The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
amazingtrade
Again this is people getting mixed up. It is actually the university of central lancashire that has the highest suciede rate in the country, and even I think the figure is about two since the 1960's from the days when it was a poly.

This question was raised at my sister open day at Lancashire and they aaid it was a load rubbish, we are also discussing this at Salford and one of my lecturers who has a PHd also said it was a load crap at is was UCL.

The location of Lancaster isn't that bad, it has lovely hills sorounding it but I admit it isn't exactly party land.

Are you sure? I think it's Lancaster because of the tall Bowland tower there. Lancasters location is great though if you wish to do the kind of activities which can be done in the Pennines/North Yorkshire Dales/Lake District - even if it is occasional. Lancaster also has more of a pub scene than a club scene which is what I prefer if I do ever go out. I'd rather be able to talk to people than shout an inaudible convo.
Reply 81
Spleenus`
Are you sure? I think it's Lancaster because of the tall Bowland tower there. Lancasters location is great though if you wish to do the kind of activities which can be done in the Pennines/North Yorkshire Dales/Lake District - even if it is occasional. Lancaster also has more of a pub scene than a club scene which is what I prefer if I do ever go out. I'd rather be able to talk to people than shout an inaudible convo.

But Lancaster itself is sort of stranded out on its own - only the delights of Morecombe Bay and Barrow-in-Furness are near it, it's a long and arduous drive both North and South.
Reply 82
*runs in to defend her uni*

Ok lancaster is not in the middle of nowhere....someone get a map out and you will find its on a direct train link to London, Manchester, Preston, Edinburgh. Its very close to the Lakes and only a 10 mins bus ride from campus to city centre.

The buses are expensive, thats why you can get a uni rider which is about £150 for a year which will take you all around Lancaster and Morchambe.

The nightlife is quite good.

It's a small city but then the bigger ones of Preston and Manc are not far away.

The academic side of things is good, many of the departments are 5 or 6 star rated for research and teaching. Lancs is internationally well known.

As for the suicide rate that has something to do with Bowland tower. There haven't been any in a long time. The reason it is so high in the table for it is due to a few people comitting suicide within a few years of each other and drunken incidents apparently (That is just what i've heard it may not be true).

Lancaster is a great uni, ok the city isn't fantastic but I like it. It's a personal thing.

All I advise is bring an umbrella and a big thick jumper!! :biggrin:
Reply 83
Fairydust

Ok lancaster is not in the middle of nowhere....someone get a map out and you will find its on a direct train link to London, Manchester, Preston, Edinburgh. Its very close to the Lakes and only a 10 mins bus ride from campus to city centre.

The buses are expensive, thats why you can get a uni rider which is about £150 for a year which will take you all around Lancaster and Morchambe.

The nightlife is quite good.

It's a small city but then the bigger ones of Preston and Manc are not far away.

The academic side of things is good, many of the departments are 5 or 6 star rated for research and teaching. Lancs is internationally well known.

As for the suicide rate that has something to do with Bowland tower. There haven't been any in a long time. The reason it is so high in the table for it is due to a few people comitting suicide within a few years of each other and drunken incidents apparently (That is just what i've heard it may not be true).

Lancaster is a great uni, ok the city isn't fantastic but I like it. It's a personal thing.

But Preston and Manchester are a fair trek, they're not on your doorstep.
Reply 84
Lancaster and Aberdeen. Plus see my seperate thread about Manchester, (snappily entitled 'Manchester: pls leave in general forum').
sisyphus
Lancaster and Aberdeen. Plus see my seperate thread about Manchester, (snappily entitled 'Manchester: pls leave in general forum').

Aberdeen for sure. Also Strathclyde (outwith Scotland) and certainly Manchester (internationally).
Reply 86
mobbdeeprob
There are all too many people swanning around, thinking that Nottingham and Warwick (in particular) are the bees knees. They're simply not.

They're both good universities, esp. Warwick, one of the most selective and has an excellent RAE average. If you want to raise the threshold as high as you seem to be doing, and many do, then you may as well say that Oxford and Cambridge are the only universities that really matter.
Reply 87
Mutsuhito
They're both good universities, esp. Warwick, one of the most selective and has an excellent RAE average. If you want to raise the threshold as high as you seem to be doing, and many do, then you may as well say that Oxford and Cambridge are the only universities that really matter.

I think you have misunderstood the point he was trying to make. You should also not base too much on the selectiveness of the university (could lead to a discussion about Bristol.....again :wink: ).
Reply 88
It took my dad 35 minutes to drive from South Manchester to Lancaster University on the M6 and he wasn't speeding. £150 a year is still expensive when you considering I am paying £2.50 a week for my stagecoach unirider in Manchester.

Don't get me wrong I do like Lancaster especialy the university, I just found the city very small as I had nothing to but wonder round for a few hours I ended up getting the bus to Morcombe which is described as a the seaside town that forget to close down in a certain song. I wondered round the city centre for 2 hours and was bored rigide at the end of it.

It is a nice city though which has its charms but to me its more of a small town.
Reply 89
Lord Huntroyde
But Lancaster itself is sort of stranded out on its own - only the delights of Morecombe Bay and Barrow-in-Furness are near it, it's a long and arduous drive both North and South.

lol how is barrow close to lancaster, it takes less time to get to manchester :biggrin: it might only be 7 miles as the crow flys but it takes ages to get there. And oi, morecambe isn't that bad, some really nice places.

Lancaster is on the west coast main line, its near the M6, its probably on the only decent route up to scotland. It only takes about an hour to get to Manchester, and 30 mins to preston if that. its Brilliant :biggrin:
Reply 90
amazingtrade

Don't get me wrong I do like Lancaster especialy the university, I just found the city very small as I had nothing to but wonder round for a few hours I ended up getting the bus to Morcombe which is described as a the seaside town that forget to close down in a certain song. I wondered round the city centre for 2 hours and was bored rigide at the end of it.

Where may i ask is Morcombe? Last time i checked it was Morecambe! :tongue:

edit, and before anyone says its, heysham is said "He-Sham" it is NOT said "Hay-Sham". my god people!
Reply 91
Fairydust

Advice heeded. Which college are you in?
Reply 92
Leekey
I think you have misunderstood the point he was trying to make. You should also not base too much on the selectiveness of the university (could lead to a discussion about Bristol.....again :wink: ).

How could I have possibly misunderstood the point? He merely stated that there are people out there who regard Warwick and Notts as the “bees knees”, it's hardly some highly complex thesis with an array of intricate details. All I'm saying is that if they're not, then if that's the threshold one's going to use, then only Oxbridge are. As for selectivity, that's my personal preference, it's what I use, if you've alternative methods of ascertaining a university's academic credentials, then use them - each to their own.
Reply 93
Fairydust

Hmm...ok then. In the middle of nowhere with some transport links.

Latest

Trending

Trending