The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Can I afford university?

So I am really hoping to go to Imperial or UCL to study medicine this year but my parents are not contributing financially. Their income is in the top bracket and obviously London accomodation is really expensive! Is there any way that I can afford to go to uni here without parental contribution. Thanks!
student loan?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Shk
OP
Original post by Shk
So I am really hoping to go to Imperial or UCL to study medicine this year but my parents are not contributing financially. Their income is in the top bracket and obviously London accomodation is really expensive! Is there any way that I can afford to go to uni here without parental contribution. Thanks!

The loan itself won't even cover accomodation
I'm at Imperial at the moment and without your parents help I'm sorry but it's near impossible
Unless you get job now and start saving like mad and even then you'd have to keep the job whilst at uni which I don't recommend the workload might be too much to balance.
You need to get your parents on board really
Or when applying for student loan you need to specify they're not helping at all and maybe you can get more
Do your parents live in london? bc u can just stay with them... or find someone u can share accommodation with
Reply 5
Shk
OP
Original post by DoodleDee
I'm at Imperial at the moment and without your parents help I'm sorry but it's near impossible
Unless you get job now and start saving like mad and even then you'd have to keep the job whilst at uni which I don't recommend the workload might be too much to balance.
You need to get your parents on board really
Or when applying for student loan you need to specify they're not helping at all and maybe you can get more

Ahh ok thanks!
Original post by Shk
Ahh ok thanks!

I really hope it works out because if you're smart enough to do medicine at these unis then you really should pursue this.
Ways to cut down costs:
- Rent a shared house with shared utilities
- Rent further out of central london- adds commuting costs but if your not in everyday you can work from home
- Defs try not to eat out a lot- thats my biggest prob

Another thing about Imperial is that its a highly international uni meaning a lot of the student are heavily funded by their parents or even scholarships, so whilst there's gonna be people in the same boat as you, its gonna feel like everyone else there is swimming in money, which I found disheartening to begin with as I felt I didn't particularity belong etc. but I like I said if you're smart you're smart, and I hope the finance aspect doesn't stop you doing medicine at either uni.
Original post by Shk

If your parents are financially secure (or at least in the top income bracket) why won't they contribute financially to your education? It's sort of expected that part of your student finance comes from this route.
Reply 8
Shk
OP
Original post by DoodleDee
I really hope it works out because if you're smart enough to do medicine at these unis then you really should pursue this.
Ways to cut down costs:
- Rent a shared house with shared utilities
- Rent further out of central london- adds commuting costs but if your not in everyday you can work from home
- Defs try not to eat out a lot- thats my biggest prob

Another thing about Imperial is that its a highly international uni meaning a lot of the student are heavily funded by their parents or even scholarships, so whilst there's gonna be people in the same boat as you, its gonna feel like everyone else there is swimming in money, which I found disheartening to begin with as I felt I didn't particularity belong etc. but I like I said if you're smart you're smart, and I hope the finance aspect doesn't stop you doing medicine at either uni.

Ok awesome thanks! I will work on the parents!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending