The Student Room Group

Pre-read accounting and finance

I'm starting my undergraduate in Accounting and Finance this month and I wanted to ask how can I pre-read the material? as I struggle to stay on track and if I don't pre-read I will definitely fall behind. Thank you!
Original post by MIDRIS3000
I'm starting my undergraduate in Accounting and Finance this month and I wanted to ask how can I pre-read the material? as I struggle to stay on track and if I don't pre-read I will definitely fall behind. Thank you!

Tip: pick up speed reading. It's a key skill that would likely save you hours/days/weeks of your life.

In terms of pre-reading, there's usually no universal set text that you can refer to (there are popular textbooks used by virtually all business students across the country, and I can probably guess you would be using those texts yourself though). The only way to read ahead of time is to pick the books from the required reading list from your unit outlines and then read the chapters from start to finish.

The problem with this approach is that:

Not everything in the chapter is relevant

Not all chapters are required to be read

Further reading material is often more important than the required reading for essays and assignments

The core material in lecture notes tend to be key for exams

Not all textbooks are worth buying (even second hand - some are that bad), and you're often better off just reading the book from the uni library

A lot of the material in your notes are self explanatory, so you don't really need lots of notes; I would glance over the material generally but pay more attention to the material that you're not particularly clear on i.e. you're doing a lot of reading for no readon

Unless you have the specific lecture notes, you won't usually know what specific topics you would need to read.
Also, selective reading and picking out the relevant material is a key skill at uni.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Tip: pick up speed reading. It's a key skill that would likely save you hours/days/weeks of your life.

In terms of pre-reading, there's usually no universal set text that you can refer to (there are popular textbooks used by virtually all business students across the country, and I can probably guess you would be using those texts yourself though). The only way to read ahead of time is to pick the books from the required reading list from your unit outlines and then read the chapters from start to finish.

The problem with this approach is that:

Not everything in the chapter is relevant

Not all chapters are required to be read

Further reading material is often more important than the required reading for essays and assignments

The core material in lecture notes tend to be key for exams

Not all textbooks are worth buying (even second hand - some are that bad), and you're often better off just reading the book from the uni library

A lot of the material in your notes are self explanatory, so you don't really need lots of notes; I would glance over the material generally but pay more attention to the material that you're not particularly clear on i.e. you're doing a lot of reading for no readon

Unless you have the specific lecture notes, you won't usually know what specific topics you would need to read.
Also, selective reading and picking out the relevant material is a key skill at uni.

Thank you for the tip! I will look into speed reading.

As for the rest, I will take into account your advice. I’m going to start tonight.

Much appreciated!
Reply 3
Not sure I would kick off by pre-reading in a subject and studying style you are not used to. If you didn't do business studies and or economics A level I think you might try to get hold of a text book for each and skim read them to get an idea of what the business situations you will be studying mean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending