The Student Room Group

AEA Preparation Thread 30 June 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by A Slice of Pi
I noticed this too, so yes it may appear in this year's paper. If it is one of the longer questions, it will probably also be in context (e.g. chemical leaking out of a conical container into another container), so it may be wise to practice similar questions from C4 past papers.

They wouldn't give a differential equation in context because that's not really what the AEA testing, plus there's not calculator
Original post by Desmos
They wouldn't give a differential equation in context because that's not really what the AEA testing, plus there's not calculator

Why not? Questions of a similar nature are a common feature of C4 papers. I could easily see that on an AEA paper, as all it is testing is separation of variables and integration techniques. It would not necessarily require a calculator.
Reply 22
Why not? Questions of a similar nature are a common feature of C4 papers. I could easily see that on an AEA paper, as all it is testing is separation of variables and integration techniques. It would not necessarily require a calculator.

I don't know, but after having looked at a lot of AEa questions, making you write a differential equation in context seems like something they wouldn't do
Original post by Desmos
I don't know, but after having looked at a lot of AEa questions, making you write a differential equation in context seems like something they wouldn't do

I was thinking more along the lines of a problem similar to that attached (the bits not involving a calculator, that is)
Good luck for tomorrow everyone. I'll be posting my solutions to the paper when I get hold of a copy, which will either be 1st or 2nd July
Reply 25
Yes

Can you give some hints so I can get started on that question? Right now all I've got is 1+tan45 = 2, which is given in the question anyways!
Original post by Desmos
Can you give some hints so I can get started on that question? Right now all I've got is 1+tan45 = 2, which is given in the question anyways!

If it's the first part, find the volume of the cylinder using similar triangles and ratios of lengths. Then differentiate and set equal to 0 for the maximum.
Reply 27
If it's the first part, find the volume of the cylinder using similar triangles and ratios of lengths. Then differentiate and set equal to 0 for the maximum.

I was talking about Find n st that:

(1+tan1)(1+tan2)(1+tan3)...(1+tan45)=2^n
Original post by Desmos
I was talking about Find n st that:

(1+tan1)(1+tan2)(1+tan3)...(1+tan45)=2^n

If x+y =45 then what is (1+tan x)(1+tan y)? Can you take it from there?
Reply 29
If x+y =45 then what is (1+tan x)(1+tan y)? Can you take it from there?

Got it! n = 23, right?
Last exam :bubbles:
Reply 31
Any tips in general?
Original post by AAls
Any tips in general?

Don't be put off by the time.

As a general rule of thumb first 3 questions should take around an hour with Q4,5 in the next hour and Q6,7 in the final hour with checking. Although with the difficulty of the paper there may be questions where you might look at it and pass for a while whilst doing a question later which you are more comfortable with so don't panic!

Also, just enjoy it too, I havn't done STEP this year so this is my chance to have a taste of what uni maths will be like!
Any tips for those horrible series/summation questions?!?
What did everyone think?

I liked it. The only question I really didn't like was the last part of Q4 - the one with the triangle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
What did everyone think?

I liked it. The only question I really didn't like was the last part of Q4 - the one with the triangle

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it was quite a nice paper. That last question was probably my favourite of the lot, as long as you took your time with it it was a very nice question for 21 marks
In(4/3) - 4/15. Anyone for last part of question 6?
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
What did everyone think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

apart from that question it was good but i dont think i got all the solutions for the trig question
Original post by nathanmcg
In(4/3) - 4/15. Anyone for last part of question 6?

yeah and 7root101 for areaof triangle?
Original post by clear_water
yeah and 7root101 for areaof triangle?

Yesssss and p and q were 4 and 1 (or other way round) and y=6x-16 ???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending