The Student Room Group

University Applications

hey!! i'm now in year 12 i wanted to know if there's something i should already start doing from now for my uni applications? if yes please list them down. thank you!!
Original post by vampirefey
hey!! i'm now in year 12 i wanted to know if there's something i should already start doing from now for my uni applications? if yes please list them down. thank you!!

If you're applying for Medicine or Dentistry, now's the time to get some work experience (if you're applying for other courses, work experience is nice but not essential and something that can be sorted out next year). If not, you should just read a little about the subject you want to do at uni but mostly focus on your A levels for now - keep on top of them! You'll start earnestly working on your uni applications a little further down the academic year :smile:
Reply 2
Start thinking about what you might want to study - and why.
So look at University course pages and find out what various subjects are about at degree level.
What A level subjects and grades do they want etc.

Taster sessions (sample lectures) - search facility from UCAS - University Taster Courses | UCAS

There will be Open Days in May/June (some earlier) which are definitely worth going to when you have narrowed down your ideas a bit - in the meantime, look for Campus Tour and Open Day films on YouTube to give you an idea of what to expect.

Depending on your possible Uni subject, there will be residentials ('Summer Schools') or other Outreach schemes (online) at many Unis in the summer between Year 12 and 13, or during Year 13. They will start being advertised soon and often have closing dates in the New Year. There are def. worth doing as they will give you a taster of 'what being at Uni' feels like - and can alos be enormously motivating for Year 13 study. Examples :
Gloucestershire Summer residentials - University of Gloucestershire (glos.ac.uk)
York - Summer schools and short courses - International students, University of York
Birmingham - National Access Summer School - University of Birmingham
Bath - Outreach Programmes (bath.ac.uk)

Hey @vampirefey 👋

That's great that you're thinking ahead already, what are you thinking of studying?

If you have some ideas already of what type of degree you want to study that would help us to give you advice on some things you can do to prepare.

@McGinger has some great advice there!

I'd also recommend looking into the modules that you will be studying. There are a lot of degrees with the same or similar names that are taught differently at different universities, so check out the course breakdowns and compare them for what you think you would most like to be studying.

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Hi there @vampirefey

It's good to hear that you are starting to think about university! Year 12 is a great time to start thinking and start doing research, so you are all set to make your UCAS application.

Firstly, like others have said, I would start thinking about what subjects that you want to study and why. If you cannot decide what course you would like to study or cannot make your mind up, I would weigh up the pros and cons of each and see what subject will be most fruitful! It's a good idea to study something you love. It is worth bearing in mind that some universities may offer combined degrees, meaning you can study two subjects 50/50 and receive a complete degree at the end!

Secondly, once you have a subject in mind, I would research what universities offer what you are looking to study. From there, you can compare modules and curriculums in order to see what university offers the best version of the subject.

Open Days are really important! It's one thing to be set on a university's course, but you need to visit them! Seeing the campus and facilities, speaking to academics and current students is a great way to make final decisions or give you a good idea of where you might end up. Get yourself booked on to an Open Day when the time suits you!

Alternatively, UCAS/HE/Careers Fairs are a good opportunity to speak to universities about what they offer. They can feel overwhelming, but having multiple universities in one room is the best way to utilize your time and research. Ask for their materials such as prospectuses, so you can go away and do further research about what you want to study!

These are only a few suggestions to get you started, but I hope you find them useful!

Estelle :smile:
Graduate Advocate

Hi vampirefey,
For applications, my general advice would be to read around the subject you are applying for. This is so that you can refer to this in your personal statement, which will highlight your interest in the subject. If you have the opportunity to gain relevant work experience, that would also be something great to talk about in your personal statement or in interviews if they are required.
Good luck with your applications,
Sofia (3rd Year Biochemistry Student)
Reply 6
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi vampirefey,
For applications, my general advice would be to read around the subject you are applying for. This is so that you can refer to this in your personal statement, which will highlight your interest in the subject. If you have the opportunity to gain relevant work experience, that would also be something great to talk about in your personal statement or in interviews if they are required.
Good luck with your applications,
Sofia (3rd Year Biochemistry Student)

Thank You!! But I have a question you mentioned personal statement but my school counselor told me we don't need this. Was she wrong please let me in on this so I'm prepared and thanks again!
Reply 7
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hey @vampirefey 👋

That's great that you're thinking ahead already, what are you thinking of studying?

If you have some ideas already of what type of degree you want to study that would help us to give you advice on some things you can do to prepare.

@McGinger has some great advice there!

I'd also recommend looking into the modules that you will be studying. There are a lot of degrees with the same or similar names that are taught differently at different universities, so check out the course breakdowns and compare them for what you think you would most like to be studying.

Best wishes

yes omg i thought the degrees were same just listed down twice. thank you for letting me know!!
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
Start thinking about what you might want to study - and why.
So look at University course pages and find out what various subjects are about at degree level.
What A level subjects and grades do they want etc.

Taster sessions (sample lectures) - search facility from UCAS - University Taster Courses | UCAS

There will be Open Days in May/June (some earlier) which are definitely worth going to when you have narrowed down your ideas a bit - in the meantime, look for Campus Tour and Open Day films on YouTube to give you an idea of what to expect.

Depending on your possible Uni subject, there will be residentials ('Summer Schools') or other Outreach schemes (online) at many Unis in the summer between Year 12 and 13, or during Year 13. They will start being advertised soon and often have closing dates in the New Year. There are def. worth doing as they will give you a taster of 'what being at Uni' feels like - and can alos be enormously motivating for Year 13 study. Examples :
Gloucestershire Summer residentials - University of Gloucestershire (glos.ac.uk)
York - Summer schools and short courses - International students, University of York
Birmingham - National Access Summer School - University of Birmingham
Bath - Outreach Programmes (bath.ac.uk)

thank you so much!! i might be attending Oxford Summer School next year but I dont think I'll get into the university itself (lol) is it okay to attend summer schools for unis I might not be attending?
thank you so much!! i might be attending Oxford Summer School next year but I dont think I'll get into the university itself (lol) is it okay to attend summer schools for unis I might not be attending?

Heya 👋

How's year 12 going so far?

Summer school is an awesome idea! It doesn't matter if you do this at a university you don't apply to, the experience itself is what is important 😊

It's a great way to broaden your knowledge and experiences and will look good on your uni application wherever you decide to go!

Best wishes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending