The Student Room Group

Official cie igcse 2017 may/june thread + predictions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by HaroonSharif
They are all the same. There are a few factors. Also how significant was (insert a factor) in casusing problems came up a couple times. If you guys want I can attach my notes which is a mark scheme for every question ever, nicely layed out. It also says how often the question came up?

yes that would be great and nice of you, thanks a lot !
Original post by mxlr
yes that would be great and nice of you, thanks a lot !

Here it is, Just ignore the 4 and 6 marker section. Focus on 10 and 40 marker section. Hope it's useful.
Reply 142
Here it is, Just ignore the 4 and 6 marker section. Focus on 10 and 40 marker section. Hope it's useful.

Thanks once again, they really are useful !!
Good luck tomorrow!
Original post by mxlr
Thanks once again, they really are useful !!
Good luck tomorrow!

Thanks. Happily delete / burn the notes after the exam. Last history exam of my life

Thanks so much for putting those notes on here! Never seen quite a few of those extra facts about the Stresemann era so they should prove very useful in the exam tomorrow should later Weimar come up.

Best of luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
What does everyone think about paper 4 history?
It wasn't too bad. I had German Depth Study. It was AIDS that 2 DS3 questions came up. Question 3 was not to bad. I am kinda worried if you were meant to us either multiple factors and compare or just one factor sinse it was a How Important question not a How Significant. I had Minorities, Youth, Women, Working Class and Big Business as factors.
It wasn't too bad. I had German Depth Study. It was AIDS that 2 DS3 questions came up. Question 3 was not to bad. I am kinda worried if you were meant to us either multiple factors and compare or just one factor sinse it was a How Important question not a How Significant. I had Minorities, Youth, Women, Working Class and Big Business as factors.

Yeah I did Question 4 about WW2. I think how important/significant are the same technique. What do you think the grade boundaries will be?
Original post by JMR2017
Yeah I did Question 4 about WW2. I think how important/significant are the same technique. What do you think the grade boundaries will be?

High based on the 4,6,10 and Sources, both of which were easy. 68-70% I reckon for an A star. Possible even 65%. A boundary will be usual and lower I reckon.
for question 3 I wrote about propaganda, education and the gestapo/ss on the other side? is that ok? I wrote about how the persecution isn't very important as they're devoting time resources and manpower into those
Original post by retslick
for question 3 I wrote about propaganda, education and the gestapo/ss on the other side? is that ok? I wrote about how the persecution isn't very important as they're devoting time resources and manpower into those

Yeah. It's brilliant. Most of the best students in my year wrote leith those factors but also Nazi policies. You will be fine. The factors for that question were fairly openended
Yeah. It's brilliant. Most of the best students in my year wrote leith those factors but also Nazi policies. You will be fine. The factors for that question were fairly openended

do u reckon it was ok to talk about persecution, farmers, men and workers and youth
Original post by memelord888
do u reckon it was ok to talk about persecution, farmers, men and workers and youth

Yeah. Just what did you write about farmers? Providing self-suffiency? War time prep?
It seems that the vast majority at my school did Question 3; I did Question 4, though. A couple only revised Weimar Germany so were obviously not in a very good position to do the paper!

I thought Question 4 was relatively open ended and didn't really suggest a structure (i.e. it was ambiguous as to if it was referring to the war causing the Nazi regime to be stable or unstable). If it helps anyone, I talked about the following (hopefully should be okay):

1st part) How WW2 made Nazi regime stable: despite rationing they were able to obtain luxury goods from captured countries -> high morale, Hitler had majority of German's support in 1940; gave people of Germany a patriotic cause to unite behind so supported Nazis; rearmament in preparation for WW2 was very good for economy -> stability

2nd part) How WW2 made Nazi regime unstable: 1944 total war, mass starvation, 3mn civilian deaths etc.; loss of support for Nazi regime by end of war as Germany began to lose -> in fact can be argued that war was signifcant in causing the Nazi regime to end in 1945, so was far from making it stable

3rd part) Managed to have time to compare it to other factors in making the regime stable: 1) propaganda e.g. Goebells, KdF, SdA etc. -> stability as people were brought around to supporting the Nazis, 2) control e.g. SS, Gestapo, conc. camps, Blockweiters etc., people were forced to support the Nazis so it was stable

Conclusion: WW2 was not at all significant in ensuring Nazi regime's stability; in fact vastly weakened it and led to its demise.

I agree that the Grade Boundaries may be slightly higher than usual this year (after relatively easy Paper 1 and Paper 2), but I wouldn't have thought by too much as remember that everyone doing all the different topics gets the same grade boundaries.
Original post by retslick

I DID THE SAME!
I was confused as to where to put the Nazis policy of intimidation ( Gestapo/ss) but I put it for the against part like you did :smile:
Original post by eloucaaa
I DID THE SAME!
I was confused as to where to put the Nazis policy of intimidation ( Gestapo/ss) but I put it for the against part like you did :smile:

haha yeah I think it was a good argument since importance generally comes down to investment of resources and time. So if the Nazis were focusing on these it's a perfect argument as to why the persecution wasn't v important
Original post by MontyZuma
It seems that the vast majority at my school did Question 3; I did Question 4, though. A couple only revised Weimar Germany so were obviously not in a very good position to do the paper!

I thought Question 4 was relatively open ended and didn't really suggest a structure (i.e. it was ambiguous as to if it was referring to the war causing the Nazi regime to be stable or unstable). If it helps anyone, I talked about the following (hopefully should be okay):

1st part) How WW2 made Nazi regime stable: despite rationing they were able to obtain luxury goods from captured countries -> high morale, Hitler had majority of German's support in 1940; gave people of Germany a patriotic cause to unite behind so supported Nazis; rearmament in preparation for WW2 was very good for economy -> stability

2nd part) How WW2 made Nazi regime unstable: 1944 total war, mass starvation, 3mn civilian deaths etc.; loss of support for Nazi regime by end of war as Germany began to lose -> in fact can be argued that war was signifcant in causing the Nazi regime to end in 1945, so was far from making it stable

3rd part) Managed to have time to compare it to other factors in making the regime stable: 1) propaganda e.g. Goebells, KdF, SdA etc. -> stability as people were brought around to supporting the Nazis, 2) control e.g. SS, Gestapo, conc. camps, Blockweiters etc., people were forced to support the Nazis so it was stable

Conclusion: WW2 was not at all significant in ensuring Nazi regime's stability; in fact vastly weakened it and led to its demise.

I agree that the Grade Boundaries may be slightly higher than usual this year (after relatively easy Paper 1 and Paper 2), but I wouldn't have thought by too much as remember that everyone doing all the different topics gets the same grade boundaries.

For your part 2, you could also talk about Women joining the work force, final solution, increased use of violence as a facade to the instability
Original post by MontyZuma

How many marks do you think I would get for this???

1) How WW2 made caused Nazis to change policies, e.g. Women policy, also bad tactics from Hitler meant he lost support of army, July bomb plot etc. Then talked about how some schemes had to be rolled back, e.g Strength Through Joy and how everyone who paid for a car did not get it.

2) Other factors causing instability, First was Youth Opposition Groups, e.g Edelweiss Pirates and other groups, went against the Nazi ideal culture and undermined stability BUT had a small following, so less important. Also easily captured, leaders of Edelweiss Pirates killed in 1944 etc.

3) Other Factors, The Church, Many did not like Hitler collating the Lutheran Churches and turning into a Reich Church. Also opposition from Niemoller and Galen and Pope. Put people off Nazis, undermined stability. BUT, Although it was hard to deal with Church as it was controversial, People like Niemoller were sent to concentration camps, so dealt with

4) Other factors, Minority persecution, many felt it was immoral/unethical (esp Christians), put people off Nazis, undermined stability.

5) Conclusion: WW2 most important, it caused the most change in government and people's opinions.
Original post by JMR2017
How many marks do you think I would get for this???

1) How WW2 made caused Nazis to change policies, e.g. Women policy, also bad tactics from Hitler meant he lost support of army, July bomb plot etc. Then talked about how some schemes had to be rolled back, e.g Strength Through Joy and how everyone who paid for a car did not get it.

2) Other factors causing instability, First was Youth Opposition Groups, e.g Edelweiss Pirates and other groups, went against the Nazi ideal culture and undermined stability BUT had a small following, so less important. Also easily captured, leaders of Edelweiss Pirates killed in 1944 etc.

3) Other Factors, The Church, Many did not like Hitler collating the Lutheran Churches and turning into a Reich Church. Also opposition from Niemoller and Galen and Pope. Put people off Nazis, undermined stability. BUT, Although it was hard to deal with Church as it was controversial, People like Niemoller were sent to concentration camps, so dealt with

4) Other factors, Minority persecution, many felt it was immoral/unethical (esp Christians), put people off Nazis, undermined stability.

5) Conclusion: WW2 most important, it caused the most change in government and people's opinions.

I'm not sure how many marks it would get, but you seem to have lots of good points in there so you should be fine. You've answered in a different way to me but like I said, the question wasn't really suggestive of what to talk about ("stability" could refer to "stability" OR "instability) so the structure probably isn't as important as long as you have the content, which you do.
For your part 2, you could also talk about Women joining the work force, final solution, increased use of violence as a facade to the instability

Yes, definitely. I did talk about women in workforce (have to juggle responsibility with family etc.) as well as the Bishop Galen protests, July Bomb Plot and the Edelweiss Pirates killing the Gestapo chief briefly as well; just forgot to include in my post above.

Quick Reply

Latest