The Student Room Group

GCSE to A-Level Science

jj
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by zoe.nyaku
Right now I'm in year 10, in middle set science and I want to do triple science, but I have to wait until year 11 to see if I'll get into top set, as there are people in top set who are only there because the teachers did the sets very poorly and put people in that don't deserve it it and don't have the right levels (like getting 15 on 60 make tests)

Anyway, the reason why I want to do triple science is because I'd rather do all 3, because I've already decided what a levels I want to do, which are Biology, Chemistry and Physics and because I REALLY don't want to do combined.

But in the case that I have to do combined, would doing combined put me at a disadvantage at A-level since its not taught as the 3 sciences specifically? Like, would doing triple science then all 3 A-levels make more sense?

I'm guessing you're going for a "medicine" related course in university. The truth is, they just want as many A's as possible at GCSE. Luckily for you, you're going to know all of this before you take your exams. Which is needed because medicine gets more and more competitive by the year. Taking Triple science is nothing like A level science. I do Mathematics/Biology/Chemistry. Trust me, it's worth getting the extra GCSE, but only if you know you'll get 3 A's. Otherwise, play it safe and get the 2 A's.

You literally finish Triple 3 weeks before your actual exams. It's definitely a lot. But nothing compared to college. Lol, taking those A-levels will most likely require you to do what I'm doing.... aka, revising at least 3 hours a night. You think I'm joking? Just wait. GCSE is so easy compared to A-level. Yeah you could skip those 3 hours, but you won't get C's. And C's require A LOT of revision to get at AS. A's are basically unheard of in the subjects your going for. Unless you're already getting 8A*s + at GCSE...

Oh and you basically need a photographic memory for A level biology as it's now gone linear. Meaning all of your exams are at the end of year 2 (all 6 of them). Biology also has the most content out of any other A level available.

I don't wanna sound patronizing, but trust me, if you don't put your head down now, you'll end up having to do another degree before you go into medicine. (meaning 8 years in university). I know it might be hard, but please revise months before your exams. Past papers are key and never give up!
Reply 2
Triple science would probably be preferable- though honestly when you get to A level you will have forgotten most of your GCSEs anyway. I started off doing triple science and maths and dropped down to Chemistry, Physics and Maths. The step up from GCSE to A level is quite huge- however I don't think as a whole there is much difference whether you do double or triple science. It does make more sense though to do triple if you can.

Quick Reply

Latest