The Student Room Group

Nuclear War with NK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
OP drastically overestimates NK's power.

They would never be able to nuke anyone except perhaps SK. Even if they had the missiles to hit the US (they don't), even if the US and allies hadn't already destroyed the launch sites or missiles themselves or surrounding infrastructure (they would, probably all of the above), even if they successfully fired them (pretty hit and miss with current tests), then you've still got the potential anti-missile systems, which the US keeps pretty secret and are probably more advanced than we realise, particularly regarding electronic warfare.

China would not be stupid enough to get involved. They have too much to lose. But then, neither would the US in the first place, most likely. Both sides will continue to pose at each other until the NK regime collapses, probably in a couple of decades via internal assassination.

I think we all hope China wouldn't get involved, but recent militaristic posturing by China doesn't particularly support the theory that they are going to remain a rational player - they have been extremely bellicose over the Senkakku and have had been playing dangerous near miss games with Japan and the US. If anything, Trump's recent love-in with their government aside, I would say China is currently in a hostile posture towards the US and Japan far more than it has been at any time since Mao.

When you add to that Trump's new rhetoric, which the US hasn't previously engaged in, I would suggest we are heading towards a much more serious situation. It might not be now, but it might be soon. Pre-emptive strikes on NK missle and nuclear development sites may appear unavoidable to Washington. They may fail to win Chinese support for that (my guess is that in that situation, China will react in an anti-US and pro-DPRK way) and then the way is set for NK retaliation which will be aimed at SK and potentially Japan. (If they can get some missiles to work in reality and not just for pretend - a big if, admittedly.)

The real crunch will come when NK starts firing artillery barrages at Seoul - what then? What would SK and the US do? The answer seems inevitable - a full series of major strikes against NK military forces. At that point, my guess is, the Chinese military will come to the fore in the endless power struggles in Beijing and will go for all out war against the US.

I genuinely think we are in a much more dangerous position than previously and this is not just a rerun of the usual posturing nonsense from NK.
Original post by That'sGreat
And so will NK with the US missiles

How? I doubt NK can even detect a US missile launch. They can barely successfully launch a large rocket into the sea. I don't think they even claim to have an anti-ballistic missile program, which says a lot considering some of the claims they do make!

Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think we all hope China wouldn't get involved, but recent militaristic posturing by China doesn't particularly support the theory that they are going to remain a rational player - they have been extremely bellicose over the Senkakku and have had been playing dangerous near miss games with Japan and the US. If anything, Trump's recent love-in with their government aside, I would say China is currently in a hostile posture towards the US and Japan far more than it has been at any time since Mao.

When you add to that Trump's new rhetoric, which the US hasn't previously engaged in, I would suggest we are heading towards a much more serious situation. It might not be now, but it might be soon. Pre-emptive strikes on NK missle and nuclear development sites may appear unavoidable to Washington. They may fail to win Chinese support for that (my guess is that in that situation, China will react in an anti-US and pro-DPRK way) and then the way is set for NK retaliation which will be aimed at SK and potentially Japan. (If they can get some missiles to work in reality and not just for pretend - a big if, admittedly.)

The real crunch will come when NK starts firing artillery barrages at Seoul - what then? What would SK and the US do? The answer seems inevitable - a full series of major strikes against NK military forces. At that point, my guess is, the Chinese military will come to the fore in the endless power struggles in Beijing and will go for all out war against the US.

I genuinely think we are in a much more dangerous position than previously and this is not just a rerun of the usual posturing nonsense from NK.

Sorry don't buy it.

China is interested in potential oil in the S.China sea. They actually have something to gain, plus its a much better tactical position for them. N.korea on the other hand is an untenable regime with limited resources and is actually quite a poor trading partner. They are hardly going to sacrifice their entire economy and dive headlong into a world war to support it - there are probably those in the Chinese government listing the benefits if it does fall. If they were going to go to war it would be on terms better suited to them and with more to gain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Well, the Korean War never actually ended of course, particularly from the NK government viewpoint. They've been trying to kick it off again for some time.

My scenario was different to the original conflict, I envisaged NK seeking to draw Japan in and then China and Japan engaging - this isn't by any means an unlikely situation, there have been ongoing hostilities between China and Japan in recent years over the disputed islands which China laughably claims belong to it. Kim's people believe this will work too, which is why they keep lobbing missiles in the direction of Japan.

You really are full of surprises...I guess we're going to nuke cadiz tomorrow too over Gibraltar, and god knows how many will die in Buenos Aires because minor land disagreements are triggers of nuclear war even where tensions otherwise don't exist or are not at all high.

What's more likely is elevation of USFK to DEFCON 2 and USFJ to DEFCON 3 if there is intel to suggest that fat kim is likely to retaliate. The carrier group destroys or severely damages the Nok nuclear facilities. Fat kim has a tantrum, says he's going to bring thermonuclear war to America (despite not having thermonuclear capabilities) and put out another propaganda video showing America being nuked. Seoul is WAY out of range of artillery so it's not even like Seoul could be shelled. That's all, fat kim has a tantrum, and if he does decide to mass forces on the border UNC and South Korean forces elevate readiness and a draft resolution is put before the UNSC which is passed probably with 13 yes votes, Russia and China abstaining. Fat kim postures a little longer and then backs down with another propaganda video. Alternatively they do attack the South, bathe in hellfire, and see a Korean peninsula united under the flag of the south with the Chinese not best pleased that they have a land border with a state that has close ties with the US and potentially more US military bases on their frontier, but they aren't going to go to war, nobody wins, certainly not the Chinese who are still in a booming era of prosperity.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Seoul is WAY out of range of artillery so it's not even like Seoul could be shelled.

No its not. There are lots of modern artillery pieces that can fire the 50km or so needed.

Otherwise largely agree. Except it won't even get that far.
Original post by nexttime
No its not. There are lots of modern artillery pieces that can fire the 50km or so needed.

Otherwise largely agree. Except it won't even get that far.

You think the North has "smart" munitions and reliable rocket assisted shells? I was referring specifically to unassisted artillery.
Original post by Jammy Duel
You think the North has "smart" munitions and reliable rocket assisted shells? I was referring specifically to unassisted artillery.

Probably not, but it has been widely agreed by all parties, including military intelligence from the US and SK that Seoul is in range of NK artillery and would get hammered in the event of a conflict.
Where do you get the idea that China is backing North Korea? The reports I've read have been on how China is asking the Supreme Leader to flee NK altogether.
And yet another missile test has failed for the glorious military of the north who are going to wipe south Korea, Japan, and America off the map. What as I saying about them being more likely to nuke themselves?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seriously, all this breathless hysterical overexcitement about WWIII and nuclear annihilation. It reads like The Daily Express on steroids.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending