likelihood of an offer will increase - statistically speaking.

Many candidates receive offers from Russell Group universities having "only" met (rather than exceeded) the typical requirements.

(By the way, the Russell Group is a marketing group, used to promote its members in the eyes of the general public. There are many great unis who have opted not to join. No be blinded by their marketing.)
Reply 2
As above, a few Universities no longer read Personal Statements - but not all, and not for all subjects.
So you cannot assume that you can turn in any old scribbled PS and with good grade predictions, and you will get an offer.

Writing your PS is a good exercise in the thought process of 'Why do I want to go to University' and 'Why this subject' and you should not regard it as a minor task or a waste of time in the selection process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending