The Student Room Group

someone HELP!!! please

Can someone please help me with this, by either providing a mock answer, or a structure.

Question:
Using material from Item B and elsewhere, assess the strengths and limitations of using one of the following methods for investigating applications and admissions to secondary schools:
Either Documents

Item B:
Sociologists are interested in the processes by which pupils and their parents apply to, and pupils are admitted to, secondary schools. Much evidence suggests that working-class and minority ethnic group pupils are less likely to apply or to gain admission to higher status schools with good results.

Sociologists sometimes study applications and admissions to secondary schools by analysing documents. For example, study of the home/school contracts of high status schools may show that they require parents to make commitments that poorer families cannot make. Similarly, if researchers can obtain application forms and entrance test papers, these can be analysed for cultural bias. However, documents do not always convey a true picture of what really happens.
I'll refer to this aspect of item B:

"Sociologists are interested in the processes by which pupils and their parents apply to, and pupils are admitted to, secondary schools. Much evidence suggests that working-class and minority ethnic group pupils are less likely to apply or to gain admission to higher status schools with good results."

The question is asking you to apply your knowledge to the discussion of the above. You could mention (for example) streaming, self fulfilling prophecy, hidden curriculum.
Also remember to present a balanced argument. For example:

There is a theory that working class parents are unable to be as supportive to their childs education. They may not be able to attend parents evening as a result of working shifts or difficulty paying for travel and childcare. However, this will not apply to every working class parent.

The question is asking you to analyse the research method and to point out the strengths and flaws in it. You'll need to apply your knowledge of sociological theory (such as those I've mentioned here) to your analysis.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest