The Student Room Group

Edinburgh's MSc in Psychological Research?

How does it compare to other programs and is it worth doing?
Anyone who is currently pursuing it or will be beginning in 2017-18?
Pick a course that interests you and that will help with your career. No one can tell you which one that is because it's very personal. If you want to find people on the course try asking the uni and check on TSR connect: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect
Hi!

I received an offer to do this course this coming sept but I'm still thinking about it as my other choice is Durham.

What are your long term goals?

Denise
Reply 3
Original post by igcsecrazy
Hi!

I received an offer to do this course this coming sept but I'm still thinking about it as my other choice is Durham.

What are your long term goals?

Denise

Firstly, congratulations on the offer! Which Durham course have you applied for?

I'm inclined towards neuropsychology and that's why I like Edinburgh's program since it has many modules in that area. But I also want to keep my options open for research in other specializations, so I figured a more general course made sense. What about you?

And how long did Edinburgh take to respond to you, if I may ask?
Original post by ami95
Firstly, congratulations on the offer! Which Durham course have you applied for?

I'm inclined towards neuropsychology and that's why I like Edinburgh's program since it has many modules in that area. But I also want to keep my options open for research in other specializations, so I figured a more general course made sense. What about you?

And how long did Edinburgh take to respond to you, if I may ask?

Thank you!

I applied for an MSc by Research at Durham as well. So I'm a little confused about which offer to accept.

Although as far as I'm aware, I think Edinburgh's programme has taught modules such as statistics and research methods which would be useful if you want something more general. But I'm keen on going full on research as I think it would help me get onto a PhD course.

I'd say I'm more inclined to social psychology but would like to venture into a more clinical approach. Edinburgh took around 4 weeks if I remember correctly. And Durham took around 6 weeks.
Reply 5
Original post by linda helena
I took that course a few years ago. It was a good programme in terms of the structure of the programme, courses offered etc and I had the opportunity to do a very fun dissertation with a great supervisor. I will say though that I wasn't very happy with other aspecs of the course but as someone said that's very personal and besides that was a few years ago now.

Hi Linda, it's good to hear from someone who has taken the course! Could you tell me a little more about the aspects in particular that you were dissatisfied with? And do you think that course opened up more job/ PhD prospects to you post graduation?
Reply 6
Thank you!

I applied for an MSc by Research at Durham as well. So I'm a little confused about which offer to accept.

Although as far as I'm aware, I think Edinburgh's programme has taught modules such as statistics and research methods which would be useful if you want something more general. But I'm keen on going full on research as I think it would help me get onto a PhD course.

I'd say I'm more inclined to social psychology but would like to venture into a more clinical approach. Edinburgh took around 4 weeks if I remember correctly. And Durham took around 6 weeks.

I plan on applying for a PhD too, and in that regard, I was wondering whether it would be better to do a more specific course in Neuroscience/ Neuropsychology since I know I am inclined towards it or whether the general research methods course would be appreciated more. What do you think? Especially since you want to go down the clinical route, why aren't you doing a course specifically in Social/ Clinical Psychology?

Also, good luck with your final decision! :smile:
Original post by ami95
I plan on applying for a PhD too, and in that regard, I was wondering whether it would be better to do a more specific course in Neuroscience/ Neuropsychology since I know I am inclined towards it or whether the general research methods course would be appreciated more. What do you think? Especially since you want to go down the clinical route, why aren't you doing a course specifically in Social/ Clinical Psychology?

Also, good luck with your final decision! :smile:

Perhaps if you know neuroscience is what you want to do for you PhD then maybe look into a masters for that? For me I have a very specific research interest (hormones and mental health) and I picked supervisors who matched that. Also I don't want to be doing lectures in social or clinical psychology as I want to embark on a pure research degree. Additionally social/clinical routes to me seem to end up in applied settings (i.e. clinical psychologist) however I want to focus on research and academia.

And thank you! I think I'm leaning towards Durham as it is pure research. As much as I am nervous about not having lectures to structure my degree, I think it'll be best.

Goodl uck too!
Reply 8
Perhaps if you know neuroscience is what you want to do for you PhD then maybe look into a masters for that? For me I have a very specific research interest (hormones and mental health) and I picked supervisors who matched that. Also I don't want to be doing lectures in social or clinical psychology as I want to embark on a pure research degree. Additionally social/clinical routes to me seem to end up in applied settings (i.e. clinical psychologist) however I want to focus on research and academia.

And thank you! I think I'm leaning towards Durham as it is pure research. As much as I am nervous about not having lectures to structure my degree, I think it'll be best.

Goodl uck too!

That makes sense then, let me know what you finally decide :smile: I'm still waiting to hear back from all the colleges before I make my final decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending