The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE options good?

Hi there, I was wondering if my GCSE options that I will soon be choosing.
I want to do;

History, with OCR;
Food Technology (its proper name is 'Food Preparation and Nutrition':wink:, with WJEC and;
Computer Science, with Edexcel.

At A-Level I want to do English Literature; History, and then either Government and Politics or something else. I have looked at the prospectus of the sixth-form I want to go to, and my GCSE choices would not be pulling me back in any way. I then want to go to Uni to study Law.

I HAVE to do English Lang/Lit; Maths; French; RS, and; Science

If I take out the subjects I am pretty much useless at, I can choose from; Computing (OCR); Geography (WJEC), and; Latin (OCR).

I was just wondering; are my option choices academic or not? I'm not sure if these will all look amazing on my CV. Out of the three subjects I have chosen, they are my best subjects and therefore I think these are best for me as I am able get the best possible grades in.

I don't know if I will be pulling myself down by not doing Latin or Geography instead of Food Tech. At the moment the Geography department at my school is not doing amazing; so it might be a wrong move for me to take Geography.

Are my options ok? Please give your honest opinions in relation to what I want to move on to after year 11.
Sorry this is such a long ramble about everything. Thank you in advance for any replies.

:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by t.langl
I want to do;

History, with OCR;
Food Technology (its proper name is 'Food Preparation and Nutrition':wink:, with WJEC and;

I HAVE to do English Lang/Lit; Maths; RS, and; Science

If I take out the subjects I am pretty much useless at, I can choose from; Computing (OCR); Geography (WJEC), and; Latin (OCR).

I was just wondering; are my option choices academic or not? I'm not sure if these will all look amazing on my CV. Out of the three subjects I have chosen, they are my best subjects and therefore I think these are best for me as I am able get the best possible grades in.

I don't know if I will be pulling myself down by not doing Latin or Geography instead of Food Tech. At the moment the Geography department at my school is not doing amazing; so it might be a wrong move for me to take Geography.

Are my options ok? Please give your honest opinions.
Sorry this is such a long ramble about everything. Thank you in advance for any replies.

They sound fine. Computer science and computing are both academic (albeit a little similar?) and I wouldn't say food tech is too academic, but it's fun and if you enjoy it and do well in it it'd definitely be worth doing. I did WJEC GCSE Geography and I must say I did not enjoy it at all except from the coursework which I do believe they'll be scrapping from the specification soon.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by t.langl
I want to do;

History, with OCR;

At A-Level I want to do English Literature; History, and then either Government and Politics or something else. I have looked at the prospectus of the sixth-form I want to go to, and my choices would not be pulling me back in any way

I HAVE to do English Lang/Lit; Maths; RS, and; Science

In my opinion, the subjects you choose for GCSE aren't too important in terms of your CV, the only thing you are relying on them strictly for is sixth form/college. My advice is to pick subjects you are good at, but enjoy (you're more likely to do better if you enjoy it!) Also have a think about what you want to do in sixth form, and possibly University, and go from there. Best bet is to talk to your teachers and see what they think!
Original post by HenryMcC
In my opinion, the subjects you choose for GCSE aren't too important in terms of your CV, the only thing you are relying on them strictly for is sixth form/college. My advice is to pick subjects you are good at, but enjoy (you're more likely to do better if you enjoy it!) Also have a think about what you want to do in sixth form, and possibly University, and go from there. Best bet is to talk to your teachers and see what they think!

Hi there! Thank you for your reply!

At A-Level I want to do English Literature; History, and then either Government and Politics or something else. I have looked at the prospectus of the sixth-form I want to go to, and my GCSE choices would not be pulling me back in any way. I then want to go to Uni to study Law.

So, in conclusion, I think that my options are ok for what I will do. The ones I am going to choose are probably the ones I will enjoy the most; therefore the ones I get the best grades in...

Thank you once again! :biggrin:
Original post by em_lj
They sound fine. Computer science and computing are both academic (albeit a little similar?) and I wouldn't say food tech is too academic, but it's fun and if you enjoy it and do well in it it'd definitely be worth doing. I did WJEC GCSE Geography and I must say I did not enjoy it at all except from the coursework which I do believe they'll be scrapping from the specification soon.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions :smile:

Hello, thank you for your response!

I really enjoy Food Tech at the moment- and based on the fact that employers prefer what grade over what subject, I will be settling with Food Technology. As a bonus there is still the element of coursework in this subject- unlike Geography. :colone: I've also seen some people on forums ****ging it off as it is so difficult; and based upon the fact the department at my school is not amazing, I will decide against it.

Thank you once again for your help!
Original post by t.langl
Hello, thank you for your response!

I really enjoy Food Tech at the moment- and based on the fact that employers prefer what grade over what subject, I will be settling with Food Technology. As a bonus there is still the element of coursework in this subject- unlike Geography. :colone: I've also seen some people on forums ****ging it off as it is so difficult; and based upon the fact the department at my school is not amazing, I will decide against it.

Thank you once again for your help!

Geography would be a far more academic subject to go for than Food Technology. Depending on what sort of university you will apply to, that one small choice might actually factor in.

If you want to min-max your chances of getting into Law, you will want Geography (if you think you can get at least a B if you can get an A in Food Technology). Proper law unis (namely top of the top unis) tend to be very selective and as such end up looking even at your GCSEs. Something tells me they would mostly dismiss so called 'soft' subjects even if you get good grades in them.

But then, your other GCSE choices are very 'proper' so you could argue that just one simple 'soft' GCSE really wouldn't matter much, so you might as well go for food tech, especially if you don't aim to apply to very top unis.
Original post by Caius Filimon
Geography would be a far more academic subject to go for than Food Technology. Depending on what sort of university you will apply to, that one small choice might actually factor in.

If you want to min-max your chances of getting into Law, you will want Geography (if you think you can get at least a B if you can get an A in Food Technology). Proper law unis (namely top of the top unis) tend to be very selective and as such end up looking even at your GCSEs. Something tells me they would mostly dismiss so called 'soft' subjects even if you get good grades in them.

But then, your other GCSE choices are very 'proper' so you could argue that just one simple 'soft' GCSE really wouldn't matter much, so you might as well go for food tech, especially if you don't aim to apply to very top unis.

Hi there! Thank you for your reply...

I want to go to Exeter University (fingers crossed), which is not a top university; but it is a 'Russel Group University'. I am not looking to apply to a top-end one such as Cambridge, but Exeter is quite high up the rankings.

I agree with what you say completely- they might very well look back to GCSE's; but the others I am doing are 'proper' so I think one 'soft' subject will not be a problem.

Thank you once again!
Hi everyone; I will be going with what I originally wanted;

History
Food Tech
ICT

Thank you all for your help! :biggrin:

Latest