The Student Room Group

A-level law exam!

I'm in Year 12 studying Law, Psychology and Health & Social Care, I love Psychology and H&SC but I hate doing Law. It's too late to drop the subject & I've being trying to revise for the exam in May but none of what I'm revising in sinking in, I struggle with practice questions & the ones I do I always get a low mark/grade that isn't close to a pass. I'm really panicking for the actual exam because I know I'm going to fail, I can't find the motivation to revise for it (or for my other subjects either), I've being Googling & trying different techniques but they're not helping! I'm at the point now where I'm wondering if I shouldn't bother with Law revision at all & just concentrate on the two subjects I want to pass because I don't want to fail them as well with being too focused on something I know I'm going to fail. Any advice from someone who's been in a similar situation?:/
Original post by xFFDPx
I'm in Year 12 studying Law, Psychology and Health & Social Care, I love Psychology and H&SC but I hate doing Law. It's too late to drop the subject & I've being trying to revise for the exam in May but none of what I'm revising in sinking in, I struggle with practice questions & the ones I do I always get a low mark/grade that isn't close to a pass. I'm really panicking for the actual exam because I know I'm going to fail, I can't find the motivation to revise for it (or for my other subjects either), I've being Googling & trying different techniques but they're not helping! I'm at the point now where I'm wondering if I shouldn't bother with Law revision at all & just concentrate on the two subjects I want to pass because I don't want to fail them as well with being too focused on something I know I'm going to fail. Any advice from someone who's been in a similar situation?:/

Get a decent revision book and make sure you spend 30-50% of your time allotted for law doing practice questions.. Do one in the morning and one in the evening.

Thinking about failing doesnt help. is common to panic. You need to keep your nerve and work hard. If its linear then this years exams wont count for much?
Reply 2
What board are you doing?
Reply 3
Original post by new1234
What board are you doing?

OCR
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Get a decent revision book and make sure you spend 30-50% of your time allotted for law doing practice questions.. Do one in the morning and one in the evening.

Thinking about failing doesnt help. is common to panic. You need to keep your nerve and work hard. If its linear then this years exams wont count for much?

If I failed this exam, I wouldn't be able to re-take it in Year 13 because it'll be a new specification so I'll have to re-take this whole year again on completely different topics.
Reply 5
Original post by xFFDPx
OCR

I'm doing AQA otherwise I would send you my revision notes! I dont know if the boards are similar but I am literally memorising everything! Then I practice the relevant questions after I have revised that section. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
Original post by xFFDPx
If I failed this exam, I wouldn't be able to re-take it in Year 13 because it'll be a new specification so I'll have to re-take this whole year again on completely different topics.

So its AS? Just get a decent revision book and organise yourself.
Reply 7
Original post by new1234
I'm doing AQA otherwise I would send you my revision notes! I dont know if the boards are similar but I am literally memorising everything! Then I practice the relevant questions after I have revised that section. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

I've been making flash cards on each section but there's still a lot of sections that I've not done yet but to re-write everything out & condense it takes a lot of time so I don't know if I'm wasting time or what:/
I'll try doing that though, revising a section then doing practice questions, thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by xFFDPx
I've been making flash cards on each section but there's still a lot of sections that I've not done yet but to re-write everything out & condense it takes a lot of time so I don't know if I'm wasting time or what:/
I'll try doing that though, revising a section then doing practice questions, thank you!

No worries! If you need any help on some sections send me a message since exam boards tend to overlap (I did it for GCSE too) so I might have studied similar content to you.

It might take a long time but I dont think you should not revise for it at all! Obviously don't neglect your other subjects but spend 1-2 hours each day throughout this final week of Easter and I'm sure you'll feel much more confident by the end!

P.S I use a whiteboard most of the time to memorise things so maybe try doing that instead of re-writing notes!

Quick Reply

Latest