The Student Room Group

Summer Schools for University

How important are the summer schools like UNIQ and the Sutton Trust in applications to university? Hoping to study maths or a science at Cambridge or another top uni. How important are these summer schools as I think it is unlikely I will get into one? What other 'super-curriculars' are there for maths and science/ how do I stand out?
Thanks
Original post by dogdogdog
How important are the summer schools like UNIQ and the Sutton Trust in applications to university? Hoping to study maths or a science at Cambridge or another top uni. How important are these summer schools as I think it is unlikely I will get into one? What other 'super-curriculars' are there for maths and science/ how do I stand out?
Thanks

Maths... public lectures, books, maths challenges, anything like tutoring maths or.. something else involving maths. Work experience that somehow can be related to maths is good as well. Don't forget that programming is a part of maths so if you do anything related to that, whether it's teaching yourself R or Python or SQL or anything... that's good.

Summer schools aren't a must but can certainly help. especially to determine whether a subject is for you by getting a taste for it... and showing you are interested in a course or a uni and being able to talk about it.

I have a friend who went to LSE's summer school/programme and it helped him to get an offer there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest