The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Howard
Haha! I know Luton very well. I spent 5 years at Luton College of HE (now laughingly renamed the "University of Luton")

God! That Flamingo! Wasn't it hideous? A giant papier mache splodge of pink designed and constructed (or so it seemed) by a group of pre-schoolers. PLEASE.......tell me it's no longer in existance!

Apparently, it's long since extinct ... I don't even know if the arndale's still there? Any Lutonians want to set the record straight?
Reply 101
eleenia
Apparently, it's long since extinct ... I don't even know if the arndale's still there? Any Lutonians want to set the record straight?

I think it's still there. I remember it being refurbed about 10 years ago but havn't set foot in Luton since then.
Reply 102
riffraff
lol, then how come we get water shortages nearly every summer?

Thats cos you must be a greedy southerner :tongue: Got plenty of water up here in the lakes :biggrin:
Vladek
Thats cos you must be a greedy southerner :tongue: Got plenty of water up here in the lakes :biggrin:

There are other water supplies you know :tongue:
Reply 104
Coss@ck
we call the Americans much worse anyway :tongue:

Now there's a surprise.
Reply 105
sisyphus
Because the British put up with it. Those people that are left behind, unlike the Americans and the Australians*, are those who haven't had the imagination to leave.

*Obviously in the case of convicts it wasn't always a choice.

Sorry, i dont understand.
Reply 106
sisyphus
Because the British put up with it. Those people that are left behind, unlike the Americans and the Australians*, are those who haven't had the imagination to leave.

Yup uh huh, coz there are no places on Earth that have worse weather :rolleyes:
Reply 107
NDGAARONDI
There are other water supplies you know :tongue:

Ha yeah a friend of mine was trying to convince me that wales could be fully independant and live of exporting water, hehe!
Vladek
Ha yeah a friend of mine was trying to convince me that wales could be fully independant and live of exporting water, hehe!

Does s/he advocate Welsh independence?
Reply 109
NDGAARONDI

total dweeb :rolleyes:
Reply 110
NDGAARONDI

Not exactly, just trying to convince me it was economically viable to run a country on exporting water??
Vladek
Not exactly, just trying to convince me it was economically viable to run a country on exporting water??

Sounds stupid to me
Everdawn
See, there are VERY few people here now of that origin. The bulk of people came here during the 40-60's and they werent convicts.

And what im saying is I dont find it funny at all. To me its getting to the point where its like discrimination.

That is not discrimination. At worst it is a poor taste joke. Discrimination is saying "I'm not going to employ you, you might steal from me"

And Coss@ck - Kiwis have probably the best relations with the native population of any country in the world.

J
Everdawn
yeah, but cos, All im saying is that on here, I dont think its funny that people refer to me as a convict, or my country or countrymen. You all think its a big haha, but not I. You dont see me going around making jibes about other peoples nationalities, so I dont expect to cop that kind of crap every now and then. All im saying is have some consideration.

O come on, I have mates who are aussies and they don't care, they call me a pommy, and i don't care about that. Then again why should i - pommy is short for pomegranate which is meant to be cockney rhyming for immigrant.
Bizarre ey?
J
Well they are not me. All im saying is "Please dont reffer to me as a convict, my country or countrymen" and Ill stop moaning here. Thats all!

If you are going to refer to me as a convict, you may as well refer to the americans as slave drivers. After all we are talking round about 2 hundred years ago.
foolfarian
O come on, I have mates who are aussies and they don't care, they call me a pommy, and i don't care about that. Then again why should i - pommy is short for pomegranate which is meant to be cockney rhyming for immigrant.
Bizarre ey?
J

yes, but i have never referred to anyone on here as pommy, so shouldnt that courtesy be given also?
Reply 116
To put it simply - the grass is always greener on the other side :biggrin:
Reply 117
Everdawn
Well they are not me. All im saying is "Please dont reffer to me as a convict, my country or countrymen" and Ill stop moaning here. Thats all!

If you are going to refer to me as a convict, you may as well refer to the americans as slave drivers. After all we are talking round about 2 hundred years ago.

Do you prefer 'colonial'?

I'd try and lighten up. I sympathise with you, I can understand that it gets a bit annoying. It's the kind of joke that every unimaginative person makes, just like people always make the same pun about my name, or tell me that i'm really tall (oh yeh, cheers for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed). But I don't get worked up about it. I don't think they actually think that you are a convict. Set the record straight, if you like, but I wouldn't bother getting all sensitive about it - you're just letting it get to you, and you probably aren't go to impress them too much if you get all touchy. Anyway, what's so fantastically wrong with being called a convict?
sisyphus
English, Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish. They're all a pretty objectionable lot. You can't really like them, surely?

Good God dude...!

You have managed to offend everyone with that bullshite post!

I prefer to consider myself eastern Irish, though I could equally well be northern Irish. One thing I am definitely NOT is British.
Reply 119
polthegael
Good God dude...!

You have managed to offend everyone with that bullshite post!

I prefer to consider myself eastern Irish, though I could equally well be northern Irish. One thing I am definitely NOT is British.

I can understand the urge to deny it.

Latest

Trending

Trending