The Student Room Group

Teachers need training to help deal with geniuses

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Patryk_
Did you get an offer? No. Therefore you failed to get in.

I have not applied yet. so I have not failed to get in anywhere.

However should I apply and be rejected that is not a definitive reflection of my ability or intelligence. If they used a super computer which can scan your genetics and brain waves and determine the best candidates with 100% accuracy I would take it as a personal failure of my worth should I fail to get into universities.

However when the admissions process at every single university is handled by flawed humans making judgement with little information I will not let negative decision define me.
Thought this was gonna be an interesting discussion about one of the aspects of the grammar school debate. Turns out it's just an obnoxious guy whining, thank you TSR.
Reply 62
Original post by Luke7456
I have not applied yet. so I have not failed to get in anywhere.

However should I apply and be rejected that is not a definitive reflection of my ability or intelligence. If they used a super computer which can scan your genetics and brain waves and determine the best candidates with 100% accuracy I would take it as a personal failure of my worth should I fail to get into universities.

However when the admissions process at every single university is handled by flawed humans making judgement with little information I will not let negative decision define me.

How obnoxious do you have to be, to assume the only reason you didn't get in is the a mistake made by people who in all likelihood are smarter than you.
You get an A* in trolling from me...I can't believe how many people fell for this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Patryk_
How obnoxious do you have to be, to assume the only reason you didn't get in is the a mistake made by people who in all likelihood are smarter than you.

well hold on that is not quite fair is it. I mean I am autistic so I do not interview well and I can be nervous on the day or rub people the wrong way, a failure at interview or because a reference/personal statement was not as strong as others does not necessarily reflect my ability in Mathematics.

Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team he went on to be the greatest athlete of all time.

Admissions tutors are not flawless psychic gods and the admissions process is not fool proof. I just refuse to take the attitude that one persons judgement about me at any point in time defines my ability and capacity.

are you saying if I get rejected from a job I should just assume they knew more then me and that I am not worthy of these kind of jobs? If I get rejected by a girl should I assume I am an unworthy mate?

I have had a lot of people judge me negatively in life due to my autism and at one point was literally written off for the scrap heap predicted to end up in a home for the mentally handicapped.

That was an expert psychologist am I wrong to assume I know more then him about my abilities?

I will let my results and efforts define me.

I will not let anyone's judgement of me define me.

and quite frankly if you think that makes obnoxious then quite frankly pardon my french but I don't give a :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:.
Reply 65
well hold on that is not quite fair is it. I mean I am autistic so I do not interview well and I can be nervous on the day or rub people the wrong way, a failure at interview or because a reference/personal statement was not as strong as others does not necessarily reflect my ability in Mathematics.

Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team he went on to be the greatest athlete of all time.

Admissions tutors are not flawless psychic gods and the admissions process is not fool proof. I just refuse to take the attitude that one persons judgement about me at any point in time defines my ability and capacity.

are you saying if I get rejected from a job I should just assume they knew more then me and that I am not worthy of these kind of jobs? If I get rejected by a girl should I assume I am an unworthy mate?

I have had a lot of people judge me negatively in life due to my autism and at one point was literally written off for the scrap heap predicted to end up in a home for the mentally handicapped.

That was an expert psychologist am I wrong to assume I know more then him about my abilities?

I will let my results and efforts define me.

I will not let anyone's judgement of me define me.

and quite frankly if you think that makes obnoxious then quite frankly pardon my french but I don't give a :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:.

You don't need to be a people person to do well in a Cambridge maths interview, they just have you do maths questions.
Get a life, Kyx.
Original post by Faloodeh
ok

Your avatar and this comment worked so well together.
I don't know why, but they just did.
:rofl:
Original post by Patryk_
You don't need to be a people person to do well in a Cambridge maths interview, they just have you do maths questions.

pretty sure that people skills will come into it, I mean okay sure I doubt they are rating you out of ten for been friendly or having a nice smile but people are always biased consciously or subconsciously based on whether they liked or did not like the person. Plus I am sure some people get rejected despite having decent grades without getting the interview anyway.

However even if it is just a Math Test on the day and I get that chance anyone can have a poor performance on the day. I don't see how it makes me an obnoxious person just because I will always refuse to let setbacks define me.
Original post by SassKing13
Your avatar and this comment worked so well together.
I don't know why, but they just did.

Why thank you kind sir:h:

Spoiler

Why thank you kind sir:h:

Spoiler

The emoji in your spoiler didn't show up. I can't tell you how disappointed I am.
Original post by SassKing13
The emoji in your spoiler didn't show up. I can't tell you how disappointed I am.

Sorry to disappoint, it was just pingu :laugh:

Spoiler

Reply 72
um no I have not applied yet so I never failed to get in. secondly I have not sat the relevant exams yet so I have not failed to get the results. third been rejected does not proof that I am of a lower caliber or insufficient quality to be able to cope or be able to easily cope. The admissions tutors are not flawless gods and whilst the admissions system should in general favor the better candidates this will not always be the case.

my point was not that they should design the whole education system around such a marginal group but rather that there should be opportunities for those that are more capable to do more then those whom are not. Instead of everyone been limited to only one degree at a time and been told that all degrees are equal.

based on my experience of the education system so far I am not under the impression that challenging education is available hopefully I will find a course that is challenging enough.

I never failed to get into any university, and getting rejected is not what i consider a failure, failing to get the grades to meet an offer is Which I have never done.

Ah perhaps I misinterpreted what you were writing, apologies in that case.

However, I think what sets people apart who are in fact quite clever is that they are people who make opportunities for themselves. There is nothing stopping you from learning a new language in your free time or learning a coding language, or reading up on and mastering maths techniques. Although the educational system isn't able to fully support certain students I think it's a little naive to assume that such an amount of spoon feeding will be readily available in state schools.
Sorry to disappoint, it was just pingu :laugh:

Spoiler

Original post by HMarles
Ah perhaps I misinterpreted what you were writing, apologies in that case.

However, I think what sets people apart who are in fact quite clever is that they are people who make opportunities for themselves. There is nothing stopping you from learning a new language in your free time or learning a coding language, or reading up on and mastering maths techniques. Although the educational system isn't able to fully support certain students I think it's a little naive to assume that such an amount of spoon feeding will be readily available in state schools.

Well I think that is always a valid point, but it does miss a few significant points on the way. Firstly there is the fact that you want evidence sure I could in theory self teach myself Mathematics or coding but without a certificate why would any employer take me? They would not just take my word for it. People cannot really know what you can and cannot do and what your capabilities are without the evidence and the amount of effort it would take to test you properly etc would cost to much that is a large part of the value of what we pay to do a degree.
There is also the issue of not knowing what you do not know. There are things that may well be essential to Statistics Mathematics or coding which I may not realise or essential to know for what I want to do which I also may not know about. However the people that design the courses have the experience and knowledge to know this to structure a specif program for people to learn from.
We then also have standards eg I can read a maths book and convince myself that I understand it, and to some extent I probably do etc but until I face hard exams and have to adapt the concepts to difficult assessments I am not been tested or pushed to get me to the next level it is through academic feedback and facing those challenges that we grow.Also if i do get stuck etc tutoring will be difficult and expensive if I look for it independently. This is what the advantages of a degree offer over self teaching.

Now What I am saying is if I wanted and was able to do a degree from the open university and also able to do a degree from Adren university at the same time as my campus degree assuming I was able to do that i should be allowed to. Is this realistic? maybe not for my last degree I could definitely have done at least four times that in the time. However I went to a mediocre sub standard poly Technic. I may well find that going to a top prestigious university is a totally different experience and I struggle with the workload just so far with university i have been underwhelmed by the challenge. The Great thing about the Open university though is that you can do work at your own time so If I tried to do two degrees at once one with the open university and I found I was struggling with the work load for my campus degree then I can either completely abandon the open university or just do a few credits or do it over the summer.

You know what Maybe I am not smart enough to do that, or maybe I am who knows. However I can be certain there will be some individuals who are smart enough and they should be able to.
Original post by Kyx
Seriously, I have an IQ of over 160

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yet IQ means jack **** on your intelligence.
Reply 76
Original post by That'sGreat
Yet IQ means jack **** on your intelligence.

Still. It's nice to have a big one :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx
Still. It's nice to have a big one :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol
You get 1 A at gcse fail AS level maths and biology and drop out of AS chemistry :colonhash:

Genius my Ass! :lol: :toofunny: :toofunny:
Reply 79
I don't get why people are so obsessed with IQ and Intelligence. It's badly defined by Psychologists and there isn't a concrete definition of it. If intelligence is so fixed, then how can people improve at subjects like Maths, Chemistry and Physics just by practicing questions? STEM subjects are just skills that can improved upon very easily by practicing.

The whole concept of 'intelligence' seems totally vague, it's like a modern-day version of 'Phlogiston theory' which attempted to explain why things burned. It was qualitative and there were loads of problems with it. This was before the scientific revolution and Chemistry came into being.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlogiston_theory

What is concrete is that people can get As and A*s by actually doing some work. ''All A*s by doing revision the night before'' is a common myth used by people who enjoy stroking their own egos.

A*s won't come by sitting on your backside and relying on your brain to somehow magically 'know' the material already. Many 'child geniuses' have been taught/pushed by their parents from an early age to read and study subjects in their spare time. They have to obtain the knowledge someway or another. You don't need 'intelligence' to work that out.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending