The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Single sex Keele acccommodation

Hi guys, I have an offer to study medicine in Keele, and attended the March offer holders day. When they showed us the accommodation (just Lindsey) I was pretty underwhelmed with the options. The only single sex accommodations they offer have a shared kitchen, however i'd prefer that to be single sex too. I know private accommodation is an option, but they seem to be kind of far- I want to be as close to the campus as possible.

Has anyone else previously been in/ currently have this problem? If so, do you have any solutions?
Reply 1
Hi I am also a grad student with an offer for medicine and feel the same way as you. However when applying for accommodation I picked the Barnes premiere flat because it has an ensuite however the kitchen is shared. I looked at private accommodation but I feel like it's easier being close to the Med school.

Original post by ChocoBons
Hi guys, I have an offer to study medicine in Keele, and attended the March offer holders day. When they showed us the accommodation (just Lindsey) I was pretty underwhelmed with the options. The only single sex accommodations they offer have a shared kitchen, however i'd prefer that to be single sex too. I know private accommodation is an option, but they seem to be kind of far- I want to be as close to the campus as possible.

Has anyone else previously been in/ currently have this problem? If so, do you have any solutions?
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
Original post by Hss17
Hi I am also a grad student with an offer for medicine and feel the same way as you. However when applying for accommodation I picked the Barnes premiere flat because it has an ensuite however the kitchen is shared. I looked at private accommodation but I feel like it's easier being close to the Med school.

If you don't mind me asking, how many people share the kitchen? and how much does it cost? I was just looking at Keele's accommodation page and they offer flats of 4 in Barnes, I think it has a shared bathroom though. I think if I could find 3 other girls who only want to live with girls, I may possibly go for that.
Reply 3
You share a kitchen with 6 but get your own bathroom and toilet. I can't quite remember the price, think it was around the 5000 mark.

If you don't mind me asking, how many people share the kitchen? and how much does it cost? I was just looking at Keele's accommodation page and they offer flats of 4 in Barnes, I think it has a shared bathroom though. I think if I could find 3 other girls who only want to live with girls, I may possibly go for that.
Reply 4

Why do you want it to be single sex accom, out of interest?

In Lindsay Court I shared a kitchen with 7 other boys, although that was just by chance and it wasn't single sex accom. It was OK but I prefer a mix like I have now in Holly Cross and will have when I'm living off campus next year. I know some girls in single sex accom although they hate it and find it very b*tchy!
Reply 5
Hi everyone! :-)

I'm going to Keele in September to study Criminology and I'm struggling a little bit to find the right accomodation for me.

I would like an en-suite room, but for 43 weeks, if possible.
Does anyone know which halls of residence/room type I should be applying for? I've tried to find out on the Keele website but I'm a little confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Alex
Have you thought about off campus? I will have a vacant room with 3 other girls in a house directly across the road from campus, no need to attempt the Keele Hill! Plenty of free parking and quiet to study?
Reply 7
Thanks but i imagine that you're looking to share the house with another girl right? I'm a boy! xD
Original post by suewhiteleak
Have you thought about off campus? I will have a vacant room with 3 other girls in a house directly across the road from campus, no need to attempt the Keele Hill! Plenty of free parking and quiet to study?

exactly the same got an offer for med too and would like single sex accommodation. I dont know if i could survive with a shared bathroom though!
hi there is a new Barnes which ensuit rooms which is an upgrade from the old shared washbasins rooms, which is almost done. email me if you want more information about it. Also seeing as you want to be on compass, Barnes is right across the sports center, chancellors building and right by the SU :smile:
Keele's downfall is unfortunately its accommodation! I didn't want to be in single-sex dorms but for some reason you'll more than likely find yourself on a single-sex floor in a mixed block - so you'll very rarely interact with the other sex.

Hopefully the new accommodation blocks by Barnes (closest to the medical centre) will be of a higher standard than the other blocks because they're very grim I can't lie. I lived in Lindsay (T block) for my foundation degree at Keele and the room was of a decent size - I selected a room with a wash basin for makeup purposes. The kitchen was shared between approximately 16 other students which is honestly ridiculous and there is no communal area within the block itself, you have to go to the common room if you want somewhere to chill with housemates. I actually think they're knocking down the Lindsay common room too eventually to replace with a new block - so that's pretty redundant.

The best accommodation on campus currently is Lindsay Court which feature en suites but are of course at a premium price which your student finance doesn't always cover. If you are able to get financial support from your parents/carers then that's perfect but for the majority of students it is just completely unrealistic.

As I say though, I have high hopes for the new Barnes development. They've invested a lot into this new accommodation as Keele always scores badly on this aspect of the student experience. I recommend living on campus for your first year if you can score a place, because no matter how gross and small the rooms may be - it's nothing when combined with the experience you will have as a fresher by being right there on campus where everything is happening. Being exposed to true poverty while shacked up in their prison-bunk style rooms is an invaluable piece of student life that I think everyone should try once in their life.

Quick Reply

Latest