The Student Room Group

GCSEs are hard, any useful revision tips?

Okay, recently I was told what I got in my mocks, I received a C in maths, a D in media, and a G in english, with my english I was extremely disappointed as I always achieved a grade D and never below, English has always been my weakest subject, and I feel like for me its impossible to get a C, So I was wondering, are there any useful revision websites or revision tips for english?
Practice, practice, practice! That's all you can really do in addition to reading (and annotating) the material and learning techniques used by the writers. You can find several practice papers online, they are life saving. A good tip is to learn what the mark scheme requires from you (AO1, AO2 and A03) in that way when you're going through your essay you can critically analyze it and assume what objectives you have or haven't met.

But by far my favorite tip is: "always link your answer back to the question". This seems obvious enough but sometimes you notice that you have written a lot of good informative stuff but... it doesn't answer the question given by the paper, therefore not earning you any marks and you've consequently wasted your precious time

I hope this was somewhat useful, I'm in year 11 so please take my advice with a grain of salt as I'm not by any means an expert :smile:

Oh and CGP revision guides for English are amazing, you should definitely check them out.
Reply 2
Original post by matthew43
Practice, practice, practice! That's all you can really do in addition to reading (and annotating) the material and learning techniques used by the writers. You can find several practice papers online, they are life saving. A good tip is to learn what the mark scheme requires from you (AO1, AO2 and A03) in that way when you're going through your essay you can critically analyze it and assume what objectives you have or haven't met.

But by far my favorite tip is: "always link your answer back to the question". This seems obvious enough but sometimes you notice that you have written a lot of good informative stuff but... it doesn't answer the question given by the paper, therefore not earning you any marks and you've consequently wasted your precious time

I hope this was somewhat useful, I'm in year 11 so please take my advice with a grain of salt as I'm not by any means an expert :smile:

Oh and CGP revision guides for English are amazing, you should definitely check them out.

Thank you so much for the advice, well appreciated, I will take everything on board, I will do a lot of revision this year and next year, as I'm going probably do my english GCSE next year, I just need read more and look on mark schemes from the AQA exam board, I need put a lot more effort in.

Quick Reply

Latest