The Student Room Group

Article: "Apprenticeships transform lives." Robert Halfon, MP, answers student questions on apprenticeships

So what's the deal with apprenticeships?

At the start of 2017, The Student Room was invited to Westminster to talk to a man who should know: Robert Halfon, MP, minister of state for apprenticeships and skills. His brief covers everything from apprenticeships to careers advice to sixth-form colleges.

We took an armful of your questions from the forums, along with sixth form student Tom Anson to ask them. Here's what the minister had to say.

[video="youtube;6Na_6rmeN70"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Na_6rmeN70[/video]

Read the full article here
(edited 7 years ago)
@latespiderorchid @PQ @JollyKingfisher @Snufkin @Eboracum @james813 - thanks for posting questions for this interview, folks!
Ugh, what a slippery fellow - he didn't answer my question! The minister said his government had introduced Advanced Learner Loans to help adults returning to education pay for courses, but that's of no use at all if FE colleges don't offer the courses adults want to do. Where is Andrew Neil when you need him?
Apprenticeship targets 'poor value for money', says IFS

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38798305
The think tank warns that it could devalue the "brand" of apprenticeships by turning it into "just another term for training"...... But the report warns the government has "failed to make a convincing case for such a large and rapid expansion in apprenticeships" and warns of "wildly optimistic" claims for how much extra earnings could be generated by the investment in apprentices.

Quality varis massively and some of them are just cheap labour.
It's cheap labour thats all it is and nothing else, I always have a laugh at the stupidity on the adverts which shows a young man with a expensive car acting like its a life of luxury and its anything but making tea for higher ups.
Reply 5
Original post by drbluebox
It's cheap labour thats all it is and nothing else, I always have a laugh at the stupidity on the adverts which shows a young man with a expensive car acting like its a life of luxury and its anything but making tea for higher ups.

I'd be interested in knowing if you have ever explored, or experienced, any of the apprenticeships advertised? Cheap labour isn't something I've ever seen - having worked with apprentices for a few years I experienced the opposite.
I would be interested in understanding if your view is based on experience, or perceptions of others and adverts.
Interesting interview well done to everyone involved
Original post by TSR_Rob
I'd be interested in knowing if you have ever explored, or experienced, any of the apprenticeships advertised? Cheap labour isn't something I've ever seen - having worked with apprentices for a few years I experienced the opposite.
I would be interested in understanding if your view is based on experience, or perceptions of others and adverts.

Experience including getting a interview for a nmw job, being turned down at interview but offered word for word same job but as a apprentice.

Original post by TSR_Rob

I don't think every apprenticeship should be tarnished with the brush that they are 'cheap labour' as some are definitely well worth the application and a viable, if not better route than traditional A-levels or Uni. Of course, there may be some smaller apprenticeships out there that do impact the reputation these schemes get, but it is no longer a case in the majority.
Reply 9
Experience including getting a interview for a nmw job, being turned down at interview but offered word for word same job but as a apprentice.

You should consider checking with The National Apprenticeship Service on this. Depending on the entry skills required for the job I would say an apprenticeship should be a completely different job specification.
There should be an accredited qualification & time in college/with a training provider or University. They aren't a low pay alternative to a normal job.

Please do consider reporting this to The National Apprenticeship Service if you feel this was offered as a "cheap labour route" - I know NAS are working hard to make sure apprenticeships aren't confused with anything else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending