The Student Room Group

A-Level OCR Chemistry B (Salters) 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Historygcse
Any idea how to work out the mass of the magnesium though? Which concentration of HCl did you use lower or higher? Please reply! Thanks in advance!

Unless ive got it totally wrong it has to be lower. It asked for the minimum amount that reacted with all 5 concentrations of HCl. So if you used the higher, more magnesium would react with it than the lower concentrations, so you had to use lower. I.e a minimum of x g of Mg would react with the smallest number of moles of HCl, but a larger amount of Mg would react more concentrated solutions Of HCl

Hence you use the minimum amount :smile:
Original post by Rager6amer
Unless ive got it totally wrong it has to be lower. It asked for the minimum amount that reacted with all 5 concentrations of HCl. So if you used the higher, more magnesium would react with it than the lower concentrations, so you had to use lower. I.e a minimum of x g of Mg would react with the smallest number of moles of HCl, but a larger amount of Mg would react more concentrated solutions Of HCl

Hence you use the minimum amount :smile:

Lol! I cannot believe I misread it?!? I was almost certain that the question said maximum?!?!?
Original post by L0gical_2
I used the lowest conc of acid (0.1) as if you use greater concentrations then some of the Mg would remain unreacted at the lower concs? However, now I think about it, I think it can be read in 2 ways, as it could mean the maximum amount that reacts with the 0.5 conc. who knows, such an unspecific question

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't it be more likely for less magnesium to remain unreacted at higher concentrations of HCl as hcl is more "likely to be in excess" This doesn't really appeal
Lol! I cannot believe I misread it?!? I was almost certain that the question said maximum?!?!?

Sorry you are right it said maximum amount lol, but because it was the maximum amount for ALL 5 concs, its the same as asking what the minimum amount of Mg is that will react with HCl, and this would be the amount that reacts w/ 0.1 mol.
Original post by Rager6amer
Sorry you are right it said maximum amount lol, but because it was the maximum amount for ALL 5 concs, its the same as asking what the minimum amount of Mg is that will react with HCl, and this would be the amount that reacts w/ 0.1 mol.

Ah yh, a very ambiguous question though, not very clear at all. Also what's your prediction for a B in paper 3
Ah yh, a very ambiguous question though, not very clear at all. Also what's your prediction for a B in paper 3

Hmm difficult to say isn't it due to this being a new paper of a new course where there are no previous grade boundaries :P

I think the paper had lots of easy organic questions and some bits of the rates question will have been hard (including lots of confusion like you say over the max. mass of Mg reacted etc.) so I would say maybe about 37/38 out of 60 for a B?
-[0
Has anyone got the papers in pdf
Original post by R0naldo
Has anyone got the papers in pdf

I am also looking for the 2017 papers. Does anyone have them?
I've even created a separate thread for these papers. I guess not many people take salters..:s-smilie:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5252568&p=76656046#post76656046
How is everyone preparing for the final exam on the 20th?
Original post by callum cecil
How is everyone preparing for the final exam on the 20th?

I've done fk all for this exam.
Does anyone have the OCR B salters AS Chemistry practice papers set 1 and 2 because I would like to revise from them since the school won't print any for me? Thanks
Hey guys, could anyone help me with this question?

In an equilibrium reaction, why don't the forward and reverse reactions have equal activation enthalpies?

Thanks so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending