The Student Room Group

Vellacott history prize 2017 (peterhouse essay competition)

Any fellow year 12 TSRians competing this year??

Just finished my piece but kinda afraid to submit it in case I think of last minute alterations haha :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Anyone?
Submitting for English later today. I think my essay is alright but I'm not expecting a commendation to be honest with you.
Original post by Anannawoddwu
Submitting for English later today. I think my essay is alright but I'm not expecting a commendation to be honest with you.

Feel the same way with mine :redface: I mean, I am happy with my piece, but the competition is just so high.

Best of luck though x
Original post by howeverhence
Feel the same way with mine :redface: I mean, I am happy with my piece, but the competition is just so high.

Best of luck though x

You too! Out of curiosity, how many footnotes did you have if you don't mind me asking? For what it's worth, I only had a few. Just curious as to whether or not others have significantly more.
You too! Out of curiosity, how many footnotes did you have if you don't mind me asking? For what it's worth, I only had a few. Just curious as to whether or not others have significantly more.

I was thinking that as well. How many footnotes did you have? I had around 16 and was wondering if that was too little.

Also which questions did you all do?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fadinggigolo
I was thinking that as well. How many footnotes did you have? I had around 16 and was wondering if that was too little.

I think I have around 25. Still, I didn't use many sources, they were just referenced multiple times.
I think I have around 25. Still, I didn't use many sources, they were just referenced multiple times.

I just handed mine in right before the deadline. Nice to get the weight off my back.

Which question did you do? I did question 3.
I just handed mine in right before the deadline. Nice to get the weight off my back.

I was actually so close to choosing that one! :biggrin:

Went for question 33 instead - was a bit philosophical, but quite interesting to research nevertheless.
I was actually so close to choosing that one! :biggrin:

Went for question 33 instead - was a bit philosophical, but quite interesting to research nevertheless.

That's a good one, I don't know why but I didn't even consider it. It looks interesting now that I have reread it. How confident are you?
That's a good one, I don't know why but I didn't even consider it. It looks interesting now that I have reread it. How confident are you?

In all honesty I am a little pessimistic. If you take a look at previous winning/commended entries, the quality is insanely high!

But what's done is done, and I can definitely say I've learnt so much during the process of writing/researching this essay. So regardless of whether I win anything or don't, it has ultimately been worthwhile and valuable, and I am convincing myself to look at these positive aspects.

How are you feeling?
I did 3 as well! (for English)
In all honesty I am a little pessimistic. If you take a look at previous winning/commended entries, the quality is insanely high!

But what's done is done, and I can definitely say I've learnt so much during the process of writing/researching this essay. So regardless of whether I win anything or don't, it has ultimately been worthwhile and valuable, and I am convincing myself to look at these positive aspects.

How are you feeling?

I was not too pessimistic but from what you say about the standard, I'm getting less and less sure. By the way how can you tell the standard because of I've been looking everywhere for past winners or commended and wanted to see the kind of work that was highly regarded but couldn't find any.
I was not too pessimistic but from what you say about the standard, I'm getting less and less sure. By the way how can you tell the standard because of I've been looking everywhere for past winners or commended and wanted to see the kind of work that was highly regarded but couldn't find any.

Sometimes the schools of successful entries choose to publish them online.

http://www.kings-taunton.co.uk/assets/images/page/history/vellacott-35-thorne-m.pdf

http://www.kings-school.co.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/pupil_work/George_Palmer_Essay.pdf

I just found these now :smile: I think one of them was the winner and the other was HC
Sometimes the schools of successful entries choose to publish them online.

http://www.kings-taunton.co.uk/assets/images/page/history/vellacott-35-thorne-m.pdf

http://www.kings-school.co.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/pupil_work/George_Palmer_Essay.pdf

I just found these now :smile: I think one of them was the winner and the other was HC

I haven't finished reading this but WERE WE MEANT TO HAVE DOUBLE SPACING????
I haven't finished reading this but WERE WE MEANT TO HAVE DOUBLE SPACING????

Nah, the other entry I linked didn't use double spacing and they were highly commended!
Nah, the other entry I linked didn't use double spacing and they were highly commended!

Wow, the standard is really high...

Funnily enough, I prefer the one on Machiavelli to the one on Child Labour.
Wow, the standard is really high...

Funnily enough, I prefer the one on Machiavelli to the one on Child Labour.

At the end of the day, it's all pretty subjective :redface:
Reply 18
Just found this thread, nice to see I'm not the only one who entered this :smile:

I also did question 3, and handed it in right before the deadline funnily enough!
Hey guys has anybody heard anything back yet? The wait is killing me...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending