The Student Room Group

Ideas for presentation on current issues in education

Hi guys,
I have to do a presentation for a primary interview on any current issue in education, does anyone have any ideas?
I am struggling to pick something that hasn't already been done a million times and is really relevant at the moment (aside from Coronavirus!)

Lack of creative encouragement. Our culture is majorly influenced by music, art, ect but it isn't encouraged
Original post by BEllenK
Hi guys,
I have to do a presentation for a primary interview on any current issue in education, does anyone have any ideas?
I am struggling to pick something that hasn't already been done a million times and is really relevant at the moment (aside from Coronavirus!)

Hello @BEllenK

There are some good ideas here. Do make sure you are aware of the implications that Covid has made on schools and pedagogy though, as you maybe asked your opinion on that and to have done some background reading isn't a bad call. Also, be familiar with safeguarding policies as that is refereed to frequently at interview.

For help with the preparation for your interview, please get yourself a teacher training adviser by completing the registration here and we'll call you or please call us on Freephone 0800 389 2500 between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Wishing you all the very best in your interview!

Jane
Parental involvement
Lack of teamwork
Reduced games in school
Quality of education
Teacher reputation
Lack of resources
Poverty
Money
Homework
Bad behaviour
Growth mindset
Religion
Crime rates
Location of school in question
Parent surveys
Success of pupils in general
Teacher training, teaching techniques etc
Illness or disability experience
Other information on the school
Number of kids in the class
After school clubs and opportunities for progression
Original post by BEllenK
Hi guys,

The current issue in education is Covid which has massively shown up the gap between the top and bottom. Students have missed out on 6 months of contact time and are now being nobbled by having to isolate if people or students they know test positive.

So:
- how do you level an ever increasing gap?
- how do you protect the mental health of kids going through tough times at home?
- how do you make resilient those kids who are in school but are scared?
- how do you provide a blended learning for those in school but also those isolating at home?
- how do you manage and encourage a nervous staff many of whom are over worked and now have to take on additional duties in the form of setting work for kids at home?
Thank you for sharing this information and your experience!
Original post by BEllenK
Hi guys,

The only ideas I have really is the overemphasis on examinations in GCSE/A Level (The fact you could do well the entire year and fumble on one test then all of that goes down the drain). It also puts a lot of stress on pupils. You could also talk about grade inflation/the issue of applicant diffinciation at A levels. Maybe mention the flaws of predicted grades at A Level as there's quite a lot of evidence pointing to them being inaccurate. Or flaws in the UCAS application system.

A primary school flaw could be the overemphasis on English and Maths subjects which often leaves other subjects abandoned - an example is PE when a teacher told me that primary school teachers are only given 1 evening of training to teach PE which leads to PE classes being lackluster and ineffective for kids. An argument could be that the government is trying to implement healthy school lunches so should also try to enchorage more PE in order to motivate kids to excerise more and have a healthy lifestyle. Obesity is already a massive problem so that could be mentioned too.
Reply 7
Current issues in teaching:
- teacher pay and imminent strikes. Should we strike for a better deal? Do teachers have a reasonable work / life balance?
- if you want something a bit more educationally, Ofsted's latest fad is about curriculum mapping, the idea of a curriculum for life and a bigger picture. Is there room for this in an already crowded curriculum especially when schools are ultimately judged on results, not a philosophical idea of the rounded student.

Over to you now! Good luck.
Original post by JustAnotherFloop
The only ideas I have really is the overemphasis on examinations in GCSE/A Level (The fact you could do well the entire year and fumble on one test then all of that goes down the drain). It also puts a lot of stress on pupils. You could also talk about grade inflation/the issue of applicant diffinciation at A levels. Maybe mention the flaws of predicted grades at A Level as there's quite a lot of evidence pointing to them being inaccurate. Or flaws in the UCAS application system.

Well, I think physical education has always been like that. This is not something new. A primary school flaw could be the overemphasis on English and Maths subjects which often leaves other subjects abandoned - an example is PE when a teacher told me that primary school teachers are only given 1 evening of training to teach PE which leads to PE classes being lackluster and ineffective for kids. An argument could be that the government is trying to implement healthy school lunches so should also try to enchorage more PE in order to motivate kids to excerise more and have a healthy lifestyle. Obesity is already a massive problem so that could be mentioned too. I consider myself lucky to have discovered a website that specializes in crafting personalized statements. Their seamless ordering process, coupled with the exceptional quality of their work, exceeded my expectations. The personal writers on their platform possess a deep understanding of the requirements for an impactful personal statement and skillfully incorporated my experiences and goals into a cohesive narrative. I'm grateful for their expertise and dedication to delivering outstanding results.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending