The Student Room Group

When to apply for Slaughter and May TC?

Hi,

I recently applied for a winter vac scheme at Slaughters, and the status of the app is 'under consideration.' However, a new option has appeared on the 'apply' section-asking if I would like to create a further application (for a training contract). I was wondering, does anybody know when I should do this? Should I wait until I have received a decision with regards the vac scheme? Or perhaps until I have completed it, if they give me an offer? It's pretty confusing.

Thanks and best regards,

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you commencing your 2nd year of a Law degree?

If so, Slaughters, I'm pretty sure, will want to see your 2nd year results when considering you for a training contract.

I guess you could submit the form when ever you like though. You'll be able to update your application form with your second year results when you get them. Also, you'll be able to update the work experience/employment history part of your application with details of the vac sch you will be doing.
Reply 2
Tory_boy
Are you commencing your 2nd year of a Law degree?

If so, Slaughters, I'm pretty sure, will want to see your 2nd year results when considering you for a training contract.

I guess you could submit the form when ever you like though. You'll be able to update your application form with your second year results when you get them. Also, you'll be able to update the work experience/employment history part of your application with details of the vac sch you will be doing.

Thanks-I'm final year non-law-already put down my 2nd year results. I guess I'll wait until I hear about the vac scheme, then do the second application-the one for a TC, then, so I can update it as you suggest.
Are Slaughters one of the firms that give TC interviews to the vac scheme students at the end of their stint in if they want one? Or would you really have to go home and apply all over again for the TC (assuming you hadn't done so beforehand)?
Reply 4
Zarathustra
Are Slaughters one of the firms that give TC interviews to the vac scheme students at the end of their stint in if they want one? Or would you really have to go home and apply all over again for the TC (assuming you hadn't done so beforehand)?

That's what I'm trying to work out-I'm guessing I may be able to simply apply for a TC when I found out about the vac scheme, ie November or sometime. There is an option on their webpage to simply copy details used in the vac scheme app.
Albiceleste
That's what I'm trying to work out-I'm guessing I may be able to simply apply for a TC when I found out about the vac scheme, ie November or sometime. There is an option on their webpage to simply copy details used in the vac scheme app.

Lol, it would be funny to just send off the same app twice :p:

Personally I feel a bit iffy about applying for the TC before I do the Vac Scheme - I mean, part of the *point* of doing the VS for me was so that I'd be able to talk about it as part of my reasons for applying in my TC covering letter (assuming I (a) get the VS and (b) apply for a TC). Otherwise I'd have nothing really to say that I hadn't already said on my VS app.

I dunno, I think I'm just really confused about this whole issue. As long as it doesn't disadvantage me in any way, I would rather apply for TCs after vac schemes...
Reply 6
i think i'll be waiting.

whilst vac schemes are competitive, it would be silly to send in the same application which may (or may not) end up in a vac scheme rejection. many firms offer feedback after rejections for vac schemes - perhaps it would be more useful to wait to see how the application could be improved? and at the same time (as you said), the VS itself is something which could enhance and inform a TC application.

the xmas vac schemes applications i've done so far have all been submitted early - pretty much opening day or week. as long as you get into any application process before a general rush near the end, i can't see why applying a month from the earliest opportunity would be a disadvantage.
Reply 7
Do you think It's worthwhile applying for christmas schemes as a second year law student?

The firms I've looked at so far indicate that these are for third year non-law students ONLY. Does anyone know of any firms that don't stipulate this?

btw, I apologise for high-jacking this thread.
Reply 8
I want to do a Christmas scheme. I hate summer and get cross and unproductive when it's too hot. Also you get the whole Christmas in London atmosphere.

I also apologise for hijacking this thread.
Reply 9
Qami
Do you think It's worthwhile applying for christmas schemes as a second year law student?

The firms I've looked at so far indicate that these are for third year non-law students ONLY. Does anyone know of any firms that don't stipulate this?

btw, I apologise for high-jacking this thread.

The Magic Circle don't stipulate as far as I'm aware but you would be very unlikely to get a place on the schemes. It's much better to give the summer ones a shot, and in the meantime just enjoy your university year before you get tangled up in all this and it overtakes your life..?!
Reply 10
tiggerish
I want to do a Christmas scheme. I hate summer and get cross and unproductive when it's too hot. Also you get the whole Christmas in London atmosphere.
What are you going to do when you get a TC and then qualify? Ask if you can have every Summer off? Also, provided that you do get a TC in London you will get to spend lots and lots of Christmases in London, although why you'd want to I don't know. London at Christmas is ridiculously stressful.
Reply 11
TommehR
What are you going to do when you get a TC and then qualify? Ask if you can have every Summer off? Also, provided that you do get a TC in London you will get to spend lots and lots of Christmases in London, although why you'd want to I don't know. London at Christmas is ridiculously stressful.

Hmm, I am pretty buggered. But if I show up at Christmas, I'll impress them more, then get a training contract since they won't know any better. By the time I become hayfevery and unproductive, it'll be too late.

Or I could just convert to...Iceland-ish law and move there.

I thought it would be pretty, with outdoor ice rinks and happy people etc. Too many films?
Reply 12
Definitely too many films :wink:.

The shop windows are lovely though, and the Christmas lights are gorgeous. A favourite of mine is the merry-go-round thing at Leicester Square. But avoid Oxford Street if you can, and in general the harried crowds can't help but stress you. But maybe you won't mind because of the novelty, haha.
Reply 13
The Regent's and Oxford Street lights were crap last year. Regent's Street had adverts for Flushed Away all over the place.
Reply 14
tiggerish
I thought it would be pretty, with ... happy people etc.

This is Xmas in London we're talking about here?!

If you want prettiness and happy people come Chrimbo then you might want to consider Sydney. Its 22 degrees today, water temp 18 degrees, bright blue skies and light at 5.45am so you can surf for an hour and a half before work. Oh, and its our equivalent of March so it just gets better from here on in....
Related question - there's a box on the Norton Rose Christmas vac scheme form you can tick in order to apply for a TC for Sept 2010 at the same time and with the same form.

Do they expect all serious candidates to tick 'yes' to this, in the sense that in order for someone to be a realistic candidate for a vac scheme place they'll have to be seriously interested in doing their TC at Norton Rose? I am slightly apprehensive about ticking it as I'd feel as if I was trying to run before I could walk (inasmuch as I haven't even done any vac schemes whatsoever yet); on the other hand, I don't want to be immediately ruled out from the vac scheme as someone who isn't really interested in working for the firm.
Ticking or not ticking the option of applying for a training contract does nothing to show interest in the firm. I ticked the option on some of my applications but I regret doing it. If you are unsuccessful in getting a vacation scheme with Norton Rose, like most firms, they will reject you for a training contract with them simultaneously. As a result if there's something that you've done or achieved in the meantime, you won't get to tell them about it. Whereas if you don't apply for a training contract at the same time, you can submit subsantially the same application again and talk about those achievements in full.

Incidentally, I will be talking at length on vacation scheme applications - how to be more successful, in a few days on my blog. Hope you read it and comment on it...
Reply 17
On a further note, it is often reported back by people that Slaughter and May seem to be far more likely to offer a training contract if you interview after your vacation scheme. This may not affect people going for the Christmas scheme, but is worth remembering if doing a summer placement.
I was shortlisted after interview and failed to get in because I did no vacation scheme at the MC like other applicants with 1sts and high 2.1's.

My CV was blatantly tailored towards the bar. If you really want to go there definitely do the vac scheme
Reply 19
this is what i don't understand.

many firms urge unsuccessful vac scheme applicants to try for a training contract, but surely by the TC application stage it's just a case of 'let's pick the best vac scheme students'...

Latest

Trending

Trending