The Student Room Group

The past

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Smud
So why you and not your sister? Was it always this way?

Unmarried, applying for university again at masters level.

Not London.

Itsme because of what I did. She hasn't done anything like this therefore my mother trusts her more.
Have you got a boyfriend and what degree have you got?
Reply 21
Original post by aspire.1a
Itsme because of what I did. She hasn't done anything like this therefore my mother trusts her more.
Have you got a boyfriend and what degree have you got?

So she trusted you before the email/diary thing and you still couldn't talk to them?

Yep, illustration.
Reply 22
Yeah she did. but it's not about the diary thing. It was the fact that I spoke to a male! That was what sparked the tension between me and a few of my family members! Now that quite a few people found that that I liked this guy was completely embarrassing so now I have vowed to never tell a soul again if I have a new crush.
Reply 23
So what did you study at university if you don't mind me asking?
And have you got a boyfriend??
Reply 24
Original post by Smud
So why you and not your sister? Was it always this way?

Unmarried, applying for university again at masters level.

Not London.

Are you a teacher may I ask?
Reply 25
Yeah she did. but it's not about the diary thing. It was the fact that I spoke to a male! That was what sparked the tension between me and a few of my family members! Now that quite a few people found that that I liked this guy was completely embarrassing so now I have vowed to never tell a soul again if I have a new crush.

So you were embarrassed. It's a rubbish feeling, but perhaps you don't have to completely shut people out. Just maybe learn from your experience and find someone who is less likely to spread your secret.

Perhaps you could find a way to regain her trust. If anything to help make things a bit easier for you.
Reply 26
What degree do you have may I ask??
Reply 27
What degree do you have may I ask??

I already answered this. Look at a previous response.
Reply 28
I didn't see it
Reply 29
You do illustration as a degree???
Reply 30
You do illustration as a degree???

Yes.
Reply 31
okay because I thought you were a teacher
Reply 32
So what do you think of my situation?
You understand right?
Reply 33
What made you think I was a teacher?

While I understand that it feels very restricting and sucky right now, you need to find a way to move forwards. You have your midwifery to focus on, and I would find out at what point you could talk to men on your own free will. Is it an age limit? What is going to happen when you get to university? By the sounds of it you go to a mixed school, so why weren't you put into an all girls school to really restrict your chances of talking to males?
Reply 34
Umm Smud? I go to a girls school. I have been going since year 7!!!
I dont go to a mixed school.
Its not to do with age its more to do with religion!!
I can only talk to males in a professional manner and in a professional setting.
Reply 35
Just to let you know I was crying yesterday. I thought of the fun stuff that had happened before I did that thing.
I remembered the fun stuff we had before I ruined it all.
Just this morning I was thinking about what I had done and how it has ruined everything.
Hey, Aspire!
I feel like maybe the situation was a bit over exaggerated. I don't know what religion you are, but maybe it's more of a cultural thing. In my opinion simply saying hi to a guy doesn't get you thrown in hell. I was just wondering if you don't mind, what it is that was said.
Reply 37
Umm well it's a bit of both. I don't wish to specify the religion I follow however I have been brought up to not talk and mix with guys. I have been surrounded with females all my life especially considering that I have been in a girls school for six years!!!!
Reply 38
Are you female??
Reply 39
Umm Smud? I go to a girls school. I have been going since year 7!!!
I dont go to a mixed school.
Its not to do with age its more to do with religion!!
I can only talk to males in a professional manner and in a professional setting.

So what if a male stranger asks you for directions in the street (eg where is this shop), can you still not respond? Again, at university you will be mixed with men in non-professional settings. How will this work for you?

I'm wondering if there is some cultural/environmental reasons behind it, but simply because I can't recall of a specific religious rule which applies to this kind of situation.

The point I'm trying to get at is, at what point in life will this ban be lifted? Will it ever be? There has to be some kind of cut off point. And at what point, do you decide what path you are going to follow - because you have human rights like the rest of us to this. If you're happy with the way things are, I'm not going to tell you to do something else because it's not my place to tell you what to do.

Quick Reply

Latest