The Student Room Group

how does housing benefit interact with student loan

I've been trying to get social housing as I'm currently homeless but I've ran into a ton of issues due to the fact I'm a student. I'm already resitting a year on a plan 4 loan so I don't know if I can afford to take a gap year next year so i can actually get financial support from the government, I'm in debt due to rent areers so trying to find housing is proving incredibly difficult due to the fact i can't afford it and cannot get financial support. I'm kind of stuck, i'm also disabled which affects my ability to work although i'm still in the process of trying to get capability for work assessments and pip. Any ideas on what I can do? It feels like I've tried everything short of dropping out and while I don't want it to come to that, if I have to to make ends meet and have an attempt at being able to survive then I'll do it.
Original post by winteredsoul
I've been trying to get social housing as I'm currently homeless but I've ran into a ton of issues due to the fact I'm a student. I'm already resitting a year on a plan 4 loan so I don't know if I can afford to take a gap year next year so i can actually get financial support from the government, I'm in debt due to rent areers so trying to find housing is proving incredibly difficult due to the fact i can't afford it and cannot get financial support. I'm kind of stuck, i'm also disabled which affects my ability to work although i'm still in the process of trying to get capability for work assessments and pip. Any ideas on what I can do? It feels like I've tried everything short of dropping out and while I don't want it to come to that, if I have to to make ends meet and have an attempt at being able to survive then I'll do it.

Have you reached out to your university for support and advice?
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
Have you reached out to your university for support and advice?

Not currently, they’re a small university so the support is pretty limited
Original post by winteredsoul
Not currently, they’re a small university so the support is pretty limited

I think that needs to be your first contact. They might be able to help you with a bursary or accommodation, and they will be able to advise you of the implications if you think you need to suspend your studies for a while.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending