The Student Room Group

Shall I do Further Maths A-Level?

Hi. I am in Year 13. And I am currently studying Maths, Biology, and Chemistry, hopefully wanting to get three A*s. I was doing Further Maths A-Level last year, so I have covered all the A-Level Maths content. But I dropped it solely because I thought I was going to do dentistry. But now, I want to do a maths degree. I have spoke about the possibility of taking up Further Maths A-Level again. They said it was possible, but I have missed 24 lessons so it might be hard to catch up. I want to do it, but I don't want it affecting my other A-Levels. So, I'm not sure. What do you think?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by Zara10
Hi. I am in Year 13. And I am currently studying Maths, Biology, and Chemistry, hopefully wanting to get three A*s. I was doing Further Maths A-Level last year, so I have covered all the A-Level Maths content. But I dropped it solely because I thought I was going to do dentistry. But now, I want to do a maths degree. I have spoke about the possibility of taking up Further Maths A-Level again. They said it was possible, but I have missed 24 lessons so it might be hard to catch up. I want to do it, but I don't want it affecting my other A-Levels. So, I'm not sure. What do you think?

If you want to do a maths degree, then a-level further maths would deffo be useful. Double check maths courses on unis websites to be sure.
If you want to do it and enjoy maths, and you think you can catch up, then go for it.
Original post by Zara10

As above, check individual university websites to see which unis expect FM as an A level or not. Most of the unis with the strongest reputations for maths state that you require FM (though there are exceptions - but FM would likely put you at an advantage compared to applicants without it).

I would have a look and see whether there are any options that allow you to not have to pick up the full A level further maths. For example, Bath university does have an alternative offer for those taking AS further maths (which may be more manageable for you) rather than the full A level, but they must do well on an additional maths test (I would recommend taking the AEA as it doesn’t need any extra lessons outside of ordinary A level maths and is in late June, so gives you plenty of time to prepare). https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2024/mathematical-sciences/bsc-mathematics/#entry-requirements

Quick Reply

Latest