The Student Room Group

When it comes to health care, which country does it best?

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/17/health/health-care-global-uk-national-health-system-eprise/

The UK spring budget for 2017 announced last week pledged £2 billion ($2.5 billion) toward adult social care over the next three years to "ease pressure on the NHS." £425 million ($525 million) was also announced to be invested in the NHS in the next three years. Experts like McKee and Eardley welcome the investment, but believe it will not be enough.

"The UK is not exceptional," McKee said, adding that other countries have similar levels of health care coverage using a tax-based system, including Finland, Sweden, Portugal and Spain. "The broad model of tax-based funding is common in quite a few countries."

A recent report from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (PDF) highlighted that, although access to care in the UK is good, the quality of care is uneven and continues to lag behind that of many other countries.

Experts in the UK are eager to stress the cost-efficiency of the National Health Service. According to the Royal College of General Practitioners, the UK pays the least per patient than most countries in the West.

..the separation of "health care" and "social care" is no longer acceptable and is what has led to the fragmentation of services in the UK.

"We need a debate asking, what do you want out of health care?" Kerr said.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EC
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/17/health/health-care-global-uk-national-health-system-eprise/

The UK spring budget for 2017 announced last week pledged £2 billion ($2.5 billion) toward adult social care over the next three years to "ease pressure on the NHS." £425 million ($525 million) was also announced to be invested in the NHS in the next three years. Experts like McKee and Eardley welcome the investment, but believe it will not be enough.

"The UK is not exceptional," McKee said, adding that other countries have similar levels of health care coverage using a tax-based system, including Finland, Sweden, Portugal and Spain. "The broad model of tax-based funding is common in quite a few countries."

A recent report from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (PDF) highlighted that, although access to care in the UK is good, the quality of care is uneven and continues to lag behind that of many other countries.

Experts in the UK are eager to stress the cost-efficiency of the National Health Service. According to the Royal College of General Practitioners, the UK pays the least per patient than most countries in the West.

..the separation of "health care" and "social care" is no longer acceptable and is what has led to the fragmentation of services in the UK.

Definitely not the United States of America! :lol:
It's nice to have new threads, but it seems a bit lazy to just paste a news article and leave everyone else to discuss it. What is your opinion, OP?

Having only experienced the British healthcare system, I don't really feel qualified to have an opinion. Heard good things about Germany and France though.
Reply 3
Original post by Snufkin
It's nice to have new threads, but it seems a bit lazy to just paste a news article and leave everyone else to discuss it. What is your opinion, OP?

Having only experienced the British healthcare system, I don't really feel qualified to have an opinion. Heard good things about Germany and France though.

How is it lazy? Others only post the link of the article. :lol:

This article is comparing the British National Healthcare Service (which I've never experienced) to other countries. People who live in the UK or another country mentioned in the article know more about the situation than I do obviously.
Original post by EC
How is it lazy? Others only post the link of the article. :lol:

This article is comparing the British National Healthcare Service (which I've never experienced) to other countries. People who live in the UK or another country mentioned in the article know more about the situation than I do obviously.

But that's what I mean, you live in Romania I believe, so it seems bizarre to be making a thread about a topic you can't even have an opinion on. Anyway, I know others do it too - the posting of random news articles seems to be de rigueur at the moment.
Reply 5
Original post by Snufkin
But that's what I mean, you live in Romania I believe, so it seems bizarre to be making a thread about a topic you can't even have an opinion on. Anyway, I know others do it too - the posting of random news articles seems to be de rigueur at the moment.

I'm going to be living in the UK soon so I don't think finding out what others think about these aspects is a crime. I thought this was the purpose of this site, to become more informed.

If you have a problem with my threads you can close them or whatever.
Original post by EC
I'm going to be living in the UK soon so I don't think finding out what others think about these aspects is a crime. I thought this was the purpose of this site, to become more informed.

If you have a problem with my threads you can close them or whatever.

I don't know why you're being defensive, I'm only expressing the view that it's a bit odd (and yes, imo a bit lazy) to post a thread in the debate section of the site and not give an opinion. Anyway, let's not derail your thread with an argument.
Reply 7
The problem with an NHS system is that there is no opt-out for people who do not wish to use or have any involvement with it. It's like paying for dentist check-ups every few months if you don't even attend a dentist. Secondly, everybody complains the NHS is under-funded. This isn't the case, it has a lot of funding. The problem with the NHS is the way that the organization is ran. I've never known an organisation to be so incredibly wasteful and inefficient. I know some businesses that deal with the NHS and often, the NHS does not chase up money that it is owed, orders things they don't always need etc. Not to mention, because GPs (for some years now) only work 9am-5pm and no weekends, a lot of people are stuck for treatment and end up going to hospital as they can't get a GP. Hence why Theresa May is looking to make GPs provide a more round-the-clock service, which is definitely a step in the right direction towards easing the strain on the NHS.

TL;DR The answer to solving the NHS "crisis" is not throwing more money down the drain, but rather making the health system as a whole much more efficient and resourceful. I'm not familiar with healthcare systems in other countries, but due to my points, the British healthcare system surely can't be the best.
Reply 8
every country i can think of does it equally trash
Reply 9
Original post by Snufkin
I don't know why you're being defensive, I'm only expressing the view that it's a bit odd (and yes, imo a bit lazy) to post a thread in the debate section of the site and not give an opinion. Anyway, let's not derail your thread with an argument.

Because you're always being rude to me, but have it your way. Oh and you call yours opinion? "Having only experienced the British healthcare system, I don't really feel qualified to have an opinion. Heard good things about Germany and France though."

If you don't think you're qualified to have one, considering you have experienced the NHS, then if I expressed mine, you would have been rude once again saying something like "you don't know anything about it anyway". :lol:
Reply 10
The Swiss I assume.
According to World Health Organisation (WHO), TOP 5 are: France, Italy, San Marino, Andorra and Malta. UK falls into TOP 20 and takes 18th place :mmm: My home country Lithuania gets 73rd place :rofl: But I guess it is only because a lot of good healthcare staff emigrated to other countries due to poor salaries :K:
Reply 12
Original post by ForgetMe
According to World Health Organisation (WHO), TOP 5 are: France, Italy, San Marino, Andorra and Malta. UK falls into TOP 20 and takes 18th place :mmm: My home country Lithuania gets 73rd place :rofl: But I guess it is only because a lot of good healthcare staff emigrated to other countries due to poor salaries :K:

Yeah, you're right, brilliant doctors leave Romania because their salary is a joke. Or students just go and find work somewhere else right after finishing their studies. It's a shame really, but I can't blame them.
I have had a glimpse into the French healthcare system a few times and it does seem rather good. I can get a doctor's appointment there faster than I can get one at home and they seem pretty efficient in handling prescriptions and operations. Also the hospital I visited was impeccably clean and modern, a far sight from the state of some of the NHS hospitals.

However I am not sure what issues they have like I do with the NHS.
Original post by EC

New Zealand has quite a good health care system in place IMO.
Reply 15
Original post by Willy Pete
I have had a glimpse into the French healthcare system a few times and it does seem rather good. I can get a doctor's appointment there faster than I can get one at home and they seem pretty efficient in handling prescriptions and operations. Also the hospital I visited was impeccably clean and modern, a far sight from the state of some of the NHS hospitals.

However I am not sure what issues they have like I do with the NHS.

How much did you usually have to wait for a doctor's appointment in the UK?

There have been a lot of cases in my city with people who caught infections from the hospital because it's not as clean as it should be.
Original post by EC
How much did you usually have to wait for a doctor's appointment in the UK?

There have been a lot of cases in my city with people who caught infections from the hospital because it's not as clean as it should be.

Sometimes you can be waiting weeks, even emergency appointments can take a couple of days in busier parts of the country.

Same problem in the NHS, the MRSA "super virus" which made the headlines a few years back.
Well, there is a reason nobody else uses a model like the NHS and why the only way to get the NHS anywhere near the top of the rankings is to completely ignore the medicine and the results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hate to say it but US healthcare is amazing, yes it's expensive (even with co-pay) but you can get what you want, when you want and if you need emergency surgery you're not waiting as long as you have to with current NHS wait times. I love the NHS but sometimes, going private and paying extra is worth it.
Original post by PandaSal
I hate to say it but US healthcare is amazing, yes it's expensive (even with co-pay) but you can get what you want, when you want and if you need emergency surgery you're not waiting as long as you have to with current NHS wait times. I love the NHS but sometimes, going private and paying extra is worth it.

I'm yet to meet anybody who has used private medical insurance in the UK and said it was a waste. Even if the treatment and care were no better the waiting lists are a lot shorter, things seem to be more according to your convenience rather than simply when there is time, and you feel more like you are the one important person rather than just another guy passing through. Of course part of that will come from the nature of the services, say being an inpatient rather than visiting A&E.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending