The Student Room Group

Maths/Computer Science opportunities for year 12 students

I've just started year 12, and have been trying to find some supercurricular activities to do relative to the subjects I like: maths and computing. However, they all seem to be for "disadvantaged students", and while I'm a girl at a state (grammar) school and money is still an issue I don't strictly fit any of the criteria needed to apply- for example, Stem Smart is something I would've loved to do but just can't. So, I was just wondering if there is anything out there that *anyone* can apply to.
Thanks if you can help me!!
Original post by lucyy06
I've just started year 12, and have been trying to find some supercurricular activities to do relative to the subjects I like: maths and computing. However, they all seem to be for "disadvantaged students", and while I'm a girl at a state (grammar) school and money is still an issue I don't strictly fit any of the criteria needed to apply- for example, Stem Smart is something I would've loved to do but just can't. So, I was just wondering if there is anything out there that *anyone* can apply to.

Oxford have a maths and physics programme called COMPOS. You don't have to be disadvantaged. You submit an assignment which they set, two sets of hard questions. They select those who get enough right and then tutor them online in groups, working through problem sets.
You can also join competitions for computing or coding.
You can work as a tutor in either subject for kids and talk about how you've learnt how to teach these topics in basic terms demonstrating your competence and knowledge, and communication.
Wider reading on maths is easily available. You just need to learn a few extra subjects through books or online courses which shows your interest and hard work. Good luck with everything
Reply 2
Original post by randomplant
Oxford have a maths and physics programme called COMPOS. You don't have to be disadvantaged. You submit an assignment which they set, two sets of hard questions. They select those who get enough right and then tutor them online in groups, working through problem sets.
You can work as a tutor in either subject for kids and talk about how you've learnt how to teach these topics in basic terms demonstrating your competence and knowledge, and communication.
Wider reading on maths is easily available. You just need to learn a few extra subjects through books or online courses which shows your interest and hard work. Good luck with everything

Tysm 😊 I’ll check out COMPOS as physics is my 4th A level, that sounds great.
Reply 3
Original post by randomplant

what if you don’t take physics a level
Reply 5
Original post by lucyy06

what are the opportunities you found for disadvantaged students involving tech/computer science?

Quick Reply

Latest