Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Reputation of Aston University?

Does it have a good reputation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Very good reputation. I would put it on par with other universities such as Queen Mary, Leicester, Royal holloway, Liverpool, KCL
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Spratty
Very good reputation. I would put it on par with other universities such as Queen Mary, Leicester, Royal holloway, Liverpool, KCL

<3
Original post by Aston University
<3

Why did Aston go down in rankings from 30th to 49th in CUG 2018 rankings?
Original post by shibucool
Why did Aston go down in rankings from 30th to 49th in CUG 2018 rankings?

Hi shibucool,

Our rankings dropped in CUG 2018, due to our staff student ratios. We are in the process of addressing this with a massive recruitment campaign. Rest assured we will have a number of new academic staff in place for the 2017/18 term and will quickly climb the rankings again.

We are making sure to recruit the very best to maintain our ranking in the Teaching Excellence Framework, which we are currently ranked 2nd in the UK for.

Hope that clears things up. Any questions, give me a shout.

Josh
Reply 5
The drop in rankings is very concerning. It was in the top 20 when I was a student there, but has since tumbled down the league tables.
Original post by VasDev
Does it have a good reputation?

don't just take the unis word for it that they will hire more people, if you told them dw i'm could have gotten 3As they would laugh in your face.

the reality is, they dropped in the rankings due to the reasons listed, why may that be? poor management?

who knows but either way you will be PAYING A PREMIUM to go to a uni so make sure you go to the right one and not fall to some promise a Representative has made on an online forum
Reply 7
Original post by Spratty

I wouldn't go that far. KCL's reputation is miles ahead of Aston.
Reply 8
Original post by AGBF
I wouldn't go that far. KCL's reputation is miles ahead of Aston.

You're right. KCL enjoys a reputation that is significantly higher than Aston's. However Aston is not far behind in how good the university is.

2017 CUG = KCL (21st) vs Aston (30th)
Reply 9
Original post by Spratty
You're right. KCL enjoys a reputation that is significantly higher than Aston's. However Aston is not far behind in how good the university is.

2017 CUG = KCL (21st) vs Aston (30th)

2018 CUG

KCL 21st
Aston 49
Original post by AGBF
2018 CUG

KCL 21st
Aston 49

Messaged Aston University from the lower than average rankings.
This is what I got.

"Hi Spratty,

Our rankings dropped in CUG 2018, due to our staff student ratios. We are in the process of addressing this with a massive recruitment campaign. Rest assured we will have a number of new academic staff in place for the 2017/18 term and will quickly climb the rankings again.

We are making sure to recruit the very best to maintain our ranking in the Teaching Excellence Framework, which we are currently ranked 2nd in the UK for.

Hope that clears things up. Any questions, give me a shout."
Reply 11
Original post by Spratty
Messaged Aston University from the lower than average rankings.
This is what I got.

"Hi Spratty,

Hope that clears things up. Any questions, give me a shout."

It doesn't matter really, KCL is miles ahead of Aston.

Not saying Aston is a bad uni, it isn;t, but KCL is miles ahead reputation wise(which is what the OP was asking)
Reply 12
I did hear that the Uni has been increasing its intake of students, which is probably good financially wise. I hope this does not results in its entry standards being lowered though. I had a great time at Aston, it's a fantastic uni and deserves a much higher ranking than the league tables suggest. But it needs to raise its standards back to what it was.
Reply 13
Original post by Alphado
I did hear that the Uni has been increasing its intake of students, which is probably good financially wise. I hope this does not results in its entry standards being lowered though. I had a great time at Aston, it's a fantastic uni and deserves a much higher ranking than the league tables suggest. But it needs to raise its standards back to what it was.

If you firm them , they lower your offer to BBB..... ........

KCL would not give offers out for BBB
Avoid going to Aston at all cost. When I was there is was top 20 and I am glad it has slumped down and don't believe this rubbish about how it is staff student ratio or how they will recruit top class lecturers. I studied there and I swear the lecturers did not have time for you. It is a university full of undercover racism. Most of the work is done in groups and if they put you in a group and your the only ethnic minority your contribution marks are getting duct. I am fortunate since leaving that hell I have attained 3 degrees including a Masters from Royal Holloway. I would definitely recommend Royal Holloway. The staff were so friendly and the students were all nice. The campus is beautiful. You will not regret it. Or go anywhere else. Avoid Aston at all cost.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AvoidAston
Avoid going to Aston at all cost. When I was there is was top 20 and I am glad it has slumped down and don't believe this rubbish about how it is staff student ratio or how they will recruit top class lecturers. I studied there and I swear the lecturers did not have time for you. It is a university full of undercover racism. Most of the work is done in groups and if they put you in a group and your the only ethnic minority your contribution marks are getting duct. I am fortunate since leaving that hell I have attained 3 degrees including a Masters from Royal Holloway. I would definitely recommend Royal Holloway. The staff were so friendly and the students were all nice. The campus is beautiful. You will not regret it. Or go anywhere else. Avoid Aston at all cost.

This is a total lie. I'm currently going to Aston University and I refute everything he's said. Seems like you're bitter about something that happened from your own experience.
Original post by Spratty
This is a total lie. I'm currently going to Aston University and I refute everything he's said. Seems like you're bitter about something that happened from your own experience.

I have studied at 3 universities and have friends from other universities around the country and have even worked at universities. You are some undergraduate who prob has left the nest for the first time.

I studied at Aston for 4 years and there was definitely undercover racism. It is everywhere in the workplace to day to day. You can bury your head in the sand and say it does not exist but it does and at Aston it is overlooked. Again avoid Aston university at all cost. It has slumped down the ranking. The campus is rubbish, it main building resembles a council block. The lecturers are honestly unhelpful.

As a new student we were given a person who we could use as our referee. I used his name as we were told too. Later he messaged me refusing to act as my referee as I had not emailed him before. I apologised and explained it was a genuine mistake at it was my first time using a referee. But he said it was un-excusable and no one else agreed to be my referee. Now had that happened at any other university I attended it would never have happened. I knew all my lecturers really well and had an actual relationship with the staff. Now some of you reading this may say it was my fault, and I agree but id rather avoid a university where one honest mistake can cost you.

Regarding the racism well you cant say I could have done anything to deserve it but It made me a stronger person and I now have 3 degrees including 2 postgraduate degrees, beautiful wife, well paying career, my own house in London, driving a brand new car so i'm not bitter but just don't want anyone else to have to go through what I did.

Even if one person reads this and decides to go elsewhere then I would feel my time typing this message was worthwhile.
I still think you're bitter about something that happened to you. I have minority friends at Aston and I have never heard anything from them. I'm sorry that has happened to you, maybe the campus has changed since.you attended. You having multiple degrees, cars, money etc isn't really a valid point. My brother, who also goes to aston hasn't ever complained of racism. Its stupid to say the least.
Reply 18
If being an ethnic minority at Aston University got your marks docked (as you claimed in this thread and others), 64% of the students would be failing.*

*Only 36% of Aston University students are white, data from the Student Equality Report, 2012/13.
I personally wouldnt apply. I did not like the campus is basically like a huge prison maze called "Main building" and lecturers are unresponsive to student requests and change the syllabus is changed without notice.

Anyone comparing it to KCL should seek help.

Its dropping in the rankings like a hot potato.

Quick Reply

Latest