The Student Room Group

University students: what do you do to look after your mental health?

University is a scary, stressful, but amazing time for many people. It comes with its ups and downs, and it can be truly an eye-opening experience in terms of yourself and your mental health.

So, university students (but anyone really), what do you do to look after your mental health?

Deadlines at university can be pretty stressful for me, for example, so I tend to use the gym as my break sessions from writing an essay. It's great because it gets me away from screens and analysing literature for an hour or two, and I can focus on a good solid workout which benefits not only my physical health but my mental health too. :yep:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Airmed
University is a scary, stressful, but amazing time for many people. It comes with its ups and downs, and it can be truly an eye-opening experience in terms of yourself and your mental health.

So, university students (but anyone really), what do you do to look after your mental health?

Deadlines at university can be pretty stressful for me, for example, so I tend to use the gym as my break sessions from writing an essay. It's great because it gets me away from screens and analysing literature for an hour or two, and I can focus on a good solid workout which benefits not only my physical health but my mental health too. :yep:

Feel bad cus this could really help people and never got any replies. So...

- Think about what I need to do in a day and what might be achievable. Then write it down and tick off at the end, or as I go. Write any extra stuff I do down too!
- Try and mix things up a bit and have regular breaks
- Make myself eat and drink regularly even when I don't want to. Same applies to sleep patterns and exercise although mine are crap
- Remember your health comes first, and also to breathe! Yeah they sound easy but really not, can make a big difference though

I'm not at uni yet but the concept's still the same :smile:
- Accomplish something small (that's not school related); i.e. doing my dishes, making my bed, doing groceries, etc.
- Self-care; i.e. painting my nails, doing a face mask
- Calling a family member or my partner
- Blogging (I keep a blog that has nothing to do with school)
- Yoga
- Running
- Taking a nap
the concept applies to all aspects of life.
time management, especially getting work started early just in case something goes wrong later
relaxation time is crucial to avoid burning out
finding and developing coping mechanisms
talking to people about anything that is on your mind to release the pressure
remembering why you are doing what you are doing to keep yourself motivated.
Not matter how busy, make sure you get 7 hrs sleep every night.

Even if you do nothing else, getting proper rest every day will help you cope with the stress of assignments, exams, family life and anything else that night crop up. .

I'm really stressed juggling job, uni and personal stuff. The sleep really helps
Ah ****, sorry, didn't see this when it was originally posted :facepalm:

In my second year of uni, myself and my two best friends/tutorial partners (Oxford's collegiate system meant there was me and two boys in my course in my year for the whole college, lol) instituted what we called "The Daily Doss". Almost every single day (if the three of us were all in Oxford. Sometimes we weren't all there at the same time), we would ring up the others and say "Daily Doss?" and then descend upon someone's bedroom (usually my mate S's, lol. Not sure why he ended up playing host all the time). We would spend at least one hour (sometimes longer, but never less than an hour) drinking tea and spending time with each other without doing work. We could discuss work for a little if we wanted or how things were going on that front, but the rule was we did not DO any work during that hour.

I honestly don't believe any of us three would have got out of that place with degrees to our name, had we not had The Daily Doss. It was a wonderful way to recharge the batteries and just enjoy time together :moon:

Quick Reply

Latest