The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Single-sex Accommodation??

Hii
I have an offer from Sheffield that I still haven't firmed but I was wondering if Sheffield offers single-sex accom and if its available ensuite. Also, if I wait until my exams are over to apply is there a possibility that it will be taken up before I get a chance?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hii
I have an offer from Sheffield that I still haven't firmed but I was wondering if Sheffield offers single-sex accom and if its available ensuite. Also, if I wait until my exams are over to apply is there a possibility that it will be taken up before I get a chance?

TL;DR: yes, single sex accom is always available, with en suite (though en suite isn't guaranteed). To be guaranteed a room though you need to have Sheffield as your firm choice, but if you do it's fine to wait for exams :smile:

To quote from their website, they
'Offer all students mixed gender accommodation with those wishing to be in single sex flats having the option to select this at the time of application. There is no guarantee that mixed gender accommodation will be available and if not then the student will be allocated to single sex'.

So you have the option to select single sex, and if there's not enough mixed gender rooms you have to have a single sex: so single sex accommodation is always available, no matter what, it's mixed that's in short supply. These are available en-suite, and you can wait until exams - however note that in order to be guaranteed accommodation it must be your firm (first) choice in UCAS. If this is met, single sex is guaranteed if you want It.

Hope that helps! Congratulations on your offer and best of luck. :biggrin:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Thank you so much!! :smile: Do you recommend any particular accommodation ? I quite like City because of its proximity to the campus but I heard it can be boring
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much!! :smile: Do you recommend any particular accommodation ? I quite like City because of its proximity to the campus but I heard it can be boring

No problem! I'm afraid I can't offer any personal advice, but I'd say it depends on you. I would say if you get accommodation somewhere like Ranmoor it would require some public travel on occasion as it's a 40 minute walk to the main university (I think), which can be expensive but the alternative is time consuming. Don't let that dissuade you though as there's always cycling and such.

I'd say both have their benefits, I believe Allen Court would be considered the nicest and 'modern-est' accommodation, then St Vincent's, but obviously that does come with a price. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are both relatively modern-styled, so might be nice for that, but again there's a longer trek to the main city which might discourage it for you if you're interested in the city life and such.

At the same time, if you live at Ranmoor, for example, you're more in the suburbs so it would be quieter than city-Sheffield, and might feel more homely if you're not used to the city. If you like nature, too, I think it's a 25 minute bike ride to the Peak District, if you want to get out for a bit.

Bear in mind these are just my thoughts and I can only offer my experience from my little time in Sheffield, but hopefully that's of some service :smile:. It might be worth posting something new in the University of Sheffield Forum to get the attention of some students or some reps?

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by {Moss}
No problem! I'm afraid I can't offer any personal advice, but I'd say it depends on you. I would say if you get accommodation somewhere like Ranmoor it would require some public travel on occasion as it's a 40 minute walk to the main university (I think), which can be expensive but the alternative is time consuming. Don't let that dissuade you though as there's always cycling and such.

I'd say both have their benefits, I believe Allen Court would be considered the nicest and 'modern-est' accommodation, then St Vincent's, but obviously that does come with a price. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are both relatively modern-styled, so might be nice for that, but again there's a longer trek to the main city which might discourage it for you if you're interested in the city life and such.

At the same time, if you live at Ranmoor, for example, you're more in the suburbs so it would be quieter than city-Sheffield, and might feel more homely if you're not used to the city. If you like nature, too, I think it's a 25 minute bike ride to the Peak District, if you want to get out for a bit.

Bear in mind these are just my thoughts and I can only offer my experience from my little time in Sheffield, but hopefully that's of some service :smile:. It might be worth posting something new in the University of Sheffield Forum to get the attention of some students or some reps?

Good luck!

Thank you so much! I'll definitely take this into consideration

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending