The Student Room Group

Uses of ATP - biological molecules revision

I'm doing a biology revision summary sheet for biological molecules and one of the boxes asks for uses of ATP obviously there's active transport but I can't think of any off the top of my head at the moment 😰
Original post by Sparky2016
I'm doing a biology revision summary sheet for biological molecules and one of the boxes asks for uses of ATP obviously there's active transport but I can't think of any off the top of my head at the moment 😰

Phosphorylation of glucose to 2 GALP in aerobic respiration. Photophosphorylation in photosynthesis GALP -> GP. Hydrolysis of ATP to provide energy in cells for metabolic reactions, heat generation and movement. Binding to myosin so that it moves, making actin slide towards the centre of sarcomere, hence muscle contraction; followed by the hydrolysis of said ATP to 'reset' the position of myosin head. Providing energy for organelle synthesis during S1 phase of cell division.
These are the ones I could name atop my head, at least.
@Sparky2016

Hi,

1. You could add more detail to active transport with MECHANISM + examples

a) Na+,K+ ATPase leading to exchange of 2 sodium ions for 3 potassium ions e.g. in proximal convoluted tubule in kidney (adrenocorticosteroids [mineralocorticoids] promote the conservation of sodium via the renin-aldosterone-angiotensin axis)

b) Transport of neurotransmitter from cell body of neurone to synaptic knob to be stored in vesicles e.g. ACh (acetylcholine) as stimulatory neurotransmitter in spherical vesicles; GABA (gamma- amino butyric acid) as inhibitory neurotransmitter in elongated vesicles.

2. SYNTHESIS of secretory material e.g. pancreatic beta cells (endocrine) in Islets of Langerhans have numerous large mitochondria (AND btw, well-developed Golgi) to produce and secrete insulin; exocrine cells similar in structure to secrete pacreatic amylase and trypsinogen.
e.g. hepatic cells for synthesis of proteins e.g. clotting factors
e.g. plasma cells (derived from B lymphocytes) to secrete antibodies (gamma-globulins)

3. LOCOMOTION: Spermatozoa need ATP in order to "wag their tails" (oscillate their flagella) in order to swim through the hostile vaginal fluid to reach ovum = for reproduction.

4. Dark reaction of photosynthesis needs ATP in order to split water to release O2 and electrons, and then convert this energy (originally captured from sunlight by chlorophyll in the grana during light reaction) to build glucose.

M (biology tutor)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sparky2016

Well there's two, one for ATP hydrolysis being use to release energy for energy requiring reactions - there's millions.

the second is the inorganic phosphate from hydrolysis of ATP (ADP + pi), is used to add to other compounds, usually to make them more reactive, this is called phosphorylation :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest