The Student Room Group

University is so expensive

Sent the price list for items my course needs, how am I meant to afford it… casually recommending to buy a macbook… just crazy !
Original post by Etoile2004
Sent the price list for items my course needs, how am I meant to afford it… casually recommending to buy a macbook… just crazy !

Hi @Etoile2004

Depending on the subject you're studying and the university you're at, course costs can really add up, especially at first. Try not to get too disheartened if you feel that you can't afford it, there are a few things you can try.

- Most unis have bursaries which you can apply for if you can't afford a laptop, and if they're recommending a specific one, they often have some that you can borrow, either for a year or for a few hours at a time in the library.
- If students are required to buy certain textbooks, those graduating will be selling theirs for much less- look out for second hand books in your course freshers group chat.
- With some of the more expensive items, it's probably worth waiting until you start, to see what other students are using, and whether you do actually need everything that's recommended.

Hope this helps!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by Etoile2004

Is that a recommendation or a requirement? Is it clear why a macbook is recommended as opposed to a Windows-based laptop?

What course are you doing?

You might want to wait till you've registered for your course in case there are student discounts you'd be eligible for. (Sometimes these are available once you have access to your university email account, as the supplier bases eligibility on your having a university email address.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending