The Student Room Group

Gcse options year 9

What is the best options GCSEs if you wanna become a pharmacist like i get you need triple science already and maths and english but idk about the optional like which is better for pharmacy geography or business?
Original post by aryc_30
What is the best options GCSEs if you wanna become a pharmacist like i get you need triple science already and maths and english but idk about the optional like which is better for pharmacy geography or business?

Your GCSE options don't really matter, especially as science and maths (you don't need triple science, combined is fine) are compulsory. I would just go with the one you enjoy more or the one you are likely to do better.
Reply 2
I think psychology would be a good option for you. It helps consolidate general medical understanding and there are some topics which will directly help in the pharmaceutical field. The neuropsychology topic would be useful for understanding how the brain works on a scientific level and it also links into GCSE biology nicely, it's a good way to kill two birds with one stone and set up a better foundation of biology knowledge. The mental problems topic also goes into antidepressants and how they work which may help! Generally I think it's a really strong subject to have, a psychology and biology combination is a really powerful headstart as it gives you a lot of background knowledge.

As for another option, I'd recommend history. This really depends on what your school is studying so make sure to ask, but if your school is going to study the changes in medicine topic during your GCSE course then I'd absolutely recommend it. If your school isn't doing that topic then it's honestly rather irrelevant. The changes in medicine topic goes through developments in surgery, medicine, nursing, and public health. It's another really nice topic that ties in perfectly to biology. It gives you a strong background that will help a ton in the future.

I haven't taken geo or business so I can't help there, but I wish you the best of luck in your GCSEs and I hope my advice has been of some use! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest