The Student Room Group

Is it weird to be 23 and single?

I'm a 23 year old female and I'm single. Honestly, I don't even really desire a relationship right now. All of my friends are hitting they 2 to 3 year marks in their respective relationships though and it makes me feel a bit weird. Especially because I'm still technically a virgin. (I say technically because I've done other sex acts like mutual masturbation, handjobs etc. I've just been waiting for the right person to go all the way with.)

I mean, I've dated guys and was even in a relationship for 11 months last year. I was going to have sex with him, but then he ended up breaking my trust and I lost all attraction. It was kind of frustrating because I was convinced that I'd be with this guy for years but I just couldn't continue that relationship after everything.

Anyway, now I've been single again for like a month or so and I've been casually texting different guys on Hinge and Bumble but I just...don't feel like I want anything more than a casual 'drink and hook up every few weeks' sort of deal. The idea of a serious long term relationship is so daunting to me, especially after my break up. I've almost just given up completely on being in a relationship. Legitimately considering just getting a sperm donor when I'm like 35 and am ready to have kids.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Or am I just jaded because I just got out of a really intense relationship?
Reply 1
You're 23. Go explore whatever you want from guys/girls/trans and at 35 if you want a sperm donor then by all means!

I know a gay guy that won't admit he's gay who has two kids from an IVF clinic in California where he "bought" eggs that they fertlized with his sperm and then had the embryoes implanted into a surrogate womb (twice!). So you see everything is fair game 😀.
Honestly, the huge stigmatism on 'virginity' does not mark you as a person, or alter your personal values. It doesn't make you a lesser person. You need to focus on yourself, and you only. Having sex will not change you, nor would anyone know if you have or you haven't. It's not anything you will ever have to tell anyone, for anyone to make judgement upon you. Just continue being you.
It's not weird at all.
Plenty of people in their 20s, 30s and 40s are only interested in ons or casual sex arrangements.
Some people have no interest in sex, dating, having children or romantic relationships.
They prefer to focus on their careers or favourite hobbies.

Many people are not monogomous and never want the commitment of a long term partner or any sexual exclusivity.
My late uncle was into the no strings lifestyle and had no time for commitment or monogomy.
He had a lot of fun and thousands of casual sex partners, never regretted choosing not to have a relationship.

I'm 29, happy single and stopped dating in my early 20s.
I have ruled out marriage and will never live with another adult again.
I will be going down the egg freezing and ivf coparenting route.
Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm a 23 year old female and I'm single. Honestly, I don't even really desire a relationship right now. All of my friends are hitting they 2 to 3 year marks in their respective relationships though and it makes me feel a bit weird. Especially because I'm still technically a virgin. (I say technically because I've done other sex acts like mutual masturbation, handjobs etc. I've just been waiting for the right person to go all the way with.)

I mean, I've dated guys and was even in a relationship for 11 months last year. I was going to have sex with him, but then he ended up breaking my trust and I lost all attraction. It was kind of frustrating because I was convinced that I'd be with this guy for years but I just couldn't continue that relationship after everything.

Anyway, now I've been single again for like a month or so and I've been casually texting different guys on Hinge and Bumble but I just...don't feel like I want anything more than a casual 'drink and hook up every few weeks' sort of deal. The idea of a serious long term relationship is so daunting to me, especially after my break up. I've almost just given up completely on being in a relationship. Legitimately considering just getting a sperm donor when I'm like 35 and am ready to have kids.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Or am I just jaded because I just got out of a really intense relationship?
From what I've witnessed and experienced to some extent in my life, I would say it's not bizarre to lose the desire for a new relationship if you've had a heartbreak very recently. Remember we eat only when we have the hunger. Otherwise, you know.

Sorry to hear that your previous relationship didn't work out.

I personally believe you need to give yourself some time to figure out what you actually want like casual dating or something long-term. So, give it a go if you feel.

I'm single too though I'm male and I have a feeling similar to yours after a heartbreak. All I know is that this moment won't last long and I'm just trying to soak it up until I meet a better person than the previous one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending